BCF: Bike Chat Forums

NE250 trip

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sako
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:51 - 15 Aug 2021    Post subject: NE250 trip Reply with quote

Recently returned from doing the North East 250 Tour (NE250) in Scotland.

Bikes were -
Me - 2017 Triumph Street Triple 765R
Friend 1 - 2020 Triumph Street Triple R
Friend 2 - 2020 Triumph Trident 660
Friend 3 - Harley Davidson 48

The route starts in Aberdeen and follows the North Coastal roads all the way to Spey Bay, passing through some absolutely stunning little seaside villages, before heading inland through the whisky route that is Speyside, before heading up over the Lecht mountain road along Royal Deeside and returning to Aberdeen.

The route can be found here at https://www.northeast250.com/

My 3 friends and I completed this trip over 2 days, with a one night stop in Grantown on Spey which is kinda halfway through the route.

First day we all met at the beach front in Aberdeen city at around 0900 in the morning at a little café called 'The Pier', the weather was fantastic from the start and we were lucky that it continued for the rest of the trip.

After a coffee and bacon roll it was time to start the trip. First village to pass through would be Newburgh (where there is a fantastic nature/seal reserve).

We passed through Newburgh and headed on up to Cruden Bay, which is where Slains Castle can be found, which was partly the inspiration for Bram Stokers 'Dracula'. If you visit the local pub/inn you can actually see the guestbook where Bram Stoker has signed it after a stay.

After Cruden Bay we headed further up the coast to a stunning little coastal village called Penan, which is where the movie 'Local Hero' was filmed - the descent down to Penan isn't for the faint hearted as its essentially a small winding single track road down a sheer cliff!
The descent is worth it though, as down here at the very end of the pier is a small wooden shack run by a local lady who serves hot drinks and home bakes!

We left Penan and headed further along the coast through Banff, Macduff and Cullen (the home of Cullen Skink soup), and continued along to Fochabers before turning off South to enter Speyside.

The roads through Speyside are like nothing you have ever seen, and the smells of the distilleries hangs thick in the air throughout the whole journey, fast winding roads and beautiful scenery took us to a short stoff near Dufftown to visit the Glenfiddich distillery for a tour, which was fantastic and bagged us some 'drivers tasting packs' to take home with us (although these got smashed at the hotel once we arrived!)

We eventually arrive at our hotel in Grantown on Spey and settle down to a few pints before finding a local curry house to grab some food before a quick shower and bed.

The next morning we wake up early and grab a full Scottish breakfast before taking a jaunt to Aviemore, the scenery on the way with snow topped mountains and pine trees reminiscent of the Alps, absolutely breathtaking. we stop at the viewpoint and can literally see for miles.

moving on after Aviemore we begin our route back toward Aberdeen, taking in the most amazing fast road across the Lecht, which is a beautifully open, sweeping road that ascends high into the mountains, past the ski resort and descends (at an incredible rate!) toward the Royal Deeside section of our trip.

Royal Desside roads sees an abundance of pine trees and forest, with a huge amount of deer spotted along the route, this section is at a slightly slower pace as the roads tighten and snake round blind bends and blind summits before heading into Alford to see the Grampian transport museum.

Eventually we all continue to Aberdeen and once arrived at sometime after teatime, we all part ways with the promise that next year will see us try the NC500 and hopefully the same weather.

I realise this wasn't fantastically written, but its not really my strong point to be honest.

Last edited by Sako on 12:28 - 16 Aug 2021; edited 3 times in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:47 - 15 Aug 2021    Post subject: Re: NE250 trip Reply with quote

Sako wrote:

I realise this wasn't fantastically written, but its not really my strong point to be honest.

That can be forgiven. What can't is the lack pictures!
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sako
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 16 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm seems I can only upload one photo unfortunately

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:48 - 16 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope ! Evil or Very Mad , go to the back of the class Evil or Very Mad !
Pictures or you get more homework!!

woo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:08 - 16 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://imgur.com/ is ur friend

go register then you can link pictures in your forum post
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 224 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1