Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Advice needed for a newbie

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:39 - 04 Feb 2022    Post subject: Re: Time to think carefully Reply with quote

Tony Norton wrote:
With the benefit of hindsight I obviously didn't think far enough ahead. I intend now to contact some schools to see what bikes they have to offer. When that's done I will make a decision "A2" or DAS.

Good luck with whatever route you choose, more bikers equals more better in my opinion. If it was me, I would simply grit my teeth and get through on the SV650, it's only going to be 4 or 5 days you need to be on it to get through DAS (including tests but excluding resits).

One thing I will note though is that the SV650 has a more crouched position compared to my ER-6F, but even then its' definitely not crouched over like a sports bike. Maybe try a taster session with a school that uses an ER-6F/ ER-6N or the Ninja 650 that replaced them.

At the end of the day, it's got a lot to do with determination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJniYZ77xqg

EDIT: Please ignore the hillbilly laughing at the biker, the guy on the bike is a boss.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 04 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of us may never reach Tony's age, much less consider learning to ride a bike at it. I'm not sure any of us are qualified to understand fully from his perspective just what correlates to 'sporty'.

I'll be happy to still be sucking air at 70 never mind riding a motorbike at 80 plus!!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:50 - 04 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father-in-law has gotten back into bikes in his late '60s. Thinking of his "crowd" (Last of the Summer Wine but on Harleys) they're all maniacs!

But going at it cold, in your 80s?! Kudos, sir Smile

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 17:48 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: A decision has been made. Reply with quote

Hi All,

Nobby was right, what's the point of an A licence if you're going to be happy on an A2 compliant bike. Well, having ditched the Vulcan, no guarantee that remapping will get it over 50Kw, and the 'cruiser' position probably not being ideal for Mod 1 of the test, I reckon I have found the ideal bike: -

2022 Honda CMX500 Rebel S. It's 471cc, quite enough for me at the moment and, more important, it fits me and I fit it. Although about 5'9" tall (used to be more like 5'10") I am short in the leg for that height, and I feel so comfortable on the Rebel. Going to put in an order by the end of this week.

Dan Sutherland's review on MCN is very informative. So there's no rev counter, I go by ear anyway, and I am getting a bit fed up of the 6000rpm in top gear at only 50mph on my YS125. If I pulled those revs in my car I'd have lost my licence years ago! The brakes a bit indefinite? I would have opted for softer pads, more than adequate for my intended use.

So that's the bike. The progress from there? Training for the A2 licence. My local instructor has offered to come round to mine, with his intercom gear etc., and my lessons will start from home, ideal. Checked with my insurance company this afty and, yes they can insure it (fully comp), as well as my YS. Only condition, I must take the test within 60 days of the start of the policy. Hopefully the necessary number of lessons, and the test, can be fitted within that time frame.

If all goes well, roll on the summer!

Cheers
Tony N
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Re: A decision has been made. Reply with quote

Tony Norton wrote:
Hi All,

Nobby was right, what's the point of an A licence if you're going to be happy on an A2 compliant bike. Well, having ditched the Vulcan, no guarantee that remapping will get it over 50Kw, and the 'cruiser' position probably not being ideal for Mod 1 of the test, I reckon I have found the ideal bike: -

2022 Honda CMX500 Rebel S. It's 471cc, quite enough for me at the moment and, more important, it fits me and I fit it. Although about 5'9" tall (used to be more like 5'10") I am short in the leg for that height, and I feel so comfortable on the Rebel. Going to put in an order by the end of this week.

Dan Sutherland's review on MCN is very informative. So there's no rev counter, I go by ear anyway, and I am getting a bit fed up of the 6000rpm in top gear at only 50mph on my YS125. If I pulled those revs in my car I'd have lost my licence years ago! The brakes a bit indefinite? I would have opted for softer pads, more than adequate for my intended use.

So that's the bike. The progress from there? Training for the A2 licence. My local instructor has offered to come round to mine, with his intercom gear etc., and my lessons will start from home, ideal. Checked with my insurance company this afty and, yes they can insure it (fully comp), as well as my YS. Only condition, I must take the test within 60 days of the start of the policy. Hopefully the necessary number of lessons, and the test, can be fitted within that time frame.

If all goes well, roll on the summer!

Cheers
Tony N

Good luck, seriously with only 60 days to get from here to test, you need to get the school the instructor is coming from to book things asap and hopefully you'll be ready when the day comes.

EDIT: On read-back it look like I might be facetious but I assure you I am not. There is still a backlog on tests at the moment, you need to be getting them booked in with haste. All the best with your training and tests, remember to keep us informed with your progress!

Last edited by Fat Angry Scotsman on 19:50 - 08 Feb 2022; edited 1 time in total

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suit you nicely that and it's got some of the nice things that old bikes just didn't have.

Good luck and let us know how you get on Smile

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:53 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: 60 days Reply with quote

Hi Scotsman,

it is 60 days from the start of the policy which I will ensure is the midnight preceding the day on which I have my first training session.

So the sequence will be, get bike, put "L" plates on it, arrange first session with instructor, ride bike up and down my drive, implement insurance to start at the appropriate time and date.

Tony
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 08 Feb 2022    Post subject: Re: 60 days Reply with quote

Tony Norton wrote:
Hi Scotsman,

it is 60 days from the start of the policy which I will ensure is the midnight preceding the day on which I have my first training session.

So the sequence will be, get bike, put "L" plates on it, arrange first session with instructor, ride bike up and down my drive, implement insurance to start at the appropriate time and date.

Tony

Mate, 60 days is still a very short window, especially if you need to do any re-sits on MOD 1 or MOD 2. Just bear it in mind, hopefully if there will be an overrun then the insurance company will be amicable and extend the coverage.

BRUN
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:52 - 10 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck Tony, sounds like you have narrowed down your needs perfectly

As has been mentioned, ask your instructor how busy the local test centre is, and how often can he get you on lessons ? My local test centre had approx a 6 week wait

My own learning journey took a lot longer than it should have, work prevented me from doing it all really close together, and then I was unlucky to have my lessons, and tests, paused for a long time with covid restrictions, repeatedly

Keep us posted

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 10 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRUN wrote:

As has been mentioned, ask your instructor how busy the local test centre is, and how often can he get you on lessons ? My local test centre had approx a 6 week wait

My own learning journey took a lot longer than it should have, work prevented me from doing it all really close together, and then I was unlucky to have my lessons, and tests, paused for a long time with covid restrictions, repeatedly

Keep us posted

Tony, please bear this in mind, here is my times and I did them as fast as possible between each other:

CBT - 12/12/20
Theory - 17/12/20
MOD 1 - 14/06/21
MOD 2 - 29/07/21

This was done where the school I was doing DAS with booked the MOD 1 and 2 in the very first slots they were allocated, it literally could not have been faster and it was still 45 days between MOD 1 and MOD 2.

CBT to Theory = 5 days (I booked both my CBT and Theory tests just under 3 months in advance)

Theory to MOD 1 = 179 days,

MOD 1 to MOD 2 = 45 days.

CBT to Full license took me 229 days and it was as fast as I could possibly do it due to lockdowns and restrictions.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 10 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
BRUN wrote:

Keep us posted

Tony, please bear this in mind, here is my times and I did them as fast as possible between each other:

CBT - 12/12/20
Theory - 17/12/20
MOD 1 - 14/06/21
MOD 2 - 29/07/21

This was done where the school I was doing DAS with booked the MOD 1 and 2 in the very first slots they were allocated, it literally could not have been faster and it was still 45 days between MOD 1 and MOD 2.

CBT to Theory = 5 days (I booked both my CBT and Theory tests just under 3 months in advance)

CBT to Full license took me 229 days and it was as fast as I could possibly do it due to lockdowns and restrictions.

He's already got a CBT and theory passed though. I sat my mod 1 and 2 at the start of 2020 and got them both done within about 50 days because my CBT was running out so it's not impossible, but I'm not sure what it's like after Covid.

Best of luck to Tony though, at that age I can see why you don't want a heavy 650. Interesting to see you've managed to get a policy like that. I've seen a lot of people talk about buying a bike to sit the tests on, but most bin the idea when they think about the insurance.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 10 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ayrton wrote:
He's already got a CBT and theory passed though. I sat my mod 1 and 2 at the start of 2020 and got them both done within about 50 days because my CBT was running out so it's not impossible, but I'm not sure what it's like after Covid.

Best of luck to Tony though, at that age I can see why you don't want a heavy 650. Interesting to see you've managed to get a policy like that. I've seen a lot of people talk about buying a bike to sit the tests on, but most bin the idea when they think about the insurance.

I know he's already got them, I focussed on the days between MOD 1 and MOD 2 which I noted as 45 days... 5 days faster than you did yours. Even then I don't think 15 days is a sufficient window if he needs to resit either MOD 1 or MOD 2 he's probably going to overrun the 60 day window his insurer has given him.

In your case he would only have 10 days, which is even tighter.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:53 - 10 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, my son did all his tests last year; the training school apparently made continuous block bookings of 'anonymous' test appointments, so basically as soon as you were deemed by the instructor to be ready for Mod 1 and 2, they just put your name on an appointment within about a week's time. I don't know how many do this, but it can make the process pretty quick

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 10 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
For what it's worth, my son did all his tests last year; the training school apparently made continuous block bookings of 'anonymous' test appointments, so basically as soon as you were deemed by the instructor to be ready for Mod 1 and 2, they just put your name on an appointment within about a week's time. I don't know how many do this, but it can make the process pretty quick

That's exactly what Bikerite in Glasgow did for me and it was still 45 days in-between. Only way I would have got it quicker would have been if someone else booked through them cancelled with enough notice for the change to be done: which didn't happen in my case.

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:53 - 10 Feb 2022    Post subject: Time to test dates. Reply with quote

Hi All,

I think I must be lucky Scotsman. I told the lady who runs the school I use about the 60 day condition, and asked if they pre-booked test dates. The answer was yes, and we should be able to get through it all in 30 days. Whether it will be that quick we shall have to wait and see. At the moment I have 4 training days booked, 8th, 9th, 15th and 16th of March. I intend to ask the vendor to hold off on the registration until March, and I will activate the insurance on the 7th.

Here's hoping.
Tony

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:10 - 10 Feb 2022    Post subject: Re: Time to test dates. Reply with quote

Tony Norton wrote:
Hi All,

I think I must be lucky Scotsman. I told the lady who runs the school I use about the 60 day condition, and asked if they pre-booked test dates. The answer was yes, and we should be able to get through it all in 30 days. Whether it will be that quick we shall have to wait and see. At the moment I have 4 training days booked, 8th, 9th, 15th and 16th of March. I intend to ask the vendor to hold off on the registration until March, and I will activate the insurance on the 7th.

Here's hoping.
Tony

That's good news, I was just worried that with a short amount of time there was not much margin of error. Good luck on the tests when they come. For me MOD 1 was harder than MOD 2, just take your time and I know it's easier said than done but don't worry about it on the day, I think mind-set for me was the biggest thing as I was over-thinking things a lot. The guys on here generally have great advice based on their own experiences too.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 10 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Tony, sounds like you're getting sorted. Mod 1 is all about being pedantic, no matter how ridiculous it seems. If the instructor tells you to do x y z, you just do it. That's how to pass it. Forget anything else until after mod 1 as mod1 is so far removed from mod 2, it's best to completely forget about anything else until mod1 is out of the way.

Good luck and keep us posted. Thumbs Up

Tony Norton
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:23 - 10 Feb 2022    Post subject: MOD1 is the hard part. Reply with quote

Hi Scotsman,

I am hoping that the confidence I will get from knowing that I could, should I need to, put both feet flat on the ground, will enable me to keep both feet on the pegs without worrying about possibly dropping the bike.

My grandson's bike insurance has the "able to ride bikes not belonging to him etc." clause. My bike would have to be insured for that to be valid, so if I insure it from the 1st March he could ride it to our off-highway location for me, I would go in my car, and I will maybe be able to get in a bit of practice before, and between, my training sessions. Very similar to what I did before my CBT, only I trailed my YS. I don't have the trailer any more, but I trust my grandson, now a family man, (wife and 4 year old son), to not do anything stupid on my bike. I still have the bloody great stack of cones I purchased prior to my CBT.

Will update you as appropriate.

Happy biking,
Tony

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:20 - 10 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only hint is to treat yourself as 'on test' as soon as you enter the test centre.

Talk yourself through moves verbally so that they are memorised and also by talking to yourself you keep your breathing steady. All if which help you to stay calm and relaxed.

As others have said, this is a simple game with simple rules.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 10 Feb 2022    Post subject: Re: A decision has been made. Reply with quote

Tony Norton wrote:
2022 Honda CMX500 Rebel S...

I had the gen 1 for a while so if there's anything you'd like to know let me know Smile The tl;dr it wasn't an ideal bike for doing 200+ mile trips otherwise I would have kept it.

Thinking about what your needs might be I'd suggest contemplating a better quality seat. On a "normal" bike you can shift you weight about a bit when some unmentionable part becomes numb but you're stuck with one (largely comfortable) position on a cruiser. Not that I'm saying the Honda one is particularly bad.

You might also consider heated grips. Just bear in mind the handlebars are 1 inch and not the more "sporty" 7/8"

RAYK47
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:36 - 17 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did MOD1 and MOD 2 a week apart, and that was only becauise it was recommended by my instructor (in case i failed MOD1 i needed time to cancel MOD2 without incurring a charge). maybe COVID has elongated that a little.

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
BRUN wrote:

Keep us posted

CBT - 12/12/20
Theory - 17/12/20
MOD 1 - 14/06/21
MOD 2 - 29/07/21

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:38 - 22 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this speak of MOD1 and MOD 2 taking weeks to complete is odd to me. I took my MOD 1 in the morning, and did the MOD 2 in the afternoon.

I passed them both in one day!

I don't see why all the naysayers are so negative. 60 days is plenty if you find a school with pre-booked dates already sorted. Just don't fail and you'll be fine. Where there's a will, there's a way.. which is why I think it's epic you're getting into bikes at the young age of only 85!

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:07 - 22 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to back tests are all good and well, but you're putting all your eggs in one basket. I doubt the school can fill the afternoon slot at such short notice if you fail the morning, so you're going to lose that money if you don't pass (in addition to your mod1 retest). It's also quite a bit of pressure to get all that done in one go. Yes it's possible, but the mod1 and mod2 are so different there is a lot of sense in having a gap so you "acclimatise" to the mod2 after the ridiculously pedantic and unrealistic mod1 environment.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 22 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain_Man86 wrote:
All this speak of MOD1 and MOD 2 taking weeks to complete is odd to me. I took my MOD 1 in the morning, and did the MOD 2 in the afternoon. I passed them both in one day!

https://c.tenor.com/8pfc6_evUYYAAAAM/poop-machine-brown-liquid.gif

Laughing Laughing

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:09 - 23 Feb 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Back to back tests are all good and well, but you're putting all your eggs in one basket. I doubt the school can fill the afternoon slot at such short notice if you fail the morning, so you're going to lose that money if you don't pass (in addition to your mod1 retest). It's also quite a bit of pressure to get all that done in one go. Yes it's possible, but the mod1 and mod2 are so different there is a lot of sense in having a gap so you "acclimatise" to the mod2 after the ridiculously pedantic and unrealistic mod1 environment.

The principal point I was making, was that it's possible to do the tests in a very short space of time. Other people on here was saying that 60 days is not possible for a variety of reasons. I was conveying an alternative view, given that I achieved both passes in one day. Yes there are risks etc.. but that is not the point I was making.

Personally, I was less concerned by the loss of money and more concerned with having to wait ages. For me, time is money so I decided accordingly.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 62 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9