Yet another "What bike?" thread.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:16 - 03 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Someone IRL mentioned a BT1100 and an MT01. Anyone got any experience of these?

MT-01's are hard to find and hold their value, they are at least 5k and are never likely to go lower due to scarcity. Barely seen let alone ridden.

BT1100 is a virago in a more upright chassis, bit wallowly and underpowered (65bhp). Theres better offerings out there.

Above someone mentioned an SV1000. I have the S model which is very capable but having owned and ridden the Aprilia twins I would go that way. Nothing wrong with the Suzuki but the Aprilia's are just better.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 04 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Zen Dog wrote:
I met a guy a couple of weeks ago with a 390

That's an easy nope. QC and longevity issues well documented on here.

I missed that memo clearly. Got any links? I'm not finding much, and just curious to see what issues they have.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:01 - 04 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:
I missed that memo clearly. Got any links? I'm not finding much, and just curious to see what issues they have.

Not offhand. They were made in the same factory as the 125 and both had lots of rust coming through paint on new bikes, literally months old.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:54 - 04 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hornet 900?

Add a small screen and it works well for everything (apart from proper green lanes!)

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 04 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Hornet 900?Add a small screen and it works well for everything (apart from proper green lanes!)

They're perfectly capable, but see above regarding IL4's.

So, Shortlist so far.
Speed/Street Triple, ZZR1200, Blackbird, Tuono (V2)/Falco/Shiver, TL1000S, SV1000.
A Mate is going to let me borrow his Fazer thou for a day or three, see what I think of it.

Keithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:43 - 04 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did like the Shiver when I sat on one, just being a noob it was a little intimidating and a bit tall. You are certainly tall enough and experienced enough.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 04 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Kentol750 wrote:
Hornet 900?Add a small screen and it works well for everything (apart from proper green lanes!)

So, Shortlist so far.
Speed/Street Triple, ZZR1200, Blackbird, Tuono (V2)/Falco/Shiver, TL1000S, SV1000.
A Mate is going to let me borrow his Fazer thou for a day or three, see what I think of it.

i have heard it said that getting parts for an Aprillia can be a bit of a nightmare. that would put me off owning one. something to consider.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:16 - 05 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

to v or not to v wrote:
i have heard it said that getting parts for an Aprillia can be a bit of a nightmare. that would put me off owning one. something to consider.

I tend to use Breakers and Scrappies and have a decent relationship with a few. All bikes have a few parts that are an arse to get. I'm more worried about them eating valves, though a cursory Google looks like it's V4's and happens around 10K-20K.

Going to ride the Fazer Thou today. No doubt he'll try to flog me his Pre-VTEC VFR800 if I don't like the FZR. Must be strong, must say no... if it was red I'd be a goner (gear driven cams Wink ), thankfully it's blue.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 05 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
No doubt he'll try to flog me his Pre-VTEC VFR800 if I don't like the FZR. Must be strong, must say no... if it was red I'd be a goner (gear driven cams Wink ), thankfully it's blue.

A man after my own heart. Laughing Always wanted a red one, ended up with two black ones. Rolling Eyes The 800FI is honestly no better than the 750, and the linked brakes are pointless. Be strong brother.

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:12 - 05 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

VTR 1000 'Firestorm' is a decent, sporty litre twin.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:07 - 05 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

droog wrote:

For a commuter though, filling up with fuel every day gets annoying really quickly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:47 - 05 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
droog wrote:

For a commuter though, filling up with fuel every day gets annoying really quickly.

Yeah, fair point.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 05 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fazer was OK, very capable, just not my thing. Swapped and rode the VFR800 after about 50 miles and did 85 on that. I didn't buy the VFR, despite much effort on mates part. It's nice, but nothing my 750 doesn't have, apart from about 100K fewer miles.

If I didn't already have a 750, it would have been a no brainer.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:26 - 05 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me you already have the bike you want and need. Why not just go for a lower miles, better condition example?

After many bikes over the years, I've settled on one that does everything I need. Whilst I sometimes get interested in trying something else, I know there's nothing that'll replace what I've already got. That's kind of nice, cos I know I won't have to ever wonder what to get next anymore, and maybe end up going through bikes I find aren't right for me after laying out all the money that costs.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:04 - 06 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Seems to me you already have the bike you want and need. Why not just go for a lower miles, better condition example?

There's certainly an argument for that, but I want a bit of variety. If a low (in VFR terms) mileage 4th gen came up at the right price, maybe, but I'd rather have something I haven't had before.

TaffyTDM
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 05:15 - 06 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consider a later tdm, low end shove, and handle much better than they look like they should do!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:32 - 06 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

There's certainly an argument for that, but I want a bit of variety. If a low (in VFR terms) mileage 4th gen came up at the right price, maybe, but I'd rather have something I haven't had before.

What stumps me a little is that you said it'll be mainly for commuting. For that, I'd just want the most practical thing; I don't think I'd be looking for a new experience. That's where I think IL4s are a good bet. Not the most spectacular of engines but smooth, reliable, and plenty of choice to pick something comfortable from.

At the end of the day, your VFR is going to be hard to beat. So commute on that, and get a Street Triple for hooning - job done! Very Happy
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:29 - 06 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
What stumps me a little is that you said it'll be mainly for commuting.
At the end of the day, your VFR is going to be hard to beat. So commute on that, and get a Street Triple for hooning - job done! Very Happy

The commuting is until I can sort the shock, subframe and rear manifold on the VFR. You can guarantee that at least one bolt will snap, as it's a given that none of these have been off in 25 years. As I need to commute, I feel it's better to pull the VFR off the road entirely and sort it. Hence the Commuting, and once they're sorted, it'll be a "fun" bike.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:33 - 09 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why choose a VFR as a fun bike though? It's good at everything sure, but it's not 'blow you away' fun like, say, a Street Triple.

I reckon you might find your temporary replacement bike is more fun than the VFR. The VFR is not a bad bike, it's just a little bit too clinical at everything.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:04 - 09 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Why choose a VFR as a fun bike though?

I think he's saying that the new bike will be the "fun" bike, but it needs to be capable of commuting until the VFR is sorted, and then the VFR can take over commuting duties.

Anyway, VFRs are fun. We're all just spoilt. Very Happy

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:35 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Kentol750 wrote:

So, Shortlist so far.

Street is my perfect all-rounder. It's weight + initial punch + linear power band with a bit of a top end make it a joy to sing through bends. It's bit of extra grunt down low mean you can hit roundabouts at 10mph in 3rd and still roll on fine. Unlike (even a 190bhp) IL4 it doesn't require 2nd gear for slow stuff. Making commuting a bit easier.

You can either think it has the best characteristics of a v-twin (punch) and IL4 (top end), or the worst (runs out of puff too early + gutless low down) .

I think its best of both. Drive when you need it (which is most of the time) and enough top end to have fun and overtake.......ish. It helps if you are not 18.6 stone and 6ft 2.
Certainly my SV650 was easier and litre easier still, brap and go.
Striple needs to be on it, or in the 0-40 range.

I do miss the grunt of a litre bike. But I'm obese. Also miss a fairing on motorways (but not massively now go decent ear plugs).

What about Triumph Sprint? Triple 1050 motor plus a fairing.

I love my 675, and will replace with another (765).

But I miss the litre + fairing......but don't miss the weight when barrelling into corners.

Blackbird seems another good one. Prices were high for a while because they became a bit of a classic.

Hornet 900 seems good, but no wind protection (maybe not an issue).

all IL4

ZX9, might trigger the "spannering vs riding" thing. Again IL4

Triumph Street, Speed, Sprint. +1

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:49 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:

What about Triumph Sprint? Triple 1050 motor plus a fairing.

My Sprint sucked balls. Why I kept it so long I just don't know.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:36 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got FJ1200/1300 experience? A mates got both, needs to sell one, both currently MOT'd etc and pics look clean enough, he looks after his kit. Don't mind helping a mate out if the bike is genuinely useful/capable. That being said, I don't want a Diversion on steroids, I can always buy a Pan if I want a perfectly capable but dull tourer. Not averse to weight, I ride a VFR after all, and have had a ZZR1100 in the past, but I know next to feck all about these.

Sprint - Not really setting my world on fire. Will stick to Street and Speed if I look at Triumphs.

All this has to wait until My work get their arse into gear and transfer me, so we'll be hassling managers tomorrow AM.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've got the FJR's pencilled in...

But talk to me about Street/Speed triples. Are there ones to get? Avoid? Common problems? Seems a few of you have them on here, so I'd rather have actual owners knowledge than a review based on a booze laden Journo's hazy impression on a jolly to some sunny country. I like the looks of the older speed triples, but I like fighters, and vaguely remember seeing it in some movie for the first time, and liking it.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 21:50 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
So I've got the FJR's pencilled in...

But talk to me about Street/Speed triples. Are there ones to get? Avoid? Common problems? Seems a few of you have them on here, so I'd rather have actual owners knowledge than a review based on a booze laden Journo's hazy impression on a jolly to some sunny country. I like the looks of the older speed triples, but I like fighters, and vaguely remember seeing it in some movie for the first time, and liking it.

The one to get is the round headlight Street Triple from 2008 onwards, ideally a 2009 Street Triple R. The later models have different gearing and aren't quite as much fun. The 1050 Speed Triple is heavy and feels like a different sort of bike.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 215 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3