Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Faulty Ohlins?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:56 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Faulty Ohlins? Reply with quote

Coming back from Bristol earlier I started to notice the ride was really bumpy, I put it down to poor road surface but it seemed to get worse over time until it started becoming a real bone shaker! Rear suspension seems to have dropped as the headlight is way too high and people keep flashing me up. Quite painful on the back and bum which is not like this bike at all especially with the comfort seat it's always been a pleasure to ride even all day without any pains.

Is this potentially a problem with the suspension or have I maybe done something stupid in the settings by accident? Anyone else experienced this? The bike is less than 5 months old with only 2,300 miles on the clock so not expecting to have anything go wrong with it at this stage, would be really disappointing if it has to go back for warranty work :-/

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
have I maybe done something stupid in the settings by accident

Well, have you? If not, and you're still under warranty, I'd contact the dealership. Does sound like a proper issue with the rear suspension.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:46 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you've messed with the settings.... put them back to standard. It will be in the owners manual.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ashamed to say I pretty much left all the settings as standard from when it was new and never bothered to get the user manual out and fiddle with the settings to see what they all do (other than to change from modes A, B, C & D... I'd played with changing the different modes as that's pretty straight forward but each mode is able to be modified and customized in excruciating details so I lust left it on Mode B).

However I got the user manual out last night and familiarized myself with all the menu options. Now I know how the menu works I'm pretty sure I can't have put the suspension to its hardest setting by mistake. I've reset everything to factory settings and put it in mode D (least aggressive throttle, most traction control, softest suspension setting) and it's still a bone shaker.

Something changed half way back from Bristol. Don't forget the rear is sitting very low now and my headlight is dazzling everyone, I was getting flashed up constantly. I'm convinced it's broken. But no error messages or lights on the dashboard Thinking

I called the dealer today but they're closed (someone on divert to a mobile answered and told me to ring tomorrow). I'll probably just email them now...

Also does anyone know if the switchgear buttons are supposed to be illuminated? I thought I remembered reading/hearing in one of the MCN reviews that they were but mine are now. Wondering if a wire came loose when they installed the heated grips at the dealer before I picked the bike up Thinking

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:08 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this supposed to be a joke thread?

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.

I'm the joke, not the thread.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:18 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
No.

I'm the joke, not the thread.

Then why haven't you looked at the rear shock to see if it's collapsed?

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:20 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have. Can't see much. No evidence of oil leaking. Not even sure if they're air shocks? Got to be honest I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference between a good shock and a collapsed one unless I had them on the bench side by side.

I'm fairly practical but by no means a mechanic Sad

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:22 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
I have. Can't see much. No evidence of oil leaking. Not even sure if they're air shocks? Got to be honest I'm not sure I'd be able to tell the difference between a good shock and a collapsed one unless I had them on the bench side by side.

I'm fairly practical but by no means a mechanic Sad

So you can't tell if it has a broken spring?

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:25 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spring is in tact yes, that's fine. But if the shock absorber has leaked oil or air and not doing its job I'm not sure I'd be able to tell :-/

Also as it's semi active suspension may be there's no mechanical fault but the control unit isn't levelling it correctly and has slammed it to the floor? I really don't know I'm clutching at straws here but that happened to an A8 I had once with self levelling suspension.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
The spring is in tact yes, that's fine. But if the shock absorber has leaked oil or air and not doing its job I'm not sure I'd be able to tell :-/

You very obviously can't.

TravisBickle wrote:
Also as it's semi active suspension may be there's no mechanical fault but the control unit isn't levelling it correctly and has slammed it to the floor? I really don't know I'm clutching at straws here but that happened to an A8 I had once with self levelling suspension.

Yeah take it to a shop as you are completely unable to give us basic details needed for a diagnosis.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:31 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaking oil or gas out of the damper wouldn't normally affect ride height, that's set by the spring. You'd just get a ride like a pogo-stick. Unless there is a remote ride-height adjustment that's crapped out?

So unless there is a crapped out remote ride height adjuster, something is physically broken. Either the spring, the shock mountings or part of the unitrak assembly.

I wouldn't ride it until you've found out what's wrong.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Yeah take it to a shop as you are completely unable to give us basic details needed for a diagnosis.

If it turns out to be nothing daft I've done to it in the settings I'm going to anyway, even if I had the expertise to fix it, as it's still under warranty.

So what basic details have you asked for that I've been unable to give you? You asked if the spring is broken and I said no.

The TL;DR of my original thread is:

"there's something wrong with my suspension, bearing in mind the electronically adjustable nature of it, could it be something daft I've done in the settings or is it likely broken in some way?"

And your answer to this is:

"can you see if it's broken? If so, then yes, it's broken".

Thinking

I've checked it all over and there's nothing obvious to my eye but maybe someone who knows what I should be looking for can see something I've missed?

https://i.ibb.co/ygXvqjW/20210901-191709.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/F7ZmFgj/20210901-191714.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/Fm0VdwM/20210901-191722.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/BfWmWHs/20210901-191727.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/DzJRjmr/20210901-191731.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/Zxh6nP7/20210901-191748.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/X2X2WXf/20210901-191750.jpg

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Leaking oil or gas out of the damper wouldn't normally affect ride height, that's set by the spring. You'd just get a ride like a pogo-stick. Unless there is a remote ride-height adjustment that's crapped out?

So unless there is a crapped out remote ride height adjuster, something is physically broken. Either the spring, the shock mountings or part of the unitrak assembly.

I wouldn't ride it until you've found out what's wrong.

That's really helpful thank you!!!

I did ride it half way back from Bristol like it as apart from parking it up and getting recovery, I didn't really have much choice. Think it would be ok for a gentle ride over to A2 Motorcycles in Gravesend (20 miles / 30 minutes) when they take it in or do you think that's a really bad idea and would be best to tow it over on a trailer?

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this, its a shock on its lowest preload setting. Either it was adjusted or the lock rings are loose. Thats why you are blinding people.

I didn't ask for details, you just didn't give any.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:42 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
Embarassed

And thats the bit of information you should have given us instead of a run around where you don't even tell us what the bike is and start telling us about electronic adjustments.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that explain why it's such a bloody rough ride? My arse is still hurting it was rattling me to pieces. Clearly I have no idea what I'm talking about but my uneducated guess would be if anything having it in this position would make it MORE or a plush ride as the spring is at its softest setting? Or could it be it's bottoming out?

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
TravisBickle wrote:
Embarassed

And thats the bit of information you should have given us instead of a run around where you don't even tell us what the bike is and start telling us about electronic adjustments.

Sorry. But to be fair the bike is in my signature.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 19:49 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
Sorry. But to be fair the bike is in my signature.

But to be fair you gave us no relevant information until what your 6th post?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:03 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signatures?

Pfffft, BCF is hundreds of times better with signatures disabled. Razz

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:15 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
See this, its a shock on its lowest preload setting. Either it was adjusted or the lock rings are loose. Thats why you are blinding people.

I didn't ask for details, you just didn't give any.

Good call. I didn't notice that when I looked at the pictures.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

semi actively putting loads of rebound in to compensate for it having insufficient sag, then the shock ends up compressed. Set the spring so it sags 35mm when you sit on it and try again.

OGR

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 01 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
Set the spring so it sags 35mm when you sit on it and try again.

Out of curiosity, see if the lock ring is loose enough to move at all by hand. If it is, it would indicate that a loose lock ring has caused the adjuster ring to slowly unscrew, lowering your preload and therefore rear ride height over time. I have no idea if it will be though, and it being more than hand tight probably doesn't prove it's tight enough.

As OGR says, you need to screw the adjuster ring down until the sag is about 35m, using a C spanner (I have no idea if you get one with an MT10), or very carefully with a blunt chisel and hammer. Then tighten the lock ring down to stop it moving (...again). You'll probably need an assistant to take the measurements while you're sat upright on the bike.

https://i.imgur.com/oOhsNtb.jpg

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:36 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's electronically controlled it could be a number of things.
Wire/s, connectors, relays, controllers, motor/servo and cetera.
Dealer should get it.
Unless you fancy going through the whole circuit unplugging and plugging to ensure the connection is at least pushed in properly.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 230 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2