Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Unable to remove exhaust header nuts.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:18 - 06 Sep 2021    Post subject: Unable to remove exhaust header nuts. Reply with quote

Hi all, I just bought a black widow exhaust to install on my Kawasaki ER6N 2015. The 4 nuts holding the exhaust headers were very rusted to start with. I was able to apply some WD40 and using a bolt remover sockets, I was able to move 3 of the 4 nuts. One of the nuts seems to be rounded and the 12mm bolt remover socket is not able to get a hold of it. The 11mm is too tight to fit.

Any advise on how I can remove this nut? Also I want to buy new nuts to replace them. Can you recommend what I should buy to replace them?

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:21 - 06 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some plus gas, much better than WD40, apply liberally and leave to soak for 12 hours. Get a torx socket that is slightly small and hammer it on, it will either bring the nut off or the nut and stud together.

OGR

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 06 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
Get some plus gas, much better than WD40, apply liberally and leave to soak for 12 hours. Get a torx socket that is slightly small and hammer it on, it will either bring the nut off or the nut and stud together.

OGR

I don't think the nut is stuck too hard. It looks like the rust has eaten up the nut a lot. The remaining 3 moved without much effort.

I already bought the below bolt remover from Amazon which looks very similar to the torx sockets. Do you suggest I just hammer the 11mm on the nut and give it a go? With the 12mm, it is just not able to hold.

Also can you recommend some nuts I can buy to replace these?

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 06 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, just bray it on and give it a go, nothing to lose. I dont know about replacement nuts but they are usually generic sizes you can get from any local nut and bolt supplier. Get stainless steel if you can and put a bit of copperslip grease on the threads.

OGR

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:38 - 06 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take your time.
It’s a major fuck up if you wreck a thread in the heed .
Release agent, time to soak in, PROPERLY fitting socket or spanner and plenty heat.
A little shock with a hammer etc if required but first, add more heat.

When you think it won’t go add some heat. The heat it again.

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 22:57 - 06 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:
Take your time.
It’s a major fuck up if you wreck a thread in the heed .
Release agent, time to soak in, PROPERLY fitting socket or spanner and plenty heat.
A little shock with a hammer etc if required but first, add more heat.

When you think it won’t go add some heat. The heat it again.

I am now thinking I should get it fitted... Don't want to break something. Any idea on how much fitting would cost roughly?

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 06 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wont wreck a thread undoing it, the stud will come out before you do. Your best bet is to probably take it to someone who can. Not putting you down but if you dont have the confidence and feel to do it, get an experienced person to do it. As an engineer all my life you have to be brutal sometimes, if its rusted on there's only one way it comes off.

OGR

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:04 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replce the nuts with brass ones. They will tend not to stick and if they do, the nut is softer metal than the stud it's on.

I think "being brutal" is bad advice. Sounds like a recipe for snapping a stud off flush with the head and they are a total ball-ache to extract if you do.

If you have access to a welder, welding another nut to the top of it is usually very effective.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:21 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Replce the nuts with brass ones. They will tend not to stick and if they do, the nut is softer metal than the stud it's on.

I think "being brutal" is bad advice. Sounds like a recipe for snapping a stud off flush with the head and they are a total ball-ache to extract if you do.

If you have access to a welder, welding another nut to the top of it is usually very effective.

So far the 'advice/advise' has been nuts.

Stainless and copper slip will do nothing but make things worse.
Plusgas. Pish. There's very little effect using a 'release agent. Even if it was soaked in the shot for weeks.

Being brutal is just wot stinky sex. Recipe of disaster.

If you can get heat on it it might work, or if you can weld on something to get a grip of that might work.

The only proper advice worth consideration is how to remove broken exhaust studs.
How you get the old ones out is neither here nor there.

davebike
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:31 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use heat
Use proper penetrating fluid like Kano Kroil I use Wurth Rost off but that is trade

Soak heat try (DO NOT BREAK) repeat

Cost to do professionally Time at hourly rate + small charge fro materials from 1 hour £50 with me to several and a drilled / timesert repair may be £200 !

Exhaust studs are often a problem Hopefully pro's would have good heating I use a big propane torch or an inductive heater and proper penetrating fluid + patience! Me I hate having to drill them so am very careful
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Re: Unable to remove exhaust header nuts. Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:
Hi all, I just bought a black widow exhaust to install on my Kawasaki ER6N 2015. The 4 nuts holding the exhaust headers were very rusted to start with. I was able to apply some WD40 and using a bolt remover sockets, I was able to move 3 of the 4 nuts. One of the nuts seems to be rounded and the 12mm bolt remover socket is not able to get a hold of it. The 11mm is too tight to fit.

Any advise on how I can remove this nut? Also I want to buy new nuts to replace them. Can you recommend what I should buy to replace them?

I don't have any advice on this, I just came to ask what length of Black Widow can you got? I have a 2009 ER6-F with a 230mm can and it sounds good and throaty with the baffle in and absolutely brutal with the baffle out. With the baffle out of mine I can be heard from streets away.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:30 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat is 10x better than any penetrating oil IME.

BUT you need a proper source - a regular propane torch heat will be sucked up by the aluminium heatsink (sorry head). A MAP gas torch will be better. The welder trick also causes a heat 'shock' Induction heaters are I think what the pro's use.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:46 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Re: Unable to remove exhaust header nuts. Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

I don't have any advice on this, I just came to ask what length of Black Widow can you got? I have a 2009 ER6-F with a 230mm can and it sounds good and throaty with the baffle in and absolutely brutal with the baffle out. With the baffle out of mine I can be heard from streets away.

I got the 300mm as it states that it is road legal with the baffle in. Anything under I understand is not road legal in UK...

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:03 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the consensus is to use penetrating fluids, heat and go slowly. I will get a good penetrating oil and give it a go. See attached photo. The second nut from the left is the one which is currently rounded.

I don't think I will be able to heat it enough with my electric heat gun. Will just try with penetrating oils and if I can't get it to move, I will just take it to a professional.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Re: Unable to remove exhaust header nuts. Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:
Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

I got the 300mm as it states that it is road legal with the baffle in. Anything under I understand is not road legal in UK...

My bike passes it's MOT with the baffles in (albeit with an advisory). As far as I am aware the length of a can itself doesn't matter a hoot regards legality.

The last three MOT's have had the following advisories:

Check-MOT Service GOV.UK wrote:
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
Handlebar deformed but serviceable Handlebars bent (2.2.1 (c) (i))
Exhaust noisy (8.1.1 (a))

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:59 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn... I sympathise. I've always said if I'd left my bike another season I'd probably end up in the same situation.

My nuts didn't look as crusty as yours (fnarr, fnarr!) but I still soaked them with WD40 the previous day and then blasted them with a MAPP torch. Bear in mind that this is an area of the bike than gets supremely hot just in normal running so whacking it with heat isn't going to damage anything.

Similarly hammering on your too-tight nut extractor. The mere act of hammering it on will jar the stud a bit which is a good thing. The tool, nut, stud and exhaust flange are all sacrificial. I'd say give it a go as if you fuck it up and shear it off at the head you've still got three studs to hold the exhaust on with while you ride it to the garage Very Happy

"But if I fuck it up I'll have to take it to a garage!" so, err... the solution instead is to take it to a garage?!

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:02 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:
I see the consensus is to use penetrating fluids, heat and go slowly. I will get a good penetrating oil and give it a go. See attached photo. The second nut from the left is the one which is currently rounded.

I don't think I will be able to heat it enough with my electric heat gun. Will just try with penetrating oils and if I can't get it to move, I will just take it to a professional.

I'd be very surprised if any fluid makes much difference. It will will take weeks of daily applications and only once you'ce scrubbed the rust off. ease teh nut back and forth too if you can not just one way.

Then get some brass (as suggested) or domed nuts like they used to fit. Rolling Eyes

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried mole grips?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a single hex socket that is tight AF on the nuts.
If you can get the nuts red hot then malkie the socket over them they will come off by carefully loosening. And tightening. When you get the bastirts moving then spray with what ever Jizyou have. It's all snake oil mostly. If it lubricates and can wash out some rust it might help once you get the phukers moving.
Those nuts aren't too bad.
Waste of time and cash spraying any shite on them alone. Penetrating fluid only penetrates where there is a gap. Rust expands as it grows so plugs any gaps.
If you can't move the nuts then they're effectively watertight.
Heating and cooling might help fluid get in but time wasting.
Don't set fire to anything when heating your nuts. Rolling Eyes

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:44 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advise. I think I am just going to get it fitted. Little worried that I may damage something. Called a garage and was quoted upto £80 to fit it which isn't bad.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sapstar wrote:
Thanks for all the advise. I think I am just going to get it fitted. Little worried that I may damage something. Called a garage and was quoted upto £80 to fit it which isn't bad.

...err and they already know about the stuck nut right?

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:54 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

...err and they already know about the stuck nut right?

I don't think the nut is stuck... It's just that the head is rounded and the socket is not able to get hold of it. A professional should be able to fit something and extract it easily. The reason I think it is not stuck is because the remaining 3 nuts moved without much effort.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:57 - 09 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have that off in two shakes of lamb's wotsit.

Wouldn't be tking it to no bloody garage that's for sure. They might be good and get the nuts off the rusted bolts, or they might shear the bolts and wreck the head trying to drill them out.

Time will tell....

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sapstar
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:43 - 09 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the exhaust fitted today. I was charged £70 which I thought was quite reasonable. But there are a few isssues Sad.

The garage tells me that the exhaust is leaking where the headers connect to the engine and some gaskets need to be fitted. Got the bike back today, but will need to go back after the gaskets arrive. Also I noticed that the exhaust is slightly touching the bottom of the foot peg hanger. Need to get this sorted as well.
For now exhaust sounds too loud even with a baffle, probably because of the leakage.

Also can someone clarify if this is normal. When easing off the throttle, sometimes I hear a slight backfire. This is more obvious at slower speeds and not as noticeable at highway speeds.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:21 - 09 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get popping on the over-run if your exhaust is leaking at the headers because fresh air is drawn in through the leak after every exhaust event and that allows any un-burnt hydrocarbons within the exhaust to ignite - causing the backfire. It's normal for your circumstances.

The gaskets you can get and fit yourself now that the garage has fitted the exhaust. They should have changed the rusted nuts out for new ones.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 222 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2