Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Facebook Marketplace.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 09 Sep 2021    Post subject: Facebook Marketplace. Reply with quote

I’ve got some stuff to sell so I thought I’d start off by putting a hedge trimmer on Facebook Marketplace. Listings are free. I immediately got a response from a “Dave David” (no other background available) asking if it’s still available, and then messaged with, “Does it work?” “He” seems to have created a group using the title of my listing as a group name. Seems a bit weird. Have I just opened myself up to a hacker? What are your experiences of Facebook Marketplace?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:52 - 09 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The group chat with the item name is how chat works on Facebook market place.

When someone messages you with a stupid question or a question that could be answered by reading the description, you need to block them rather than replying.

Rain

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:22 - 09 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love FaceBook Market Place. It's a game for playing Knock off from shop or house? Or you get people selling a £3 item for £1 buyer collects. Easier to nip to the shop, Sold with tags is usually shoplifting, then there is the the tools, burglary or stolen from car/van. I love being a Troll for such a place, I know it is frowned upon, but it is fun.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:17 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

All perfectly normal, the "is this still available" thing is one of the standard responses when you click any listing as a first point of contact, and yes it will create a seperate Messenger Chat with that name, but should be hidden away in a sub folder called MARKETPLACE in the Messenger section/app (with the little black Marketplace symbol), all perfeclty legit

The most annoying ones are the ones who will LIKE you listing, and then not even get in contact to see if it is indeed still available

I have sold plenty of stuff locally using it, but you do get plenty on folk mseeing you around, it's par for the course

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marketplace is great but you do get a lot of idiots and time wasters on there. Sold a car the other week and 2 people arranged to come and never showed up and then I had to deal with 20+ people messaging me all at the same time Laughing Things do sell quick on there if priced cheap. I put a welder up for £60 and it was gone within the hour.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I was a bit careful because a friend of mine had her account hacked recently (although I don’t know to what end) and Facebook didn’t seem to care. I’ve responded to the first message.

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sold my old, battered Nissan twin-cab on there recently. It had holes in the chassis so large a child could have climbed through and it was on the point of snapping in two, and I was honest about this in the advert. I expected scrap value only, but put it on for £1,500. Within 20 minutes it was sold and it was gone within an hour. The next time I heard of it was when a NIP for speeding dropped through the door - someone was thrashing it around London without doing the V5 transfer. Pikey twats.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:26 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
The next time I heard of it was when a NIP for speeding dropped through the door - someone was thrashing it around London without doing the V5 transfer. Pikey twats.

Thats because you are supposed to get their detail and do the V5....

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Diggs wrote:
The next time I heard of it was when a NIP for speeding dropped through the door - someone was thrashing it around London without doing the V5 transfer. Pikey twats.

Yep, sellers responsibility, you can even do it online now, and its instantaneous

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:36 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
I sold my old, battered Nissan twin-cab on there recently. It had holes in the chassis so large a child could have climbed through and it was on the point of snapping in two, and I was honest about this in the advert. I expected scrap value only, but put it on for £1,500. Within 20 minutes it was sold and it was gone within an hour. The next time I heard of it was when a NIP for speeding dropped through the door - someone was thrashing it around London without doing the V5 transfer. Pikey twats.

FB will issue a warning and a ban if you use the term pikey in reference to pikeys or things pikey.

Im not at all sure what the punishment/penalty is for twat though (If there's any).

It's the New Law. Social Media and its Brown Shirted STAZI bastirts. Rolling Eyes

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I sent off the logbook.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:39 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sold plenty of stuff without problems. Then again, probably depends on what you're selling. I've sold bookcases, guitar amp cabs, tables etc.. and they've all been bought by decent enough people who all turned up on time etc. etc. but I imagine if you sell high value electronics ('phones, 'cameras etc.) that might be a different story.

I'd never sell a bike (either push or motor) as I don't like the concept a potential thief could say they want to come and take a look, get your address and then know said bike (and possibly others) are at that address. Call me paranoid, but you never know these days and to me it seems like an easy way to find homes with bikes stored at them.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:58 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sold the hedge trimmer to the first responder, Dave David. He collected it just now. Maybe I shouldn’t be so suspicious, it was all good. Had three other enquiries too.

I had it ready in the house though. Don’t want to show the contents of the garage which is just off-site.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
Sold the hedge trimmer to the first responder, Dave David. He collected it just now. Maybe I shouldn’t be so suspicious, it was all good. Had three other enquiries too.

I had it ready in the house though. Don’t want to show the contents of the garage which is just off-site.

Sign of the times though isn't it. I'm still not really sure how much is media driven paranoia and how much is warranted but do the same myself.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

How public does ones FaceBook profile need to be to be successful with Martketplace.

Got a few kids toys I want to sell, but my profile is locked down, only use FB because some sites only operate from it now.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:32 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your profile doesn't need to have anything public for you to use market place successfully. Thumbs Up

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:36 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Your profile doesn't need to have anything public for you to use market place successfully. Thumbs Up

This.
I only really ever use Facebook for the marketplace. I'm one one or two groups of interest but don't have a profile.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:15 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found Marketplace quite successful for local stuff and remember you aren't paying 12% fees to Epal.
Biggest problem I've had is people not turning up - and then after a bit of poking around it turns out that they are 250 miles away and apparently calling to pick the twenty quid item up tomorrow. As a result , if asked 'is it still available?' The response is now 'yes -whereabouts are you?'

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:25 - 10 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 'churn' an incredible amount of 'tat' & junk mixed in with some highly desireable stuff that is probably limited to a very small market.

I used to think that listing anything on eBay was like opening the door to the nuthouse . . . But facebook !

I'm currently listing on facebook a good Suzuki LT80 quad bike that's been sat around waiting for a grandchild that's allowed to use it. You can only appreciate the responses I've had if you fake your own listing & sit back & wait.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:06 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't work out how to use it, so I don't bother.
It always seems full of dodgy things and leery geezers.
Mr. Green

Rob Fzs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:29 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Handy tool once you filter out the twats, ie people that dont read the ad
'00 Aprilia RS50 > '92 Honda CG > '99 Yamaha Fazer > '91 Yamaha RXS > '79 Suzuki X5 > 01' Honda Cg > 07' Honda Cg > 82' Kawasaki Z200 > suzuki gsxr 400 gk73a > honda vfr 400 NC30> Yamaha RD350 YPVS F2 > Kawasaki ZZR 600 D1 > Yamaha TZR 250 2MA >Suzuki TL1000R > Yamaha TDR250 > Honda 929 blade > Suzuki SV1000 > Honda H100
Mod 2 Passed 09/06/2011
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 193 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1