Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yet another "What bike?" thread.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:52 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Yet another "What bike?" thread. Reply with quote

New job on the horizon. Much better money, so I'll be looking for something to do mainly commuting and a bit of hooning on, while I pull the VFR off the road and sort the list of non-essential, but "I know it needs doing" stuff to it. Budget £3K-ish.
Things to note.
    I'm dubious about inline fours*
    I like midrange.
    I'm 6'3" - No CBR/VFR400's for me.
    Not scared of wielding a spanner or three, but would rather ride it than fix it.
    Older models are fine within reason, but see above point.
    No budget exotica. That's reserved for the purchase after the VFR is sorted.
*I can't afford the ones I really like, possible exception of the ZZR1200 which is fugly but affordably fast.

Fire at me. Will be buying in the next couple of months, depends on how fast the process goes in transferring.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:11 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street triple. Then you'll sell the VFR and never look back.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:15 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Street triple. Then you'll sell the VFR and never look back.

VFR isn't getting sold, I like it far too much to sell, given what I would get for it.

I was looking at Speed Triples, not sure on differences between streets and those, I'm not really up on Triumphs. Definately not dismissing them.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:37 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street Triple is 675cc (or later 765cc) the Speed is 955cc or 1050cc depending on model, I think the current version is 1200cc.

Either way, the Street Triple has the same power to weight ratio as the 1050 Speed Triple, but it weighs so much less that it's so much more fun. The 1st gen Street Triple has the same power to weight ratio as a '93 FireBlade!

You can pick them up for around £3000 and they ride so well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:26 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackbird?

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:30 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early BMW R1150GS?

I confess I haven't ridden one of these, but it's a bike I'd like to have a go on - get the feeling it's the kind of bike you are gonna wind up loving or hating - which is why it intrigues me as a bike.

Reviews say it handles well, is torquey - so should be up for hooning.

As a commuter: Big, rangy, comfortable bike for tall people, Shaft drive, 200 mile plus tank range.

Higher mileage examples can be had for around 3k - if it's been well maintained then the extra miles shouldn't be an issue on these old boxer twins.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resisting the urge to say Street Triple (since I've just bought one to compliment my own VFRs), if you love midrange (and it seems you already like the look), the Speed Triple is a great option.

I've tried my mate's 1050 Speed Triple, and the grunt is staggering, at any revs, in any gear. I let it rev all the way up in 3rd from low revs, and its a solid slab of torque all the way up, and as you approach the redline, the front wheel just starts to lift... Not super nimble, but solid and planted in the corners. Riding position is comfortably upright, but the seat isn't suitable for proper touring really. I seriously considered one after trying it.

Ultimately, for me, I like small nimble bikes and I like engines you have to rev to get the best from, so the Street Triple was a better match. But the triple engine's mix of torque and revs is a great one in any form.

Do you count exotica as pretty much anything rare?

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:21 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:

Not really. But some bikes it would be a waste to commute on. I love the Tuono, but I don't think commuting on it is a realistic option.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
Blackbird?

See ZZR1200 - It's a maybe.
Droog wrote:
Early BMW R1150GS?

Nope. If I wanted something that size I'd get a Pan.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't rule out earlier litre bikes (circa 2001 gsxr, blades, etc). I commuted on my k1 gsxr 1000 for a few years. Bigger and comfier than newer stuff, bags of grunt low down make the half asleep morning commute easy and the afternoon hoon home fun. Pre-electobollocks makes spannering easy.

Your budget gets good ones.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:57 - 02 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since wr6133 mentioned the gsxr, I'm loving the zx9r, I suppose it's similar. I've done entire rides under 6-7krpm when following behind slower bikes, it's useable and enjoyable due to the torque, as you rev it up, well it still scares the shit out of me tbh. Also found it to be moderately comfortable unless your commute involves lots of traffic/narrow filtering, then it's too wide, gets handy/wristy crampy and heats your legs. A streetfighter could do the trick Laughing

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 07:42 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki TL1000S (with the rear shock upgrade).

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:49 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about Litre bikes, but I'm not a fan of IL4's, and I know that kills a lot of bikes straight off.
If I went that route, the ZZR1200 and Blackbird are possibilities (I've ridden both, they're both happy commuting, both will get a hustle on). ZRX11/1200, XJR12/1300, CB1400 are all nice and right up my street, but prices are silly for any of them. I can get one for 3Kish, but it won't be as nice as 3K blackbird, ZZR etc.

ZX9R? Pretty sure the bars are low on that. VFR position is about as low as I want to go, I'm not 20 any more.

Streetfighter? Love them to bits. Depends on finding a properly sorted one, not a crashed, fairingless ZX6R with Renthals. I suspect my insurance should be managable now.

TL1000? Yeah, no reason not to have a look at them. On the list. Good to know about the shock.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:53 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong with IL4?

Would you get a Tiger 800 for that sort of money? Possibly. Mainly commuting that wouldn't be a bad shout.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:23 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
TL1000? Yeah, no reason not to have a look at them. On the list. Good to know about the shock.

Yeah, there was controversy regarding the TLs OEM rotary damper which could overheat and seize - many TLs were converted to a conventional rear shock (e.g Bitubo) as a result.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
What's wrong with IL4?

Wrong? Nothing, there's a reason so many exist. They're just not really my thing. I've ridden plenty, but it gets to be much of a muchness unless you get to silly stuff, which I can't afford or has high maintenance requirements. As said, ZZR1200 and Blackbird are in with a shout. Busa's are way beyond ZZR1200 fugly and out of my budget.
arry wrote:
Would you get a Tiger 800 for that sort of money? Possibly. Mainly commuting that wouldn't be a bad shout.

It's all a bit GS-ish. Maybe superbly practical, but again recent (last decade or so) ADV stuff just isn't my thing. Proper Dual Sport (showing my age here) or Motard? Sure, the commute isn't that long. Finding something not thrashed for £3K will be a challenge.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:06 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aprilia Shiver 750, maybe?

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:18 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

ZX9R? Pretty sure the bars are low on that. VFR position is about as low as I want to go, I'm not 20 any more.

Streetfighter? Love them to bits. Depends on finding a properly sorted one, not a crashed, fairingless ZX6R with Renthals. I suspect my insurance should be managable now..

Ditto, yes they are lower than VFR, but "high for a sport bike", nevertheless I wouldn't mind at all if they were higher...

I have seen a well done sfighter here or there and wouldn't mind exchanging mine tbh, what I like most about it is the engine, but your point is right.

I've looked at bbirds and wondered if they might serve me better than the zx9r tbh.

I'm afraid I only have IL4 suggestions.

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:44 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Zen Dog wrote:

Not really. But some bikes it would be a waste to commute on. I love the Tuono, but I don't think commuting on it is a realistic option.

Used to commute on an Aprilia Falco which is essentially the same bike.

No problems, parts are fairly easily available. As long as the battery is used reasonably regularly/kept charged then no real issues. If you want a big twin then Tuono would be a good choice for around that budget, Falco will be cheaper and do exactly the same but different riding position/comfort.

Can you not continue to use the VFR for another few months so you can increase the budget for a nicer bike? Go up by a grand or two and you could be looking at KTM SMT990, Ducati ST3 is decent but probably just an exotic version of what you have. You could get a higher mileage CB1300 for a little more than your budget, or up your budget by a grand or so again and get something a bit lower mileage.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:38 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

If I went that route, the ZZR1200 and Blackbird are possibilities (I've ridden both, they're both happy commuting, both will get a hustle on). ZRX11/1200, XJR12/1300, CB1400 are all nice and right up my street, but prices are silly for any of them. I can get one for 3Kish, but it won't be as nice as 3K blackbird, ZZR etc.

I have to mention the FZS1000 Fazer of course, if you do consider any IL4s. Suspension upgrade and it really is a very good bike. Not as torquey as a V, but does have plenty lower down the rev range for everyday use. If I wasn't in the mood for caning it, I'd often plug it into a higher gear and then pretty much leave the gearbox alone for much of a ride. Very versatile bikes, and you can definitely have some fun too. Plenty comfortable enough for distance work, reliable.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:02 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki SV1000 - either the naked or half faired version depending on taste. Worth checking out.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:04 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irezumi wrote:
If you want a big twin then Tuono would be a good choice for around that budget, Falco will be cheaper and do exactly the same but different riding position/comfort.

It was the V4 Tuono I rode, but that's more than a bit out of my price range. Certainly open to the twins, having had a quick go on a Mille a few years back, but I thought I heard they eat valves?
Irezumi wrote:
Can you not continue to use the VFR for another few months so you can increase the budget for a nicer bike? Go up by a grand or two...

But for £5K I may as well add a bit more and get a warranty. I'm happy sticking around £3K. Will get me something reliable and enough to have some fun with.
chickenstrip wrote:
I have to mention the FZS1000 Fazer of course, if you do consider any IL4s.

I'd be worried you had been abducted if you didn't, lol. I'll see if I can borrow a mates for a quick spin.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been thinking about your requirement of "mainly commuting and bit of hooning".

Depends on the length and nature of the commute, but maybe a DRZ400SM or a Duke 390? Both are slim and nimble, so good for traffic, but maybe not the best if it's a long commute. DRZs aren't cheap for what you're getting really, but they seem to hold their value incredibly well. I met a guy a couple of weeks ago with a 390 and an S1000RR, and he said that he usually takes his 390 to the track because it's such good fun.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:

chickenstrip wrote:
I have to mention the FZS1000 Fazer of course, if you do consider any IL4s.

I'd be worried you had been abducted if you didn't, lol. I'll see if I can borrow a mates for a quick spin.

Mr. Green
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
DRZs aren't cheap for what you're getting really.

No, they're not. See ZRX/XJR/CB above.
Nice bike, but you can get a lot more bike for £3K. I'd probably look at FMX650's or Yam 660 based stuff if I narrowed it down to a pre-ADV or Motard.
Zen Dog wrote:
I met a guy a couple of weeks ago with a 390

That's an easy nope. QC and longevity issues well documented on here.

Someone IRL mentioned a BT1100 and an MT01. Anyone got any experience of these?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 225 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3