Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Advice needed for a newbie

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:10 - 23 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
Mountain_Man86 wrote:
All this speak of MOD1 and MOD 2 taking weeks to complete is odd to me. I took my MOD 1 in the morning, and did the MOD 2 in the afternoon. I passed them both in one day!

https://c.tenor.com/8pfc6_evUYYAAAAM/poop-machine-brown-liquid.gif

Laughing Laughing

I'm confused by what this is supposed to mean?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:34 - 23 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

It rhymes with gonorrhoea.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:38 - 24 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update Tony? How did your training days go?

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:53 - 24 Mar 2022    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Hi All,

had 4 days training with mixed results.

Road work not too bad, got told off for "straight lining" roundabouts. 4th day was Wed 16th, it pissed down! Abandoned the session after 4 hours, by which time I was soaked through to the skin, in spite of leather trousers and an allegedly waterproof biking jacket.

Having difficulties with the slow riding. Managed the ride at walking pace, followed by the manual handling. Did the slalom once, but not with the figure of 8 tagged on the end. Did the figure of 8 on it's own but dropped the bike after, according to my instructor, about 10 "8"s. Luckily I had fitted some bespoke engine/crash bars a couple of days before, so no damage to bike or self.

Going to get some private practice in before I go back to the school. My Grandson will ride my bike to the site we use while I follow on in my car, armed with cones and diagrams. When I can string the manoeuvres together, from walking pace through to figure of 8, I will go back to the school for a couple of sessions, which I hope will see me A2 ready.

Cheers

Tony N
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:58 - 24 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck with your practice and test when it comes

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 24 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep at it. Thumbs Up Wet weather is good practice too as your test may well be in such weather. Often it's the "peripheral" issues, like dealing with a misty visor, discomfort from wet clothes etc.. that can make life harder with wet weather learning, rather than the bike itself.

For wet weather, get yourself some waterproof hi-viz PPE overtrousers and wear them over your bike kit. I've got a pair that were inexpensive (£20 I think, they're ex-work ones) and have kept me dry even after hours in the rain. Leather isn't the best in the rain.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:16 - 24 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want cheap waterproofs then look on ebay for surplus police/ military stuff. It's usually Gortex so is better quality than whatever you'd buy new for the same price.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383994234506?hash=item5967d7068a:g:X9kAAOSwXIpgPktN

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:41 - 25 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The technique I was taught for slow speed riding (and it's always worked very well for me) is as follows -

1. As you approach the start of the u-turn/figure of 8, begin to drag the rear brake. Don't use the front brake at slow speed, it makes the front dive and upsets the bike, making it feel like it wants to fall over.
2. Begin to slip the clutch and to apply a little constant throttle. The clutch should be neither fully engaged or disengaged, but slipping at the bite point the whole time. This ensures that the bike is always trying to "push" forward, but the same time you won't stall, and any "chugginess" from the engine is smoothed out.
3. Control your speed during the manoeuvre with the rear brake, keep the clutch slipping and a constant throttle throughout.

It's a little bit fiddly to do the first few times because you're trying to get the clutch slip/throttle/rear brake all correct at the same time, but once you get it right, you can ride very very slowly if you want to, and the bike will remain stable the whole time.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 25 Mar 2022    Post subject: Re: Update Reply with quote

Tony Norton wrote:
Hi All,

had 4 days training with mixed results.

Road work not too bad, got told off for "straight lining" roundabouts. 4th day was Wed 16th, it pissed down! Abandoned the session after 4 hours, by which time I was soaked through to the skin, in spite of leather trousers and an allegedly waterproof biking jacket.

Having difficulties with the slow riding. Managed the ride at walking pace, followed by the manual handling. Did the slalom once, but not with the figure of 8 tagged on the end. Did the figure of 8 on it's own but dropped the bike after, according to my instructor, about 10 "8"s. Luckily I had fitted some bespoke engine/crash bars a couple of days before, so no damage to bike or self.

Going to get some private practice in before I go back to the school. My Grandson will ride my bike to the site we use while I follow on in my car, armed with cones and diagrams. When I can string the manoeuvres together, from walking pace through to figure of 8, I will go back to the school for a couple of sessions, which I hope will see me A2 ready.

Cheers

Tony N

Respect - keep at it. Wink

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

blamski
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:33 - 30 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
The technique I was taught for slow speed riding (and it's always worked very well for me) is as follows -

1. As you approach the start of the u-turn/figure of 8, begin to drag the rear brake. Don't use the front brake at slow speed, it makes the front dive and upsets the bike, making it feel like it wants to fall over.
2. Begin to slip the clutch and to apply a little constant throttle. The clutch should be neither fully engaged or disengaged, but slipping at the bite point the whole time. This ensures that the bike is always trying to "push" forward, but the same time you won't stall, and any "chugginess" from the engine is smoothed out.
3. Control your speed during the manoeuvre with the rear brake, keep the clutch slipping and a constant throttle throughout.

It's a little bit fiddly to do the first few times because you're trying to get the clutch slip/throttle/rear brake all correct at the same time, but once you get it right, you can ride very very slowly if you want to, and the bike will remain stable the whole time.

these are good tips. i'm currently on the MOD1 (or closed circuit as its called over here) and have just about got the slow part and fast parts nailed... finally. got the exam in two weeks and i'm feeling confident for the first time.

i find that the key to the slow part as been to get the speed about right on passing the first pole, getting the angle on the first pole right, and then always looking where you want to go. i used to use the clutch but now find i have more control just gently dabbing the rear brake if i really have to

the U-turn on the faster part has been the trickiest to get smoothly, so i'll definitely try your tips tomorrow.

the instructor told me that i wasn't losing too much time on the turn though. i've only been getting consistently under 25 seconds by following his advice to absolutely cane it until you're approaching the first cone.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:47 - 31 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly when manouvering slowly i find tilting my hips forward helps. I have no idea why but curious if that works for others? Im hardly aware these days after ten years riding that I use any special technique though unless the ground is particularly rough.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 31 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting up nice and straight, but relaxed, bit of gentle grip of the tank can help sometimes, keep head up etc.. and look where you're going not right in front of you (which almost seems counter-intuitive when doing something like figure of 8 as you can end up almost looking behind you).

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:02 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Update and query Reply with quote

Hi All,

As I have said before, I have arranged for my grandson to ride his bike to my place, and from there ride mine to a location where I have been practicing for Mod 1.

The practice has been going quite well, having mastered the slalom, figure of 8, "U" turn, controlled stop and slow riding. Not enough room, in my estimation, for the "faster" tests, 8 through 11. This latter raises a question - why the hell are the speeds measured in rounded km/h. We're not in the EU any more! Perhaps the suits that sit behind desks dreaming up fiendish ways to test us are closet "Remainers"? Anyway, my Mod 1 test is booked for 15th June, with an instructed day's practice on the 14th. Wish me luck.

While I, hopefully, have your attention I have a question. I have been trying to modify my profile to cover a change of email address, but I keep getting the message "Your postcode does not translate into a map reference. Check it and try again". Why? My postcode is a perfectly normal urban code that even the Post Office seems capable of finding, as I get my copy of MCN every Wednesday on the dot.

I don't know if this will get edited out, but here goes. My new email address, effective now, (my old one will expire on 16th June when I get disconnected from Virgin Media - my choice.) is now edited in my profile.

Happy biking

Tony N.

Last edited by Tony Norton on 07:29 - 02 Jun 2022; edited 1 time in total

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:05 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad its going ok Tony, is your mod1 practice on the actual test site

its very useful to have that practice on the actual site, invaluable

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:12 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Location of Practice. Reply with quote

Hi Brun,

no, my practice is not on the actual test site. My instructor tells me that, due to the size of the test site, they use the "Avoidance to left" diagram. I wonder, does that mean that the alternative to an emergency stop is to mount the pavement?

Cheers

Tony

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: Update and query Reply with quote

Tony Norton wrote:
I have been trying to modify my profile to cover a change of email address, but I keep getting the message "Your postcode does not translate into a map reference.

Oh I get the same - presumably it's just a bug in the system.

Tony Norton wrote:
I don't know if this will get edited out, but here goes. My new email address, effective now, (my old one will expire on 16th June when I get disconnected from Virgin Media - my choice.) is: -"tonynorton***@***.com".

I strongly suggest you edit your post and delete that address - by posting it publicly it will be vulnerable to being harvested by ne'er-do-wells and before you know it, your shiny new address will be deluged with adverts for penis enlargement drugs. If you can't enter your new email into your profile there's no point posting it here - there's nobody here who can or will transfer it to your profile.

All the best with Mod 1! Thumbs Up

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:39 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

The postcode thing has been broken for years and years.

I suppose it's possible that it might be fixed eventually. Laughing

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:51 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Private messages Reply with quote

Question is, as the address in my post was obviously edited, if someone wants to pm me, how can they when my old address expires?

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:58 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

best of luck with the mod1, i was surprised at how tight the u-turn felt, but as long as you 'look where you want to go' like with normal riding you will be fine

i buggered up my first mod1 on the figure of 8, just made a mess of it, my entry/exit on 1 was too tight iirc which left me with no room to come back around properly, again looking where you want the bike to go works wonders on this aswell

their wont be a pavement on the site, it will be like a flat car park with what looks at first like a sea of cones

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:06 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: Private messages Reply with quote

Tony Norton wrote:
if someone wants to pm me, how can they when my old address expires?

They won't be able to! But if they wanted to for some reason, they're unlikely to know that your email address can be found within a random post of yours somewhere on the forum. Trust me - you want to delete it sharpish !!

Unfortunately the owner of the forum doesn't spend any significant time on maintaining it, so bugs like this (and often much worse) do crop up. It's a free service though and it is what it is.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 01 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think postcode has been broken since conversion to HTTPS and TTL 1.2?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 02:24 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: Private messages Reply with quote

Tony Norton wrote:
Question is, as the address in my post was obviously edited, if someone wants to pm me, how can they when my old address expires?

The address is still in your post, Freddyfruitbat edited in his post before posting his reply.

Are you leaving the postcode box blank when you try to change your postcode in your profile?

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 07:27 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Post Code Reply with quote

Thanks for that Ste,

worked a treat with a blank Postcode.

Cheers

Tony

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 02 Jun 2022    Post subject: Re: Update and query Reply with quote

Tony Norton wrote:
This latter raises a question - why the hell are the speeds measured in rounded km/h. We're not in the EU any more! Perhaps the suits that sit behind desks dreaming up fiendish ways to test us are closet "Remainers"?

The whole "we can choose the shape of our bananas" argument was complete utter horse shit from the very beginning as all extant EU laws were already written into UK law too. The laws were UK laws and now remain UK laws.

CBT, Mod 1 and Mod 2 is UK law under the Road Traffic (Driver Licensing and Information Systems) Act 1989, Road Safety Act 2006 and Road Traffic Act 1988 as well as the supporting secondary legislation (Statutory Instruments, etc) of each.

Tony Norton wrote:
no, my practice is not on the actual test site. My instructor tells me that, due to the size of the test site, they use the "Avoidance to left" diagram. I wonder, does that mean that the alternative to an emergency stop is to mount the pavement?

No, the intent of the hazard avoidance exercise is to show you can avoid a hazard in the road like a pothole, raised service cover, etc. It doesn't assume it's a car you're having to avoid.

Good luck with your test mate!

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:01 - 16 Jun 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did it go Tony ?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 1 year, 286 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9