Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Blood glucose level testing with patch sensor

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 06 Sep 2021    Post subject: Blood glucose level testing with patch sensor Reply with quote

Are those blood glucose level patch testers that link via Bluetooth to a phone app any good?

Cheers.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:35 - 06 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good ones are.

I don't know anything about the various models but the one my granddaughter's 17yr old boyfriend has works exceedingly well. It has to - his life depends on it.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:07 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of them are good enough to control an insulin pump with. If that dicks up, you are dead.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:47 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend of mine has had one for the last couple of years with no bother. It's changed his life - has lived with Type 1 for 30 years. The ability to know whether he's heading up or down and how far in each direction has given him so much more flexibility.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:27 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which brands are legit?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:51 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Which brands are legit?

Surely being medical they would all have to pass stringent safety rules or be wide open to lawsuits?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:29 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:
Which brands are legit?

Surely being medical they would all have to pass stringent safety rules or be wide open to lawsuits?

I would think so but I suspect if buying from Amazon or fleabay then "meant for guidance not medical use" clause will be in the smallprint somewhere.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds waaaay to important to chance or cheap out on
I'd ask my doctors or start with these folk

https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/managing-your-diabetes/testing/test-strips-and-monitors

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:10 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've asked what the model of the sender is. The app he uses is called Freestyle Librelink.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:49 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use other types of freestyle branded blood monitors at work so those are definately a legit make.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:12 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be curious to see how much of your personal medical readings they are secretly sending back to them.

Polarbear wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:
Which brands are legit?

Coming from a country that invented mad cow disease and synthetic drugs being sold as natural herbal smoking blends plus we have unaccountable amazon/ebay selling god knows what from god knows.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a no from me. The having something continuously attached to your skin is an absolute no no.

T1 for 30 something years with an A1c of 5.5 - using a mix of Porcine Isophane and Novorapid.

Spend enough bloody time tied to a phone as it is without my Diabeasties mithering me via it as well.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:55 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The freestyle libre seems to be the most popular.

Thanks folks. Now just need to see if the NHS will pay for it.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:22 - 08 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
Now just need to see if the NHS will pay for it.

As the fuckers are taking an extra 1.25% off my share dividends to fund the NHS, just tell them I said it was OK. Thumbs Up

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:46 - 08 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Ribenapigeon wrote:
Now just need to see if the NHS will pay for it.

As the fuckers are taking an extra 1.25% off my share dividends to fund the NHS, just tell them I said it was OK. Thumbs Up

Let’s hope they spend it wisely.

https://ics-ceo-recruitment.com/all-roles
Doh!

(from the Guido Fawkes website.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:31 - 08 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Let’s hope they spend it wisely.

https://ics-ceo-recruitment.com/all-roles
Doh!

(from the Guido Fawkes website.)

That's my concern, any extra money in local authority budgets will end up in the pockets of the usual feckless grifters.
If they really want to expand the care sector then they should stipulate that charities get preference for contracts and that those charities should operate as cooperatives where wages are kept within a certain percentage bandwith of average wage. This is essentially how things used to be when the sector was developing modern services in the decade after the community care act. There wasn't much difference between the wages of the frontline worker and the management and often workers sat on the boards of directors. As the squeeze was put on funding during the early 2000s the ethically run organisations pulled out, quite rightly on the grounds that quality services can't be run on the cheap. The more arch grifters in the business saw an opportunity though and these are the people now running the show, through big psuedo-charities, stacking up underfunded services contracts which they skim to pay themselves ever increasing wages. The entire system is a corrupt relationship between the politicians (photo ops with people in wheelchairs), the local authority commisioners (fat wages in return for silence) and the service providers ( sheer greed by the management).
Suffice to say, next time some tw*t at your workplace comes round begging you to sponser them to ride their bicycle up the local big hill for "charity", ask them if the charity is a contractor for local government and if the answers yes then please tell them to f#ck off.

mgh0
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:32 - 08 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Freestyle Libre is available on the NHS, each sensor lasts 14 days and they are reasonably easily modified to work as a continous glucose monitor rather than a flash monitor.

I use mine with a MiaoMiao 2 reader which connects to an app called Xdrip+ on my mobile phone and gives me a reading every 5 minutes, it will also predict highs and lows and give me a decent amount of notice if this is happening. You can also program it with how much insulin you need for your carbohydrates and enter amounts of each and it will predict your insulin on board, and how you should react.

Set up properly it is life changingly good.

Things like the Dexcom system or the Medtronic guardian are rarely funded by the NHS as they are expensive, but it depends on your local authority.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 228 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1