BCF: Bike Chat Forums

E10 petrol

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Jim Mc
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 18:46 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: E10 petrol Reply with quote

Looks like the new E10 fuel is going to obsolete a bunch of older motorcycles.

You can check here: https://check-vehicle-compatibility-e10-petrol.service.gov.uk/

My FI honda is ok but sounds like many of the carb based 125s are going to be useless come the winter. Have most 125s switched over to FI these days?

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d like to think so. I bet there’s at least one or two Chinese bikes still running carbs.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:11 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is not compatible, but it doesn't matter as I can still run it on super unleaded.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:16 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Re: E10 petrol Reply with quote

Jim Mc wrote:
sounds like many of the carb based 125s are going to be useless come the winter.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/50588384668_1556ce6c6e_b.jpg

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:16 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the same was true when leaded petrol was phased out. What of it?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Re: E10 petrol Reply with quote

Jim Mc wrote:
My FI honda is ok but sounds like many of the carb based 125s are going to be useless come the winter. Have most 125s switched over to FI these days?

Both of my bikes are on carbs. I doubt I'll have any issue starting either as I don't leave them standing. If you use them on a regular basis, and your carbs aren't so out of whack it's funny, you won't have an issue.

Most "Super" fuels are still E5, and Esso Supreme, in areas not covered by exceptions, has zero ethanol, but has to have an E5 sticker by law.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 04 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:
Mine is not compatible, but it doesn't matter as I can still run it on super unleaded.

saw a bike that looked just like the one in your profile picture, on the M27, at Southampton, today. were you out that way by any chance?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:50 - 05 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As said, super unleaded should be E5 at most for now. The last bit is of course a slight concern.

Not sure if longer term there's an additive that can be added to E10 to make it more "old-bike friendly"?

Other thing I've read about, not sure how true, but the ethanol being hydroscopic means non-lined steel tanks might be at more risk of rusting if the fuel is left in there for a while?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:17 - 05 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Other thing I've read about, not sure how true, but the ethanol being hydroscopic means non-lined steel tanks might be at more risk of rusting if the fuel is left in there for a while?

From the "E10 ate my hamster" thread, yes water and Ethanol is a thing but only over a long period of time so drain the system if you're laying up a bike for months at a time which you should be doing anyway for safety. Think classic bike, float bowl slightly overflowing, pool of petrol, casually discarded cigarette Shocked

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 05 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:

That isn't a perminant thing you realise..

Less than 5 years maybe and that will be E10 too..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:35 - 05 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:
martin734 wrote:

That isn't a perminant thing you realise..

Less than 5 years maybe and that will be E10 too..

According to what/who? Everything I have read says that super unleaded will stay at no more than 5% ethanol.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:47 - 05 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:

According to what/who? Everything I have read says that super unleaded will stay at no more than 5% ethanol.

I've also read a few things lately that says it'll likely be changed to E10 after 2025 or so.

edit: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/filling-stations-will-switch-to-greener-e10-petrol-next-month-but-aa-says-drivers-should-not-panic-buy-fuel-though-lawnmowers-and-generators-will-need-super-unleaded/ar-AAMOScJ

Quote:
And the DfT has suggested that E5 fuel might only be available for five years - potentially removed from pumps in September 2026.

martin734
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:31 - 05 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a similar panic when they phased out 4* petrol and everyone said it would kill off the classic car and bike, yet you can still buy lead replacement additive. Even if they do make all petrol E10 I am sure that there will be additives available that allow E10 to be used in all vehicles, or vehicle mods that allow them to use it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:57 - 05 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The things that are most likely need to be changed will be fuel pipes and seals. These are likely to be come available quite quickly for most bikes.

I can see some plastic tanks being affected along with fuel filters.

It would take years before ethanol will cause any sort of problem with anything metal, if ever.

So, its not on a par with having to fit hardened valve seats...

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 05 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

martin734 wrote:
I remember a similar panic when they phased out 4* petrol and everyone said it would kill off the classic car and bike, yet you can still buy lead replacement additive. Even if they do make all petrol E10 I am sure that there will be additives available that allow E10 to be used in all vehicles, or vehicle mods that allow them to use it.

Putting in additive when you fill up is a lot easier than trying to extract the ethanol though.

I don't see many people being keen to fill cans with E10, using water to extract it, and drain off the excess before filling their cars up.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:40 - 05 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably any potential damage from E10 is a cumulative thing? For example, if touring around the north of Scotland, getting E5 / super unleaded I can imagine would be challenging, so a handful of tanks of E10 before switching back to E5 again once reaching civilisation?

Apparently my 1995 C90 is OK on E10 according to the generic Honda blurb that all their bikes made for the EU market since 1993 are OK with it, but it seems a tad unlikely unless there were some wholesale changes to the materials used that year. I'll be putting super in it (I do anyway as it seems to like it).

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:11 - 05 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Briggs & Stratton's new and improved Fuel Fit keeps fuel fresh and protects engines more than ever before. Fuel Fit not only keeps the carburettor clean for easy starting but now also protects against the corrosive effects of ethanol and maintains fuel stability for up to 3 years."

photoman
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:53 - 07 Aug 2021    Post subject: E10 or not E10 Reply with quote

There has been a lot of poor information on this subject and the Government website is no different (no change there then). As far as I can tell from reading various sources, listening the the local soothsayer, or even speaking to manufacturers the 'threat' posed by E10 is grossly over egg'd.

The main problem seems be fuel pipes from the tank to the injectors or carbs can decompose/break down through the action of the ethanol but it appears this was anticipated at least 10 years ago and the flexible fuel pipes made since 2010, both as original equipment or aftermarket replacement whilst not ' ethanol proof' (very little is) but they are far better and should last the life of the vehicle.

Some vehicles have plastic tanks and they are suspect, but not proven to be affected by ethanol.

Metal tanks can also be affected by water absorbed by the ethanol leaching out and corroding the bottom of the tank UNLESS the tank is occasionally emptied out and only then if the fuel is not regularly refilled with fresh.

There has not been any mention about injection systems being affected by ethanol, but carburettor floats if made from cheap plastic may be. The soft tip of float bowl needles should not be affected because they are a compound which need changing at intervals anyway. I have not heard of complaints yet after years of E5 use both here and in Europe..
It seems to me that they are following the rhetoric of the popular press where they regularly quote words like:- 'maybe', 'possibly', 'could', 'would'. 'should', as gospel, when it is not certain, merely opinion.

I may be wrong but I don't think so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 09:15 - 09 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the same discussions of doom for E5. It turned out to be an occasional annoyance, not evil poison that would insta-scrap everything older than 10 years. E10 would be the same. If it did destroy a whole load of vehicles, the oil companies would be facing a load of class-action lawsuits and the government would be losing elections.

Ride your bike. If E10 breaks something, replace the broken part with something that works with modern fuel.

photoman
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:09 - 09 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robby wrote:
We had the same discussions of doom for E5. It turned out to be an occasional annoyance, not evil poison that would insta-scrap everything older than 10 years. E10 would be the same. If it did destroy a whole load of vehicles, the oil companies would be facing a load of class-action lawsuits and the government would be losing elections.

Ride your bike. If E10 breaks something, replace the broken part with something that works with modern fuel.

Simply.......Quite!

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:42 - 10 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main issue is E10 detonates like fuck in quite a lot of old two strokes, even if they are bog standard. You either get the heads machined for more capacity / larger squish, retard the ignition massively or use Super unleaded all the fucking time, or a combination of all three if you have a tuned bike like myself.

JustinW
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:50 - 10 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

One area of concern would be the crankshaft seals on older 2 stroke engines.
The ethanol will harden the type older seals. The seals are in direct contact with the fuel, and the hardening will affect compression and lead to harder starting, poor performance etc. They lose flexibility and no longer seal as they should.
It's solvable by replacing the seals with Viton ones, but obviously a bigger job than changing a fuel pipe. Fuel additive should protect the older seals too.

photoman
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:34 - 10 Aug 2021    Post subject: Re: E10 or not E10 Reply with quote

photoman wrote:
There has been a lot of poor information on this subject and the Government website is no different (no change there then). As far as I can tell from reading various sources, listening the the local soothsayer, or even speaking to manufacturers the 'threat' posed by E10 is grossly over egg'd.

The main problem seems be fuel pipes from the tank to the injectors or carbs can decompose/break down through the action of the ethanol but it appears this was anticipated at least 10 years ago and the flexible fuel pipes made since 2010, both as original equipment or aftermarket replacement whilst not ' ethanol proof' (very little is) but they are far better and should last the life of the vehicle.

Some vehicles have plastic tanks and they are suspect, but not proven to be affected by ethanol.

Metal tanks can also be affected by water absorbed by the ethanol leaching out and corroding the bottom of the tank UNLESS the tank is occasionally emptied out and only then if the fuel is not regularly refilled with fresh.

There has not been any mention about injection systems being affected by ethanol, but carburettor floats if made from cheap plastic may be. The soft tip of float bowl needles should not be affected because they are a compound which need changing at intervals anyway. I have not heard of complaints yet after years of E5 use both here and in Europe..
It seems to me that they are following the rhetoric of the popular press where they regularly quote words like:- 'maybe', 'possibly', 'could', 'would'. 'should', as gospel, when it is not certain, merely opinion.

I may be wrong but I don't think so.

Oh Dear I have to eat my words (can I have salt and vinegar to make them taste better.) Having read the HM Gvt website and checked various bikes against the list of those which will be OK and those that won't and saw that the Kawasaki GTR 1000 I was to buy is on the condemned list. (The GTR1400 isn't). Anyway I spoke to two main Kawasaki dealers (Workshop managers) and the answers were broadly the same. E10 will cause fuel hoses to deteriorate quite quickly in comparison to E5 but the main problem is likely to be:- It is likely to make the GTR run hot and may damage engine internals.

I know the GTR1000 was a bike with a history of running hot already so I have stepped back and declined the GTR I was intending to buy and will consider my other options. Honda's appear to pretty well OK (Post 93) as well as BMW's (all models) As are the Hinkley Triumphs,

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:10 - 10 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would it make it run hotter? It's effectively got a higher octane than normal fuel and is less calorific?

What am I missing?

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 10 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're worried about it, buy an infra-red heat gun and keep an eye on it like that?

Had several fill ups of e10 on my cx500 now. No difference.

Mind you, had about 2-3k miles in scandanavia in 2018 running on e10 too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 257 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3