Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Do you use full or part-synthetic oil?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:25 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Do you use full or part-synthetic oil? Reply with quote

Just out of interest - do you guys shell out more for the extra benefits of full-synthetic bike engine oil or are you happy with part-synthetic?

Also - do brand new higher-spec/higher-value bikes specify full synthetic oil in the service manual? My bikes have all been 20 years old - would be interested to know if newer engines demand higher spec oil than in the past.

Cheers.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Comma Eurolite which is a semi-synthetic. I've never had a problem with it TBH. Smile

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:25 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander wrote:
I use Comma Eurolite which is a semi-synthetic. I've never had a problem with it TBH. Smile

Yeah, I'm sure part-syth is perfectly decent oil to put in the bike - I've been using it for years with no problems.

Just interested if anyone here insists on using fully-synth and why they think it's necessary.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:32 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, I do use 10w40 semi MA2 on my bike when the 'oil change' occurs.

But the bike burns so much, that between the oil changes I top up the burnt oil with 20w50 mineral in the summer, and 15w40 mineral in the winter only because that's what I have. Basically whatever is cheap and on offer I buy. £3 for 2litre here, £10 for 5litres there.. When there's a deal, I buy it and bulk up.

At a pint burnt every 3 to 4 hundred miles, cheap is the way to go for me!

The other bikes use transmission oil so they're not much of a bother for annual changing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:44 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blurredman wrote:
To be fair, I do use 10w40 semi MA2 on my bike when the 'oil change' occurs.

But the bike burns so much, that between the oil changes I top up the burnt oil with 20w50 mineral in the summer, and 15w40 mineral in the winter only because that's what I have. Basically whatever is cheap and on offer I buy. £3 for 2litre here, £10 for 5litres there.. When there's a deal, I buy it and bulk up.

At a pint burnt every 3 to 4 hundred miles, cheap is the way to go for me!

The other bikes use transmission oil so they're not much of a bother for annual changing.

Yeah, I had a Yamaha that used to burn a lot of oil, keeping it topped up can get expensive if you do lot of miles Very Happy

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:33 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Re: Do you use full or part-synthetic oil? Reply with quote

Droog wrote:

Also - do brand new higher-spec/higher-value bikes specify full synthetic oil in the service manual? My bikes have all been 20 years old - would be interested to know if newer engines demand higher spec oil than in the past.

Cheers.

My R Nine T just says 15w 50 API SJ JASO MA2 and has a recommendation for Advantec - but that's a recommendation only.

Castrol Power 4T exceeds this specification despite being semi synthetic.

I use a very cheap bulk buy Shell Helix oil for top ups because it needs many, many top ups.

On my Enfield, ironically, the owners all seem to use Silkolene fully synthetic. I mean.... LOL??!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aprilia wrote:
Use top-branded oils that meet or exceed the requirements of APISJ/CCMC G4/ACEA A3-04/ JA-SO MA specifications

I don't know what that means, I just stick fully synth in because I ride fairly hard and in my head it feels like it will offer better lubrication.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:39 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

For four strokes I use whatever semi synth happens to be on offer.

This includes in my GSXR400 race bike which revs to 15500 rpm.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:47 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Aprilia wrote:
Use top-branded oils that meet or exceed the requirements of APISJ/CCMC G4/ACEA A3-04/ JA-SO MA specifications

I don't know what that means, I just stick fully synth in because I ride fairly hard and in my head it feels like it will offer better lubrication.

JASO MA is essentially lack of friction modifiers that might affect slippy things like clutches.

API is American Petroleum Institute, CCMC is Comite Des Cpnstructeurs or some such French (adopted European) standard, ACEA is the new version of that. Essentially all standards bodies. The numbers and letters by them indicate the standard the oil meets.

There's a guy on here, or there was, that works in the industry and did a good job of explaining the benefits of fully synthetic over semi. That said, many won't ever see any benefit unless they're seriously quick riders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:01 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually aim for full synth, but have no issue with semi. It's changed every 3-4k anyway so not like I need it to last forever.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:33 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
On my Enfield, ironically, the owners all seem to use Silkolene fully synthetic. I mean.... LOL??!

Ha!, that does seem like massive overkill Very Happy

c_dug wrote:

Yeah, I heard that fully synth is preferred by a lot of track riders where the engine and gearbox are being used to the max.

Mylarballoonsfan wrote:
For four strokes I use whatever semi synth happens to be on offer. This includes in my GSXR400 race bike which revs to 15500 rpm.

Yeah, I'm sure that most modern, decent semi-synths are well up to the job.

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
Usually aim for full synth, but have no issue with semi. It's changed every 3-4k anyway so not like I need it to last forever.

I was reading that fully synth can cope with longer service intervals, but changing every 4k is a good rule to follow regardless.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:44 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

OEM recommended Synthetic.

Specifically Castrol Power 1 Racing 5w 40.

Both bikes get it.

OEM had Since changed allegiance to another Brand. The other brand is now the best oil to use in your Beemr. Rolling Eyes Whankirs.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:03 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shell did (might still) have a full synth 4L that was only 2-3£ more than their semi offering so whenever the price is good, full synth.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:07 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mylarballoonsfan wrote:
For four strokes I use whatever semi synth happens to be on offer.

This includes in my GSXR400 race bike which revs to 15500 rpm.

This.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:27 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the bike and what the manufacturer recommends.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use what Yamaha recommends, 10w40 semi.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:27 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been using specified by the factory fully synthetic in the KTM since I bought it.The clutch plates are holding out well despite several enduros,H&H races and lots of green laning in between.

Oil is cheap as against an engine rebuild,so I tend to change the oil every 1000 miles.

Always have a 'Plan B'

Simon13245
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:37 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my NSR I use full synthetic, it's just better in every way. The same with my car. It's a little more expensive option but I want my engine to last as long as it can.

Quality oil filter is also an important thing. In my car for example (Ford) cheaper oil filters weigh less and have less dense filtering material than the OEM ones.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:59 - 11 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viffers and 125's are not fussy.
Cheap JASO MA2 10W40 semi synth. Usually Westway. Changing it regularly (4K on Viffer, 2K on 125) is fairly cheap and decent insurance, and happily is about 5L in volume.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 03:43 - 12 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack has enjoyed very many pints of real ale with John Rowland of Silkolene fame.

John's claim to fame is inventing oil, or at least re-inventing it. Interestingly, for very many years & despite what it said on the fairings & bodywork, almost every top flight race team used Silkolene products !

If you want the truth about lubricating oil then seek out one of the few interviews John has done with germalists that lasted longer than 2mins.

They are out there.

Whatever you do, don;t ask John "so, what oil should I use".

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:23 - 12 Aug 2021    Post subject: Re: Do you use full or part-synthetic oil? Reply with quote

I use whatever I have on the shelf. That depends on what I spot cheap. Sometimes that's fancy branded synth sometimes it's pikey brand semi. Currently got huge amounts of vavoline in semi and synth from when Halfords were doing it mega cheap.

I did 60k+ miles on an old ZZR using home bargains cheapest so I don't think being fussy on oil actually matters.

arry wrote:

Blame Hitchcocks it's the stuff they push. You know if they recommended pissing on your Enfield every night the herd would Laughing

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:34 - 12 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon13245 wrote:
it's just better in every way.

In which ways is it better in every way? And;

Simon13245 wrote:

I want my engine to last as long as it can.

How is it going to help with that?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:41 - 12 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:

Oil is cheap as against an engine rebuild,so I tend to change the oil every 1000 miles.

It's always an interesting argument because you can extend it out or reign it in.

By using the same argument I could say why not every 500 miles, then?

Also possible to question why it isn't every 2000 miles instead?

I watched this behaviour grow on car forums years ago when the likes of Opie Oils started infiltrating them and peddling very expensive ester race oils. The most almighty oil threads always ended with here, buy this 60 quid tub of magic potion and make sure you drain it out and take it down to the tip in less than 3000 miles time and we can start all over again.

The club set up an oil analysis service - send off a new and a used sample and see what's going on. Hardly anybody used it they just buried their head into the oil seller's lap, but those that did found that 15,000 miles and two years service were perfectly plausible on a well running engine that isn't throwing raw fuel down its bores with crap mapping.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:01 - 12 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Viffers and 125's are not fussy.
Cheap JASO MA2 10W40 semi synth. Usually Westway. Changing it regularly (4K on Viffer, 2K on 125) is fairly cheap and decent insurance, and happily is about 5L in volume.

I tried fully synth on my 750 years ago and it didn't sound right at all, it had a really noticable "tappy" sound. Switched back to semi and it was instantly fine again. And actually, thinking about it, my recently purchased 800 sounds the same way, I wonder if the previous owner has put fully synth in it? Thinking

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 12 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

In truth very few OEMs demand "synthetic" or "semi-synthetic" or whatever - they usually ask for a viscosity grade (eg 10W-40, 15W-50 etc) and a performance specification (API SH, JASO MA etc). It is up to the oil companies to come up with whatever formulation will hit the specification's test limits and this includes what type of base oil/s is/are used. The use of base oil descriptors is also somewhat subjective and not defined in any specification or other protocols so is best considered to be interesting information, but I wouldn't use it as a primary selection criterion.

To answer the question, I use a full-synthetic oil in mine because to get a 10W-50 with the performance needed that's what it takes; my bike runs hot, hence the need for a higher viscosity (some run 10W-60 in them). In my previous bike I used a 10W-40 which happened to be semi-synthetic.

As for how the base oil affects the engine's running - any noticeable effect will not strictly be because of the base oil type (eg synthetic vs semi) but will be because of the viscosity and therefore oil film thickness of the oil at a given temperature. Fully-synthetic oils tend to have a higher viscosity index (VI), meaning their viscosity changes less with temperature compared to a semi. The SAE viscosity grades are essentially determined at 100°C - so at this temperature you can expect any oil that is 10W-40 to be approximately the same viscosity. However if you get hotter than 100°C a synthetic oil will tend to be thicker than a semi; go cooler and it will be thinner than the semi. These differences may be enough to notice, particularly on viscosity-sensitive engines.

What a synthetic oil does offer over a semi is better cold flow, better high temperature oil films, reduced oxidation hence longer oil life and reduced volatility. This comes at a cost though, to your wallet - synthetic base oils are more expensive than mineral base oils (I mention mineral base oils because that's what a semi-synthetic oil contains, a mix of some synthetic and some mineral).

Where a choice between semi or fully synthetic exists (eg at 10W-40 there are plenty of options) it comes down to use - the fully-synthetic oils will be targeted at high performance use (track days for example) because of the VI benefit and thermal resistance I mentioned before.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 248 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3