Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:33 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountain_Man86 wrote:
TaffyTDM wrote:
I actually found the opposite to be true ... BMW on the other hand gave me the keys, sent me off for an hour or so and made me a coffee when I came back to chat it over.

Perhaps it's down to me being a new rider and the guys at BMW only like experienced riders. I'll go back in a few years time and compare. At least at that point their insurance will allow me to test ride the bikes.

Did you buy anything from BMW?

Not from the dealer, but I ended up buying a second hand f800s privately, the chat I had with the dealer helped with that.
I'm not a new bike / car person but in 5 or so years I may find myself with a treat and park lane will definitely be on the visit list after my last experiance with them.
I think they also like to flog their own DAS training which is ridiculously priced but pitched at those with money to burn, I presume they factor in any new riders interested in their bikes would either have come on a paid "experiance day" or done their das on a gs or something
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MattE
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 14:47 - 04 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly just go for it, take one for a test drive if you haven't already. Its about what you're comfortable riding and what you want. I went from a YBR125 straight to a GSX600, as long as you stay riding within your own limits and get used to it before going too mad you'll be fine. Enjoy whichever bike you end up with Very Happy

EDIT - Just read you changed your mind and were looking at the 650R, lovely bike so when you get one send a picture

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:43 - 04 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattE wrote:
EDIT - Just read you changed your mind and were looking at the 650R, lovely bike so when you get one send a picture

I have taken everyones advice on here and test road a few different bikes. I've decided to get the Tiger 850 Sport. All being well, I should take delivery in October. It suits me perfectly and I look forward to learning lots more on it and going off on lots of exciting rides. Very Happy

One question I had for everyone, are heated seats worth the money here in the UK? I will want to ride through winter but not specifically for commuting. So I can avoid the worst of the cold weather. I've gone with heated grips but is a heated seat worth it Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 04 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwiw i've got neither and ride approx 5k miles between october and march - also, i only wear summer gloves because i don't like big, thick gloves - they lack feel and can seem clumsy

i generally ride for 90 mins - 2 hours a throw, and yes, my hands get cold, but not excessively. this is because i wear a lot of layers under my jacket, and my winter jacket is XXXL, so the layers aren't too tight - i also have bigger boots for winter as well, which means i can get thicker socks on w/out them being too snug

i do have some grips but never fitted them - i do worry about the extra load it places on the electrics, esp. e.g. the reg / rec and stator - but this is probably paranoia on my part

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Last edited by trevor saxe-coburg-gotha on 17:46 - 04 Sep 2021; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:10 - 04 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always fit grips as soon as I get a bike.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 04 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I always fit grips as soon as I get a bike.

pussy Razz

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:21 - 04 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm.. ok, thanks for the input. I guess it's something that is worth trying without and seeing how I get on. If needs be, I can always add a heated seat in the future. I get cold hands pretty easily due to poor circulation in the fingers so heated grips seemed like a no brainer for me.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 05 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will *never* fit a heated seat

if you're that cold you need a heated seat the road will be covered in frost / ice / snow and you won't be able to ride

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:29 - 05 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it was sickpup that said that a heated jacket is far superior to a heated seat because it heats your core.

It's not something that I ever had an issue with. Warm hands are the game changer, though.

stevo123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 13:02 - 09 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with general consensus that a heated seat is not needed but heated grips will be your best friend when it gets cold out.
Don't ride in ice and snow - that's just a huge risk of damaging you and/or your bike.

flyingcbf
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:36 - 10 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRF Africa Twin is a tall bike. I went to a dealer and couldn't believe how huge is looked. I thought my CBF600 was big!
If youare after adventure bikes, then two come to mind -
BMW 1200GS or Africa Twin

flyingcbf
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:37 - 10 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo123 wrote:
Agree with general consensus that a heated seat is not needed but heated grips will be your best friend when it gets cold out.
Don't ride in ice and snow - that's just a huge risk of damaging you and/or your bike.

Plus One for that tip! Not worth the risk.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 10 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're intending on riding through mid-winter, a heated jacket/waistcoat is probably the better option, your arse is one of the few things that isn't getting windblast. Plus it's easier to swap to using it on a different bike.

But I'm happy to admit I'm a pussy, I ride for about 3/4 of the year, and heated grips, decent gear, and wrapping up warm get me through just fine.

Mountain_Man86
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 23:58 - 12 Nov 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the continued advice on here. All much appreciated.

I've had the Tiger 850 for almost a month now and done around 600 miles on it. The coldest ride was around 4ÂșC, but with heated grips, a good base layer and a down jacket under my usual riding jacket meant I was reasonably warm enough. If I were to do anything to ensure I can ride through the coldest winter days, I think it would be to get a heated jacket. Although for now i'm going to stick with my down jacket and see how long that works for.

I'm loving the bike. Properly love it in fact and so glad i've finally started my biking adventure. Very Happy

I did test ride an Africa Twin but felt it was too big a bike for me at this time. The Tiger was a better price and felt more appropriate in terms of size and power, given its my first big bike.
Betty M. Welch This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Spam). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 87 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2