Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Retro Reverse Drive

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Would you like one, and what would your criterior be.
Yes, only if it met my criterior
15%
 15%  [ 3 ]
Probably Not
52%
 52%  [ 10 ]
Not a bloody chance
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 19

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 09:37 - 11 Sep 2021    Post subject: Retro Reverse Drive Reply with quote

I daresay many more bikes may have them in the future, especially electric bikes, I'm pretty sure they can add a circuit in the control panel to handle reverse.

But what about now, would you like one?

I'm pretty sure the diehards will say never, but then they did when electric starts came out.

I find pushing back out of a confined space uphill a struggle, and what often doesn't look much when you go in, is different when you try to push out, especially if the ground is uneven or worse gravel, and you have a few bumps to get over.

Anyway just thought I'd ask.

I'd only have one if:

1. It was fairly sensibly priced.
    2. It was a simple bolt on option.
    3. Detected you were in neutral.
    4. Didn't engage on the tyres in any way.
    5. Had a friction clutch built in.
    6. Had a variable speed knob.

Last edited by GettinBetter on 09:11 - 12 Sep 2021; edited 1 time in total

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 11 Sep 2021    Post subject: Re: Retro Reverse Drive Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
I find pushing back out of a confined space uphill a struggle

This is the only situation when I think a reverse gear would be beneficial really, and it can usually be mitigated with some forward planning (i.e. reverse downhill into the space, so you're facing uphill/forward when leaving). So I just don't think there's a massive need for them.

Makes more sense on really big bikes. Goldwings have had a reverse gear for donkeys years. And I remember my dad telling me you could get the reverse gear fitted to the F6C Valkyrie (which has the Goldwing engine). Beyond that, I think it's going to be pretty much impossible to design a universal fit bolt on reverse for any bike.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:35 - 11 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to think of the bike (might not be a bike, some small vehicle though) that had an electric motor for a reverse Thinking

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:25 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the Goldwing. Uses the starter motor to power the bike backwards. Engine has to be running, in neutral, engage reverse, press starter button and back you go.

A godsend on a bike that size.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:34 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't want to add weight but w/ the other six provisos yeah okay - would help on gravel car parks of which there are a few around here.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:50 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking something along these lines...

Fitted forward of the rear sprocket, initial engagement by a lever up front which swings it from stowed position to down under the chain, then a button on the handlbars (ideally the starter button) turns on the motor & actuator.
The actuator moves the spring centreline to the opposite side of the clamp bracket causing the assembly to rotate and engage the drive gear. As the drive gear rotates it causes the assembly to rotate further forcing the gear to engage more.
Estimated drive gear speed to be in the order of 0.5 to 1.0 RPM.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:41 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No point, I've survived fine without for 23 years. If I physically get the point where I can't manhandle a bike out of a space then I probably should stop riding.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:16 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pointless idea.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:00 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're struggling to push it backward uphill out of a parking space just plan ahead and roll the bike backward into the parking space. Then you can ride out of it, plus there's no fear of it rolling forwards off the stand.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:09 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
.... plus there's no fear of it rolling forwards off the stand.

That's what I needed.. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

As a lifelong manufacturing engineer, everything can be made easier with a tool/device, but one has to be careful of finding problems that don't really exist.

Concept scrapped.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay cause we all want our bikes heavier and more complex Rolling Eyes

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:07 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, because it will just encourage feeble, daft old c**** to buy bikes that are too big and too heavy for them. Like the feeble, daft old c*** who dropped his gigantic BMW in taking it off the centre stand - straight onto my bike, causing significant damage to it. As I said to him at the time, a mobility scooter would have been far more appropriate to his physicality and level of ability.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:35 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

slowasyoulike wrote:
No, because it will just encourage feeble, daft old c**** to buy bikes that are too big and too heavy for them. Like the feeble, daft old c*** who dropped his gigantic BMW in taking it off the centre stand - straight onto my bike, causing significant damage to it. As I said to him at the time, a mobility scooter would have been far more appropriate to his physicality and level of ability.

OOOOOOOhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get you darling.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:23 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

silence feeble old person Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:55 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Sorry if I've touched a nerve there M8.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 21 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd make sense on an electric bike, but only if it was limited to 1mph or so. Would I ever use it? Highly unlikely, I don't think I've ever struggled to push a bike backwards (uphill) more than a few times in my life. I'd rather the "reverse" button be used for a flamethrower or something similar instead.

Pete. wrote:
If you're struggling to push it backward uphill out of a parking space just plan ahead and roll the bike backward into the parking space. Then you can ride out of it, plus there's no fear of it rolling forwards off the stand.

All of this. I never park forwards in a spot anyway (car or motorcycle).

Pretty amazing how many people find it "too hard" to reverse into a spot (esp in a car) but will take more time trying to drive into a tight spot forwards, and then struggle to reverse out with visibility of almost zero.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 189 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1