Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Recommendation's for intercom system

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

j4ffa
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:52 - 26 Aug 2021    Post subject: Recommendation's for intercom system Reply with quote

Hey, I'm on the lookout for an intercom system.

I currently use some in-ear headphones and yeah they are good but a pain to turn down when people try and talk to you because the phone is in your pocket.

It's going to be used mostly for music and sat nav I know I know music when riding is bad but I like it it helps me focus.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:33 - 26 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sena SMH10.
Its the only one I've tried so its the only one I can recommend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:55 - 26 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just got a Sena SMH5 and even at the low end it's some nice kit.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 26 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to speak to a fellow biker as well? I have Cardo Freeccom, it is ok but maybe better value options that do the same thing. Need something that can interface with many different devices seems to be my problem with the Cardo.

My mate, Craig, but that's not important, has recently got himself a fancy Hubert C4 Helmet with its own coms system. Doesn't bloody interface with the Cardo. He is my Satnav so I need to listen to him.

The range on the Cardo is good up until about 700 metres or dependant on the environment.

On reflection, I should have bought a loud speaker. Laughing

I'm also interested in what people's opinions are on coms. I'm non to impressed with the Cardo really.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 26 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

struan80 wrote:
Do you want to speak to a fellow biker as well? I have Cardo Freeccom, it is ok but maybe better value options that do the same thing. Need something that can interface with many different devices seems to be my problem with the Cardo.

My mate, Craig, but that's not important, has recently got himself a fancy Hubert C4 Helmet with its own coms system. Doesn't bloody interface with the Cardo. He is my Satnav so I need to listen to him.

The range on the Cardo is good up until about 700 metres or dependant on the environment.

On reflection, I should have bought a loud speaker. Laughing

I'm also interested in what people's opinions are on coms. I'm non to impressed with the Cardo really.

Either get a new system. Or, get a new mate. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 26 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you want it to do. I've got a Cardo Sho 1 made for Shoei helmets. It will connect with other cardo users but my mates have sena, bonus! just use it for music and answering the phone, missus doesnt come on the bike thank god so it suits me.
Sound quality is excellent, heard things in songs I've never heard before and the voice activation is good.

OGR

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:26 - 27 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Cardo Freecom4+. It can be a bit "random" to connect to other riders sometimes, bit faffy. But usually a few minutes of button pressing gets it all singing and dancing. Occasionally it drops the connection (seems to happen with a group of 4 riders, but the other three are using much older Cardo devices so I suspect that might be related). Voice control is surprisingly good (volume up/down, music off/on etc..). I have mine 3-way linked to my 'phone and satnav (so the 'phone provides music should I want it, the phone provides the sat-nav with t'interweb connectivity for traffic and the sat-nav gives me voice directions). Sounds ridiculously complicated but it seems to work.

It's supposed to connect into other brands but I don't know how effectively.

j4ffa
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:06 - 27 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
I have a Cardo Freecom4+. It can be a bit "random" to connect to other riders sometimes, bit faffy. But usually a few minutes of button pressing gets it all singing and dancing. Occasionally it drops the connection (seems to happen with a group of 4 riders, but the other three are using much older Cardo devices so I suspect that might be related). Voice control is surprisingly good (volume up/down, music off/on etc..). I have mine 3-way linked to my 'phone and satnav (so the 'phone provides music should I want it, the phone provides the sat-nav with t'interweb connectivity for traffic and the sat-nav gives me voice directions). Sounds ridiculously complicated but it seems to work.

I did look at the freedom 4+ as it comes with JBL speakers but was worried about it potentially falling off if I accidentally press the eject button while I was pressing a button.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:31 - 27 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortnine has potentially useful opinions on this matter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uevmJCDXlME

I've been debating getting an intercom for a while, but it's a bit difficult making the leap when they're so pricey.

j4ffa
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:36 - 27 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
Fortnine has potentially useful opinions on this matter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uevmJCDXlME

I've been debating getting an intercom for a while, but it's a bit difficult making the leap when they're so pricey.

Ye i was tempted to get a cheaper option intercom ie the freedcom of amazon but heard some people say the speakers aren't that good. So was like might aswell get something good first and then it should last.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:51 - 27 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something Cardo. Not dead cheap but they work well. Kit -2- Mobile give you intercom.
Some have their own radio transceiver for short distance cover about 3 km possible line of sight rules.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:16 - 27 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

j4ffa wrote:

Ye i was tempted to get a cheaper option intercom ie the freedcom of amazon but heard some people say the speakers aren't that good. So was like might aswell get something good first and then it should last.

I’ve got a freedcon which replaced an even cheaper one which was crap, I’ve only used it a couple of times, seems pretty good I need to set it up to see if the ringer can be louder, I was quite surprised the other day when my son’s voice suddenly replaced my music. But I could hear him clearly at 50ish mph and he could hear me.

I ride alone so haven’t used it for connecting to other riders but for emergency phone use and music it seems fine.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 27 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

j4ffa wrote:

I did look at the freedom 4+ as it comes with JBL speakers but was worried about it potentially falling off if I accidentally press the eject button while I was pressing a button.

I've never encountered that issue or even thought about it. The release lug is some way away from the buttons (which you can feel quite easily through summer gloves). JBL speakers are slightly bulkier I think than the "normal" speakers, so if you wear glasses (like I do) it can make it a tighter fit but not impossible, especially if you're happy to adapt the lining slightly to fit.

j4ffa
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:42 - 27 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
j4ffa wrote:

I've never encountered that issue or even thought about it. The release lug is some way away from the buttons (which you can feel quite easily through summer gloves). JBL speakers are slightly bulkier I think than the "normal" speakers, so if you wear glasses (like I do) it can make it a tighter fit but not impossible, especially if you're happy to adapt the lining slightly to fit.

Ahh cool I'm only going by what I watched on youtube so they might of changed something or it might not be as bad as they said.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:50 - 27 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

i go on my bike to get away from other people. the last thing id want is an intercom.

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:10 - 28 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

I wish I could suss that out, will endeavor. The cardo is.nt cheap. Thanks for posting that.

j4ffa
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:12 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:

Ended up going for the freecom 4+ got a good deal so was silly to pass it up. Now the wait for it to turn up and fit it in the helmet cheers.

j4ffa
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:15 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
i go on my bike to get away from other people. the last thing id want is an intercom.

It's mostly for music as I like to listen to music when I'm riding but finding after abit the in-ear headphones are starting to hurt. So thought intercom system as then its in the helmet plus it will be way easier to turn down that trying to fiddle with the phone while its in my pocket.
Plus means if others have an intercom when i go riding can link upto them.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

For those who don't want to miss an expected call or want to communicate with other riders while on the move, its a handy bit of kit.
You don't have to switch it on if you want to be in loner mode, mine isn't on all the time.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:06 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ignore me, im just a miserable sod with no mates Laughing

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

I've only used mine for calls, music and I've tried it out with my old Garmin Zumo which I have to say, works very well.

j4ffa
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:

Same thats why i need music when I'm out riding. hahaha

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:46 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit late but for future ref on a value for money basis I recommend the Fodsports MS-1 Pro/Plus, for use by myself, pillion or groups as my buddies have it too.

For £75, connects up to 8 riders, excellent battery life, sound quality more than reasonable, on a naked can talk clearly up to 60mph, more if you have a screen (I always wear earplugs). Does sometimes not connect to already paired riders straight away when turning on or drops out for a bit, but it's easy to pair and if you lose connection it reconnects when in range automatically.

One disappointing thing, not sure if the others are alike, you can either be on the intercom channel or the phone/gps channel, so you cannot talk and listen to the gps at the same time, it is a button press away though. No voice commands but you can press two buttons to activate your assistant, but google doesn't really understand me properly and tries to play Taylor Swift instead of Sleep...

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:19 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I think an intercom (used appropriately) when riding with other (sensible!) riders is very handy; you can get advance warning of issues, make decisions about stopping for a brew or discuss the route easily without having to find somewhere big enough for everyone to pull over then shouting at each other to be heard through engine noise / helmet / earplugs. If you're prepared to trust your fellow rider(s), you can also conduct "blind overtakes" where a lead rider is ahead of the slower vehicle and can tell you there are no oncoming vehicles, no entrances or other possible hazards. Takes a bit of faith mind you and makes the driver of the vehicle you overtake think you're a right nutter. Laughing

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:57 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
FWIW, I think an intercom (used appropriately) when riding with other (sensible!) riders is very handy; you can get advance warning of issues, make decisions about stopping for a brew or discuss the route easily without having to find somewhere big enough for everyone to pull over then shouting at each other to be heard through engine noise / helmet / earplugs. If you're prepared to trust your fellow rider(s), you can also conduct "blind overtakes" where a lead rider is ahead of the slower vehicle and can tell you there are no oncoming vehicles, no entrances or other possible hazards. Takes a bit of faith mind you and makes the driver of the vehicle you overtake think you're a right nutter. Laughing

I got them in advance for a 5 day trip to Wales and the only rider that didn't have one will now get one too. It was far too helpful for all the reasons you mentioned. It doesn't mean you're constantly chatting.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 239 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2