Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

thinking of buying a scooter convince me I'm wrong

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

colinM
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:28 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: thinking of buying a scooter convince me I'm wrong Reply with quote

Hi all.

as the title suggests I'm thinking about buying a Scooter, one of those bigger 400cc ones.
My thinking is purely for transport I'll be getting made redundant soon and I have a couple of job opportunities so I'll, unfortunately, have to travel for work now, nothing really far 20-25miles or so.

if I use a scooter I can filter in peak traffic, parking should be easier and there is plenty of storage on the bike for helmet, waterproofs and anything I might have to carry for work (better in the scooter than on my back)

I've never actually driven a scooter though just proper bikes. is my thinking logical or am I missing a very obvious flaw?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:03 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a daily commute, they make a lot of sense. You can get one of those poncho things that cover the footwell and your legs for in the winter too.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:21 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before the screeching starts I'd say scooters - and to a certain extent your Goldwings - are just 2-wheeled cars: utilitarian transport. There's nothing a scooter really does better than a motorcycle...

Filtering? In the City I see the scooters filter everything. Throw a bag of coffee beans on the road they'd be filtering that! But that's because a) they're mostly weedy 125s and b) they're ridden by maniacs who just do CBTs on a continuous basis.

Storage? You can get a top box and/or panniers for almost any motorbike. Okay so a lot of scooters have a handbag storage area under the seat but there's the faux fuel tank on the NC750 so that's not a USP.

But if you're not interested in street cred or the social aspect of motorcycles a scooter would be perfectly fine Smile

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to filter easily in heavy traffic, try a smaller bike.

Twist-and-go, and remember to keep your legs closed... Laughing Sitting there like a dead weight. Where's the fun in that?

colinM
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:42 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:

But if you're not interested in street cred or the social aspect of motorcycles a scooter would be perfectly fine Smile

Laughing that's actually another aspect I was thinking of, its a big ugly scooter and it's not a 125 so I shouldn't need to worry too much about theft.

I have a couple of proper bikes but I wouldn't want to waste them on an all-weather commute.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shockingly 1 in 14 registered two wheelers got nicked in London in 2020. If you live there then dem teefs do love a big scooter, weapon of choice (aside from brick acid) is the Yamaha T-max. They use them for snatch and go, general feevery and other general nay-goodness.

Have you ridden one? For a ten minute blast they're actually quite fun. But I miss the power so I'd be looking at the bigger engine stuff.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all you want is strorage compartements, then I would consider lockable panniers on a regular motorcycle. I find scooters cumbersome. Googling around, those 400cc scooters are quite heavy as well, with rather poor fuel economy. ''Twist 'n' go'' is a benefit of sorts, though. Especially for city traffic. Thinking

By the way, there are motorcycles with bigger storage compartments, for instance Honda's NC 700 and NC 750. Thumbs Up

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it. Bergmanns and the like are perfect for what you want. Do you need 90L of luggage capacity to ride to work, no.
Easy to ride and filter on, economical, good weather protection, I would.

OGR

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What’s the old saying? Scooters are for men who like to feel the wind in their vagina. Laughing

Seriously though, the big ones ain’t too bad and can give slightly more weather protection. I’d rather go for a proper bike with panniers though.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:57 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m not understanding the ‘storage’ thing. If you are riding to work, then surely ‘at work’ is the place to store your helmet, gear etc.?

For me it’s what the 25 miles are like that would determine if you are going ‘full scoot’ or not. If it’s 25 miles of London 12mph solid traffic then…..maaaybeee…anything less, probably not.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:23 - 30 Aug 2021    Post subject: Re: thinking of buying a scooter convince me I'm wrong Reply with quote

colinM wrote:
Hi all.

as the title suggests I'm thinking about buying a Scooter, one of those bigger 400cc ones.
My thinking is purely for transport I'll be getting made redundant soon and I have a couple of job opportunities so I'll, unfortunately, have to travel for work now, nothing really far 20-25miles or so.

if I use a scooter I can filter in peak traffic, parking should be easier and there is plenty of storage on the bike for helmet, waterproofs and anything I might have to carry for work (better in the scooter than on my back)

I've never actually driven a scooter though just proper bikes. is my thinking logical or am I missing a very obvious flaw?

They do ride differently to a 'normal' upright bike, they tend to be closer to cruiser style stuff, because of the feet forward sitting position - takes about 10 minutes to get used to.

I'll do my stuck record impression and relate my similar tale.

I was in a not dissimilar situation to you, 25 mile commute on mixed roads (NSL and heavy traffic) and fed up with it taking literally hours in a car.

I wanted good weather protection, good storage and low maintenance, so I was all set for some flavour of Deauville, until somebody suggested a maxi scooter.

I was extremely sceptical, but I did my research and when the time came to pony up the cash, a Honda 600 Silverwing made itself available first, so I went for it, on the basis that it was cheap enough that if I really didn't get on with it, I could sell it again and not lose anything.

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant, in fact very hard to fault.

You will hear stories of unstable handling, poor performance and a terminal aversion to potholes, amongst other nasty things - mostly these are written by people who have no experience of riding a scooter, beyond some clapped out shitebox on a Greek island.

There is also a very vocal section of biking society that will dismiss them out of hand, with absolutely no knowledge at all, the same sort of blinkered, narrow minded bigots who dismiss cruisers (in general, Harleys in particular) Gold Wings and pretty much anything that doesn't rev to a billion rpm and give you a bad back the instant you get on it - apparently, only the latter can be considered 'real' bikes.

I say, get one if you fancy it, you might just be very pleasantly surprised; the uninformed and uneducated can go and fark themselves.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:13 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stereotypes are dangerous.

I started out on scooters and small bikes. The first "bike" I ever owned was a 2-stroke 50cc scooter. I commuted on it, in London. At the time, the job seemed great - probably because I had to jump through so many hoops to get it - and the commute was just... the commute. There's no doubt, the scooty was comfy. I even rode it in the winter, in the snow. Did I like it? Yes. I bought no less than THREE C90s following that scooter, because they felt so nice. What they were not, was aesthetic. However, I have most definitely served my time (or my sentence) on scooters (the modern style) and step-throughs.

Many years later, I was still commuting by bike. At first, a small bike. Then I passed my test, and it was a big bike. By this time, I had changed my career., rather drastically The job was one I thought I was cut out for, but I started to hate it, quickly. The one highlight was actually the commute. It was through a picturesque route. B-roads and a fast, nice, wide A-road you could filter through in the rush hour traffic. To this day, I remember some of those commutes. I took detours, and enjoyed even the bad weather. Sometimes there were trees fallen across the road, and sometimes little floods. At that time, I resolved to make up for my weaknesses and deficiencies, and learn as much as I could about motorcycles, so that I could extend my time on motorcycles for as long as I lived, without reliance on others, and with as much freedom to choose what I rode as was possible.

It's been decades since I commuted to work on that scooter. Could I have enjoyed such experiences, and rides, as a commuter on a scooter? I don't think so, truly. Even if it were one of those 400cc Burgman type deals. Go home with as least effort and delay as possible, to eat your spaghetti and repeat the next day? What's the point. Sitting comfortably, and convenience in finding a place to bung your helmet is only worth so much. But, ultimately, it boils down to how I feel. If someone says they feel great riding their scooter, then who am I to second-guess them? However, it's subjective to the point of mysticism. If I see a small-wheeled chunk of plastic coming the other way, I cannot superimpose a positive experience on that. It would upset the view, it would upset my perspective on my personal life story as a human being, because it's so far in the opposite direction of where I'm headed (intrinsic preference for a linear life trajectory rather than a cyclical one). I like classic bikes and I don't like scooters or Harleys, but I don't think I'm ignorant in the slightest.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:30 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Stereotypes are dangerous.

Yes they are, which I why I get so pissed off when I see the usual shit about scooters being rubbish and not 'real' bikes.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:28 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scooters are for limp wristed faggoty assed bed wettin pansies !!
get a proper bike like a real man

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:02 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

You should ride my 90mph 35bhp 10" wheeled 1972 Lambretta then.

Auto scooters are absolutely the best tool for city riding and commuting.

Piaggio are top quality but are getting to be some price.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:21 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

I was waiting for you to step in and defend the ladybike.
You're a scooter-noob. Nobody is listening to you. Wink

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Re: thinking of buying a scooter convince me I'm wrong Reply with quote

colinM wrote:
Hi all.

When I was at the ASDA in Blantyre on Sunday I met a guy who was on the big Suzuki Burgman Executive scoot and in all honesty until I saw that thing I only ever knew scoots as the little 125cc shit machines. Totally changed my opinion on scoots now, I can see them being fantastic touring machines.

Better get my skirts and frilly knickers ordered.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point on the scooter vs cruiser similarity in seating. You can go further: the Rebel 1100 for example has a auto gearbox option.

So the choice is between frilly skirts or arse-less chaps Wink

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Good point on the scooter vs cruiser similarity in seating. You can go further: the Rebel 1100 for example has a auto gearbox option.

So the choice is between frilly skirts or arse-less chaps Wink

Or you could get a VFR1200 with the DCT gearbox Wink

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Re: thinking of buying a scooter convince me I'm wrong Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

When I was at the ASDA in Blantyre on Sunday I met a guy who was on the big Suzuki Burgman Executive scoot and in all honesty until I saw that thing I only ever knew scoots as the little 125cc shit machines. Totally changed my opinion on scoots now, I can see them being fantastic touring machines.

Better get my skirts and frilly knickers ordered.

I thought those tartan skirts were standard issue north o' border ?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:39 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my recent experience s anything to go by, there probably is merit in the suggestion scooters (assuming similar dimensions) are capable of squeezing through narrower gaps than big bikes. I find I can get my through anything I'd get my push-bike through, plus do far tighter manoeuvring than my VFR would be keen on. That said, I don't think I'd want to do an emergency stop on the in a busy environment . . .

Last edited by ThunderGuts on 08:53 - 26 Apr 2023; edited 1 time in total

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

With scoots you can wear decent clothes and not smell of stale urine, beer and roll ups like them bikers do.
Mine has nice locking pockets on the front I use for sweeties, skin products and such.
I often give myself a quick squish of Paco Rabane to freshen up while waiting at the lights.
I might even pop a fishermans friend in my mouth.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:54 - 31 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

I might even pop a fishermans friend in my mouth.

What you do in the bedroom is entirely your affair but I really wouldn't recommend it whilst waiting for the lights. For starters you won't notice when the lights turn green.

Brava210
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:34 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Honda Forza can store a whole weeks worth of Lady product shopping
And a nice tube of Vaseline skin care cream in the front pocket.
Honda Novio, Puch Grand Prix, Suzuki AP50, CZ 125, Wassell 125, Montesa 348,Honda 125TDC, Suzuki 100ER, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Aprillia Pegaso, Honda PCX125, Honda Forza300, BMW G310 GS, Suzuki SFV650, Honda CB500X

CHARLEY SAYS " ALWAYS TELL YOUR MUMMY BEFORE YOU GO OFF SOMEWHERE"

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:38 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brava210 wrote:
a nice tube of Vaseline skin care cream in the front pocket.

It's always a good move to have Vaseline in your front pouch. Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 227 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2