thinking of buying a scooter convince me I'm wrong

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:00 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
If my recent experience of my C90 is anything to go by, there probably is merit in the suggestion scooters (assuming similar dimensions to my Cub) are capable of squeezing through narrower gaps than big bikes. I find I can get my C90 through anything I'd get my push-bike through, plus do far tighter manoeuvring than my VFR would be keen on. That said, I don't think I'd want to do an emergency stop on the C90 in a busy environment . . .

This is definitely true, I used to keep my scoot in my back garden when it wasn’t being used over lockdown, it was a bit tight but I could fold the mirrors in and push it down the alley like a kick scooter, then when I got to the patio I picked the back wheel up and pivoted it into position.

I can’t even get my mountain bike down the same alley, my bars are too wide, not going to try and get the big bike down.

I’d like to have a scooter available, but they’re best in town I really don’t feel safe without a tank between my knees. But this is based on a feet forward small wheel model, eventually I’ll have a go on a bigger one to see what the difference is. But I’d rather have a DCT NC750 than the new Forza, position is better and they look cooler.

You don’t get wet feet on a scoot though

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:35 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first two wheeler was the tiny 8bhp Yamaha Vity, for inner city commuting it was great, running costs basically zero, filter through everything and a surprisingly large under seat box and rack on the back. TBH I can't see the point of the big scooters, if your doing distance get a bike, inner city go 125cc, your average speed will still easily be double that of a car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:44 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 650 Burgman executive, do 50 miles a day Monday to Friday. It just works, good weather protection, reasonably quick, heated grips and seat. Not the most exciting bike but it’s a tool for going to work on. Loads of storage and 100 odd mph. Would I have another for commuting? Yes. Would I have one for pleasure? No.

If you’re close to Northampton, come and have a go

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stalk wrote:
I have a 650 Burgman executive, do 50 miles a day Monday to Friday. It just works, good weather protection, reasonably quick, heated grips and seat. Not the most exciting bike but it’s a tool for going to work on. Loads of storage and 100 odd mph. Would I have another for commuting? Yes. Would I have one for pleasure? No.

If you’re close to Northampton, come and have a go

What do you reckon it would be like for touring?

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:32 - 04 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a to b transport it’s great, but boring. If you wanted to get from one place to another to see touristy places it would be fine, but if you want to enjoy the ride between the places, pick something else.
That’s just my opinion, others have successfully toured on them with plenty of space for luggage, and in comfort, but it’s all personal preference as to what you want from your bike.

Brava210
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:54 - 04 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_Pagin wrote:
My first two wheeler was the tiny 8bhp Yamaha Vity, for inner city commuting it was great, running costs basically zero, filter through everything and a surprisingly large under seat box and rack on the back. TBH I can't see the point of the big scooters, if your doing distance get a bike, inner city go 125cc, your average speed will still easily be double that of a car.

Well that's what I thought. I had a Forza 125 originally, it was ok but too slow on the short stretches of A Roads I was commuting on. Luckily Fowlers of Bristol took it back in exchange for the Forza 300. It's super quick, super comfy, economical and just very good at most things.
Storage is huge too.
Honda Novio, Puch Grand Prix, Suzuki AP50, CZ 125, Wassell 125, Montesa 348,Honda 125TDC, Suzuki 100ER, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Aprillia Pegaso, Honda PCX125, Honda Forza300, BMW G310 GS, Suzuki SFV650, Honda CB500X

CHARLEY SAYS " ALWAYS TELL YOUR MUMMY BEFORE YOU GO OFF SOMEWHERE"

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:55 - 05 Sep 2021    Post subject: Re: thinking of buying a scooter convince me I'm wrong Reply with quote

I got a 400 Burgman when I was faced with doing a 25 miles each way commute for a couple of years; a mixture of NSL A-roads and city traffic. If you can be arsed changing gear while riding in town and filtering, stopping and starting every other minute, then best of luck to you. I certainly can't.

Obviously a 125 would be sufficient for that scenario, but I didn't want to be wringing the neck of such a device once I got to the faster bits. The Burgman was no wider and just as handy as any 125 in the traffic, with a ton more acceleration, and it could also sit at 80mph on the A-roads. Mine had a Givi screen that once I had cut 2cm off so I could see over it meant I could ride in the pissing rain and arrive home bone dry. My laptop and the other associated guff I needed for work was stashed under the seat, rather than sliding up and down my back every time I braked in some rucksack.

I even went on holiday on it... it swallowed up all my camping gear and was armchair comfortable to the point where you could easily do 250 miles a day, even with a dodgy back like mine. Obviously, no hot chicks threw their knickers at me as I rode by, but you can't have everything.

OP - if you are seriously considering a scooter I would suggest the 400 Burgman. The 650 is very capable, but a bit lardy for town work, and the transmission isn't a simple rubber band CVT and is known to go expensively wrong. Shaft's suggestion of the 600 Silverwing is good; a mate of mine has had a couple of those and they are decent machines that had a long production run, so spares aren't hard to find. They were also reliable and well made too; he threw one of them up the road on the ice one time, and after some GRP repairs to the bodywork it was back in use again. The Piaggio Xevo 400 is worth a look if one turns up - they don't hold their value so well, so a bargain is possible. They can have electrical issues - but nothing like older Italian stuff - and the FI makes them very frugal. I rode one back from London for a mate one time - about 200 miles - and pottering (it wasn't mine, OK?) I got 90+mpg.

Even more heretical - the 400cc version of the Piaggio MP3 is a really good bet if you are planning on commuting in all weathers. I had one as a courtesy bike for a couple of months a few years back and marvelled at how it could be chucked through roundabouts etc. in appalling weather with absolutely no fear of ending up on my arse. The front wheels are closer together than the ends of the bars, so if it looks like you can get through that gap, then you will. As above, no-one waved. No-one nodded. Oh well.

ATEOTD buy what suits your purpose, not what you imagine that Real Bikers will approve of.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 00:00 - 06 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:
You should ride my 90mph 35bhp 10" wheeled 1972 Lambretta then.

If his commute is more than half a mile and there isn't a fully loaded support van following then that plan is doomed to failure surely? Wink

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:26 - 06 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prawny wrote:

I can’t even get my mountain bike down the same alley, my bars are too wide, not going to try and get the big bike down.

hump it vertical on to the back wheel then you can turn bars in any direction.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Brava210
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:29 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deleted
Honda Novio, Puch Grand Prix, Suzuki AP50, CZ 125, Wassell 125, Montesa 348,Honda 125TDC, Suzuki 100ER, Suzuki GSF650 Bandit, Aprillia Pegaso, Honda PCX125, Honda Forza300, BMW G310 GS, Suzuki SFV650, Honda CB500X

CHARLEY SAYS " ALWAYS TELL YOUR MUMMY BEFORE YOU GO OFF SOMEWHERE"

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:51 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Prawny wrote:

hump it vertical on to the back wheel then you can turn bars in any direction.

That’s what I do with my mtb, not going to try it with the ER6 though Laughing

colinM
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:40 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies, been pretty busy lately.
Enjoyed reading all the posts, thanks for all the advice and I was surprised at the amount of positive replies.

I did end up buying a Yamaha majesty 400, it's an older scooter but it had low miles and was in good condition. I've ridden it for a bit now and while it is boring to ride it is very practical had plenty of storage.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Adame
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:31 - 11 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

the truth is that most bikers are in denial

"I will never ride a scooter", until you did ride one... is like with a car and automatic transmission - just so easy!

It's the scooter that's a real commuter.
If you just ride twice a day to work for 20min, sure a motorcycle is fine for a ride, but If ride everywhere and all the time in cities your hand will go numb from the clutch and get angry with frustration. while scooter is so chill and easy and just goes. Honestly a GS is not a machine to just sit and go, run errands in London, a PCX is.

Perfect setup is a scooter to do chores and second "real" bike for fun and when you want to have a ride (like my setup)

If you mostely do under 40mph just get a 125 scooter, Honda SH, tall screen, muffs, leg cover, box, 130mpg, deliveroo style, you can ride it anywehere, dressed for the occasion not the ride, if you do A road, a 300 is enough.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 196 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2