Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

RXS100 died today :(

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

NorthantsPete
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:17 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: RXS100 died today :( Reply with quote

So the other day I was out on t he so far old faithful
It cut out about 40 mins into my journey when the air temp was warm. a bit like when you need to switch to reserve when out of fuel so i did.

It made no difference. I kicked it again, and off i went. I stopped off an then came home ok

Topped off the oil reservoir, 2/3 full. Went out today, all going fine but it was a hot morning, again around 40 mins in, i pulled over and set my route home. I then came to a bumpy hill, I revved it so i could get up and at the top it cut out.
I kicked and kicked until it was flooded so tried later in the shade. I got it going by pushing it down the hill, getting it to catch at 200-3k.. gently squeeze the throttle, the revs would creep up to 3k, any higher die, so let it idle there.
squeezed throttle a bit more then got higher and higher , couple of back fires then it was ticking over but no more than 5k.

I then came home, no more than 5k and 30ish mph... i had no power at all really, it was only when i got a mile from home to a massive hill, a car was right up my *rse and wouldnt overtake, i dropped a gear let the revs raise and then it slowly cut out and went RATTLE RATTLE CLUNK and appeared seized. Clutch in quick and had to push it home in million degree heat. (selected neutral ok)

Thinking i had a duff plug and and ive flooded the engine with too much throttle, i took it out, no hydraulic lock.
It goes up and down the gears ok but wont turn over at all.

Im guessing, in the heat, its siezed... next question, whats the course of action? I poured in some 2 stroke oil to see if it would free, nothing.
rocked back and forth, nothing.

It could be lower end but id expect some case damage... doesnt mean it hasnt failed lower end though.

So, to recap, some warning sign
i) cutting out like no fuel (possible mini seize?)

ii) then it eventually got going but wasnt happy (at the time thought fuel supply or electrics/bad plug)

iii) eventually stalled altogether and now wont turn over.

thoughts, bottom end gone (but why would it stall then go) or the oil wasnt being supplied properly and its seized (how to check)

Ive had 2 strokes fail before, usually me being stupid and forgetting oil, or blowing a gasket from revs, easily replaced, but this was all topped up and ready to go. Tesco premium fuel so should be ok (said e5).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

NorthantsPete
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:31 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah dear, im reading this and it sounds like 100% seized. https://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/tech/dirt-bike-tech-twostroke-seizure-52428.html

not all bad as the top end is easier fix than the lower end i guess but i need to find why it happened.

the engine wasnt cold, i used really good synthetic oil and good fuel (im lead to believe)

I have never taken the head apart though, the haynes manual doesnt ask me to either... but i keep up with the rest. The air filter is stock and oiled. Maybe i didnt oil it enough when i last cleaned it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:28 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll just have to open it up you might find an interesting mess like roller bearing pins wedged down the side of piston or it might be hard to discern what's wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 minute with simple tools to take the head off for a look-see. 10 mins with a few more to take the barrel off unless it's proper buggered.
Post some pics for an appraisal.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 07 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can rebuild one side of a Yamaha twin in a TV ad break. The RXS might take a bit longer as the barrel bolts down separately but it’s still a piece of piss to do. You do need to be 100% certain why it seized though before you rebuild it.

NorthantsPete
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:20 - 08 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, i had suspicions it was running lean as it seems a bit too hot and i was so careful not to engine break on big hills to avoid starvation of oil. it never really smoked either, plug and exhaust was clean as a whistle, so again sounds lean.

The air filter, i think is not oily enough could well be one reason, but ive also never taken the carb off

idle, not mega rough once going a little temperamental on startup having to blip it a bit before warm

2 stroke oil wise, they had crap back in the 80s, im using fully synth race oil as i have loads i presume it will exceed spec

other than that, I will need to check oil feed pipe not blocked, im unsure how to test the flow rate though? Haynes says i need a 'special tool' so come on give us a clue, special tool brings allsorts up in google

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 08 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running lean doesn't mean what you think it means.

Lack of oil is not running lean.

An AFR mix with too little fuel / too much air is running lean.

Also running the oil pump you don't have to worry about oil starvation on a closed throttle.

Fully Synth is slight overkill on an RXS but worst case scenario it just doesn't burn very well and you get a wet tip (fnarr) on the exhaust.

Unless the cable is broken, the drive has sheared, the system is full of air or the pipe has fallen off failures of the Yamaha oil pump are fairly rare. If the stroke and cable is set correctly and the pump is stroking if you pull the cable fully open with the engine idling then that should be fine.

We need to see the barrel and piston to make any further comment really.

NorthantsPete
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:47 - 08 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah sorry it sound slike im mixing the two terms but what i meant was i tried all i can not to seize it by driving style... i now need to find out why it seized
was it running lean or was it an oil supply issue
ill whip the head off tomorrow and we'll see

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:54 - 08 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

One or both of your rings may have given way and then continued use siezed it properly so it may not be oil or mixture.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 09 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weren't you the chap that was sticking an oversize kit on a poorly running RXS? If so, did you ever get the standard setup running ok or did you just drop the larger kit on it?

NorthantsPete
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
Weren't you the chap that was sticking an oversize kit on a poorly running RXS? If so, did you ever get the standard setup running ok or did you just drop the larger kit on it?

hey buddy, yeah I was, and no never got around to it... now may be that time!

You want to see what caused it all?

take a look!

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4775589#4775589

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:19 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
You'll just have to open it up you might find an interesting mess like roller bearing pins wedged down the side of piston or it might be hard to discern what's wrong.

Fukkin nailed it. Clapping Clapping

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=105009

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=4775589#4775589

NorthantsPete
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 12:27 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

so when the gypsey said "well its recently been rebuilt"... he meant 'sort of.

I noticed the front two barrel bolts were also hand tight! Rolling Eyes
wont have helped.

so when i hit bumps int he road and flawed it like a rallycross rider, the pins finally dislodged and voila.

5 miles later one catches on a port and clunk.

now to decide if the top end can just be replaced or if its a full rebuild

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:44 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

NorthantsPete wrote:
so when the gypsey said "well its recently been rebuilt"... he meant 'sort of.

I noticed the front two barrel bolts were also hand tight! Rolling Eyes
wont have helped.

so when i hit bumps int he road and flawed it like a rallycross rider, the pins finally dislodged and voila.

5 miles later one catches on a port and clunk.

now to decide if the top end can just be replaced or if its a full rebuild

Are the pins out of the little end or big end??? Regardless they didn't come out because of bumps in the road, the bearing came apart because it was seriously worn and you continued thrashing it like a red headed step child. I don't believe for second that engine didn't sound like two skeletons fucking in a dustbin before it let go. If the big end has died you'll be needing a crank rebuild for sure, although you might need one anyway looking at the fucking state of the engine. For what it costs i'd be chucking a rebore and piston at it as well, then you know it's back to health. It's a bit of a rookie blow up though, my YR5 spat a ring peg and the rings caught in the ports with enough gutso to crack the liner under the transfer port. I just cut that bit of liner out and stuck a hone down it cause i'm a fucking pro.

NorthantsPete
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah new bike to me the last month or so, so it must have let go, it sounded sweet prior to this.

Im making a shopping list

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:46 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging by the length of the rollers, I'd be having a good hard look at the big end....

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:47 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes a 4-stroke to properly fuck up a piston.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/AM-JKLW5AN5LiupqKf3-_HyxdlX2s9Fm6ubjyANml4hh3r5_2-VE1XX9OgSBq2ph7XVOqklDlXfks_0_vnBrZAyrwZ0M_ZQCDVi00lzp0EHuqmf5LOq1nLg52uhDPL2A4Mj7TD70Y08eDYGab8qvPo6SfFQx=w1283-h962-no

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:05 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

redeem ouzzer wrote:
.. you continued thrashing it like a red headed step child. I don't believe for second that engine didn't sound like two skeletons fucking in a dustbin before it let go.

..painting pictures with words Laughing

NorthantsPete
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:32 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess i now need help restoring - i cant find any barrels for sale online new or old... is re-sleeving still a thing? i presume a rebore wont help this as the pins smashed into the ports.

If so who could help? Its only a £900 bike so i dont wanna spend the same rebuilding the head, may be better money as parts

I will take the engine out and rebuild a sI cant find the rest of the pins, likely down the bottom end, none in the exhaust, found one sitting on the entry to the bottom end.. and the round clip holding them in also gone.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:46 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best hope might be a complete used engine, I wonder if other motors could be made to fit.
It's relatively common for bikes to be written off due to frame damage or whatever but engine is unmarked and low mileage.
Older models get harder to find but people store stuff away.
Maybe a second rough old bike could be found to donate this and other parts.
Or cut your losses and run, nothing lasts forever but good experience sorting it out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:05 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just get it re-bored and neaten up/radius out any remaining rough edges on the ports with a burr/file so they don't form a stress riser. Doesn't look like there are any large scores in the liner itself (although it's hard to appreciate how deep that one is from the picture, hopefully more shallow than one of the available oversizes). It's a fairly peaky engine but equally, it's still an air-cooled learner bike, not a KR1S.

People have done far worse to ports on learner 2-strokes with a hand file in a cack-handed attempt to tune them.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:56 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194360458179?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

or maybe..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402785268616?

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:07 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

redeem ouzzer wrote:
I don't believe for second that engine didn't sound like two skeletons fucking in a dustbin before it let go.

Fucking snorted my coffee Laughing

NorthantsPete
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:47 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

that could be a shout as i cant find barrels
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 197 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2