Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ULEZ Emission Testing & Bikes that will probably pass

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

HondaCityExpr...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:02 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: ULEZ Emission Testing & Bikes that will probably pass Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm living in London and looking to get a bigger bike from my 1985 Honda City express which will now be unusable due to the London ULEZ charges.

However modern E4 bikes just aren't doing it for me, so I've found a place that can test your bike and if the emissions are low, you get a free ULEZ pass.

So, does anyone have any recommendations or experience on bikes that might pass or pass with minimal work?

I love Honda CB100, Yamaha RXS1000 etc from the 70s to 90s eras.

Any opinions and guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:52 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "place" you know of is, AFAIK, the only one allow to test for ULEZ exemptions. They managed to get an RD350 through, so if you throw enough money at it for tuning, Pretty much anything can pass. Whether you want to ride it in the state it passed an emissions test is your call.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:04 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of points

HondaCityExpress wrote:
I've found a place that can test your bike and if the emissions are low, you get a free ULEZ pass.

It's not free. But yes, they provide that service and can also provide servicing to go towards meeting the prescribed emissions limits.

HondaCityExpress wrote:
I love Honda CB100, Yamaha RXS1000 etc from the 70s to 90s eras

I strongly recommend against a 70s or 80s bike if you plan on actually using the bike.

All bikes are maintenance-intensive, even new ones. But classic/vintage bikes from the 70s and 80s are projects. They may look great. They may start and seem to work fine. But they need constant attention, and lots of it. Everything needs attention, and everything needs sorting. Parts can be a problem if you can't put the bike aside for several weeks, sometimes, while they're on their way to you. Or the parts might simply not be available, and you have to think of other solutions. Bikes that old are really good for tinkerers.

Another thing: central London is a densely populated place, and it has its own culture and mores. I remember reading a remark somewhere where someone pointed out that a famous Youtuber, or a Harley rider, could get away with a lot of bike noise and even the smell of unburnt hydrocarbons, as long as they didn't do it too much. But the average "old" bike doesn't have the recognition among Joe Public. They just see it as a noisy and smelly old polluter that doesn't belong on the streets. This is not the impression you want to repeatedly recreate in central London. It's one thing going to a classic bike show, and another to regularly commute on an 80s bike. People tolerate and even enjoy the former, but resentment builds up fast, in the latter. Parking: your employer might not like the impression your bike creates as you bring it to the office every day. Things like that.

Another thing: bikes that old are often worth a lot in parts, and they're easier to steal than modern bikes.

HondaCityExpr...
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:57 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bhud, thanks for your reply, I certainly have been focusing on the look and feel of the bike and overlooking the practicalities, so thanks for bringing them to my attention, definitely something I need to put more thought into.

I actually know very little about bikes, however I am partial to a tinker. My 1985 Honda express has been reliable (perhaps giving me a false sense of security) and I only use it to go to the shops, visit friends etc, so I won't be totally relying on it for commuting. I have my electric push bike as a backup if it ever goes wrong. I'm also a freelancer and work from home 90% of the time and never use the bike to get to work.

I have been looking at modern bikes too. Are there any you'd recommend, I'm looking at a sub £2000 budget for a used one. I've got the Lexmoto valiant, mutrs, mash, harold all on the watch lists.

I just struggle to part with that much cash for something so so, when I could spend the same or even less on something I absolutely love, even if in the long run it will definitely cause me extra headaches and cost more as the years roll on

The other thing is safety, how much safer will I be on a modern bike?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 29 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any modern bike is bound to be good, as long as it works. Laughing
Sorry, don't know what to recommend.

However, I will say this. Quality is our main problem today. Regardless of the age of the bike, QC is the number one concern. Old bikes need parts, and the new ones coming from China are mostly just complete junk. I've had a 12V horn (bought from a reputable shop) that was dead right out of the packet. Plus a manual fuel tap (not exactly a complicated device) that seeped petrol through in the "off" position. Inside, there was a nasty little bit of plastic with 2 holes drilled in it. No rubber seals. No gaskets. Just nothing. Useless right out of the packet, but on the outside it looked great.

With a new bike, that's a whole collection of Chinese parts that have to be right, and so does the assembly. So you'll need to check on forums for reviews and reports on whether the bike is any good. I think the days of buying something that works well after 40 years are long gone. But it's reasonable to expect it to work for a few years.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:55 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get your vehicle marked as "historic" on the V5 and it's ULEZ exempt:

TFL wrote:
Historic vehicles
You can apply to stop paying vehicle tax if your vehicle was built more than 40 years ago. This date moves forward on a 40-year rolling system. For example, when the ULEZ launched in April 2019, vehicles built before 1979 were eligible to apply for historic vehicle tax class.

All vehicles that have a historic vehicle tax class will be exempt from the ULEZ. This tax class excludes any vehicle used commercially (for example, coffee vans or street food vans).

In line with the existing LEZ discount all vehicles constructed before 1 January 1973 will be exempt from the ULEZ, regardless of commercial use or otherwise.

If your vehicle meets the above criteria but is registered outside the UK, you are also exempt, but will need to register with us before travelling in the zone.

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 232 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1