Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CBF125 to Africa Twin... Am I mad?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:43 - 18 Aug 2021    Post subject: CBF125 to Africa Twin... Am I mad? Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I passed my CBT back in April and have been riding a CB125F every week since. I've got a 5-day DAS course booked for next week and all being well, I'll be able to upgrade my 125 shortly thereafter.

I'm 6'2", 35yrs old and 75kg. I'm really keen on the Africa Twin as my next and first big bike.

I won't be commuting on the bike as I have a car. I want the bike for pleasant countryside rides and tours up to North Wales and the Lake District where i'll go camping and walking. In time, I also want to visit the Alps.

For me, the thrill of riding comes from the exposure and freedom rather than sheer speed.

Am I mad in considering the Africa Twin as my first big bike? I welcome thoughts on this and whether there are any suggestions on appropriate alternatives, for example, the Tiger 900 - which i'd like to test ride along with the Africa Twin.

Many thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:45 - 18 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not as mad as having a busa as a first big bike.

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:09 - 18 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Haha, it would at least get me to the Lake District quickly!! But where would I put my luggage?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:14 - 18 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a busa is a big sport tourer, in the panniers that can be purchased for it?

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:34 - 18 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
in the panniers that can be purchased for it?

Oh right. Well it's off the contender list anyway, especially as you suggest it would be more mad than the Africa Twin. Shocked

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:56 - 18 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH they are madder than lawrence fox after he got beaten by Count Binface in the london mayoral election and lost his deposit.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 19 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have a car and the bike is just for fun, then go with what you desire.
just make sure to test ride first, so that you have an idea of what you are letting yourself in for.

BigTim
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:53 - 21 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a chap that went from a 125 to a Blackbird.

just be sensible until you used to it.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:05 - 21 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from a 250 wetdream to a 750 Africa Twin, not as bigger leap, but still a big leap at the time (25 years ago)

JohanTheAndro...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 08:10 - 22 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Or a Triumph Rocket III...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 22 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't be a big deal, they aren't that quick really, just the size and weight to get used to. I see loads of them around the Lakes, adventure bikes are rather common these days.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 22 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohanTheAndroid wrote:

Or a Triumph Rocket III...

tell us more.

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:49 - 25 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Firstly, I am pleased to say that I passed both Mod 1 and Mod 2 today, and therefore I now have full bike license!! I'm so happy. Very Happy

I've been riding around on a 21' plate Honda CB650R for the past 5 days as that's what the riding school use. I've really enjoyed it. So much so that I think i'm going to change my mind about the Africa Twin and instead buy a 650R.

Having given considerable thought to what I want to use the bike for over the next 2-3 years, I think the Africa Twin will be OTT. I recon i'll have more fun using the 650R for a couple of years and then considering a touring bike.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:15 - 25 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

congratulations.
id go for the ott myself. enjoy it while you can.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:03 - 25 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done!

go for the crf thou if you're tall enough @ 6' 3" - and strong enough (for the wheeling it around your drive / garage, I mean)...it probably makes the same power as the 650, for one thing - also, being taller than average, it'll probably be comfier for you

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:46 - 26 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
well done!

go for the crf thou

Thank you for the advice. I'll look at the VRF for sure.

How would you rate the BMW F900r? Is that worth considering also? Although I do suffer from their insurance policy not allowing riders with less than one years' experience from taking their bikes on test rides Crying or Very sad

So far i've found Honda to be a much nicer brand to deal with than BMW.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:07 - 26 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain_Man86 wrote:
trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
well done!

go for the crf thou

Thank you for the advice. I'll look at the VRF for sure.

How would you rate the BMW F900r? Is that worth considering also? Although I do suffer from their insurance policy not allowing riders with less than one years' experience from taking their bikes on test rides Crying or Very sad

So far i've found Honda to be a much nicer brand to deal with than BMW.

I test rode a new f900xr at park lane on the cusp of lockdown 1. Didnt actually turn up for that bike, I had arranged to look at 2 second hand 800ST's, neither of which were there or ready. As I was there I took it out anyway. Nice, capable and pretty bike, although found it irritatingly stubborn to find neutral (it did have less than 100 miles on the clock), riding position was tall enough to suit me but in my mind it wasnt worth the price tag. That being said I wasnt interested in a new bike, on tick or another chain drive, so I may have had a less open mind, but I do remember getting back on the tdm after and thinking - that was fun, but doesnt do anything this doesnt apart from gizmos I wont use.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 26 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain_Man86 wrote:
VRF

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:05 - 28 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I test rode few bikes over the past few days. Namely then Trident 660, then the Tiger 900 Rally Pro, followed by the Africa Twin manual.

I tried to test ride the BMW F900R but they have a policy of not allowing new riders to go on their bikes. I'm not buying a bike without test riding it, so it's their loss. Not sure what others think, but my experience of BMW thus far has been rather unwelcoming. Whenever i've spoken to them, i've felt like just another number to them and they seem to make life very difficult for new riders to experience their bikes. Honda and Triumph on the other hand were great. Hats off to Destination Triumph especially as they made me feel really welcome.

I'm really smitten by the Tiger range and placed a deposit for a Tiger 850 Sport in blue this morning. I hope to take delivery later October. Cant wait!!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 28 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

the f900 is shit anyway

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 28 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done. just a shame youll be missing the last of the good weather.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:51 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain_Man86 wrote:
I tried to test ride the BMW F900R but they have a policy of not allowing new riders to go on their bikes. I'm not buying a bike without test riding it

Thumbs Up

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:21 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
just a shame youll be missing the last of the good weather.

Yeah that is quite sucky! I was wondering if I should have shopped around different dealers to see if any others had the bike in stock. Or at least if any were due to receive the bike sooner. I'd feel bad changing my mind now as i've kind of committed to Destination Triumph so I guess i'll leave it and look forward to next spring.

I'll be using the bike through the winter anyway as I want to build up my experience.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:45 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain_Man86 wrote:
So I test rode few bikes over the past few days. Namely then Trident 660, then the Tiger 900 Rally Pro, followed by the Africa Twin manual.

I tried to test ride the BMW F900R but they have a policy of not allowing new riders to go on their bikes. I'm not buying a bike without test riding it, so it's their loss. Not sure what others think, but my experience of BMW thus far has been rather unwelcoming. Whenever i've spoken to them, i've felt like just another number to them and they seem to make life very difficult for new riders to experience their bikes. Honda and Triumph on the other hand were great. Hats off to Destination Triumph especially as they made me feel really welcome.

I'm really smitten by the Tiger range and placed a deposit for a Tiger 850 Sport in blue this morning. I hope to take delivery later October. Cant wait!!

I actually found the opposite to be true, went for a test of the trident on their dealership tour and was pretty much ignored in favour of the other guy on our accompanied ride who had all the gear, no idea but clearly bought a new bike every time he came back to the dealer to have his petrol tank filled. Wasnt allowed to pass him as per their rules and he didnt do corners that well, so it was impossible to get a feel for the bike. Their loss, I got a free side stand puck out of it so not a complete waste of my time
BMW on the other hand gave me the keys, sent me off for an hour or so and made me a coffee when I came back to chat it over.

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:36 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TaffyTDM wrote:
I actually found the opposite to be true ... BMW on the other hand gave me the keys, sent me off for an hour or so and made me a coffee when I came back to chat it over.

Perhaps it's down to me being a new rider and the guys at BMW only like experienced riders. I'll go back in a few years time and compare. At least at that point their insurance will allow me to test ride the bikes.

Did you buy anything from BMW?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 232 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2