Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Who actually Does Do Wheel Balancing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 12:01 - 11 Sep 2021    Post subject: Who actually Does Do Wheel Balancing Reply with quote

I want to balance my wheels so looked into the pros & cons and was considering this..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313120265393?hash=item48e76c14b1:g:bg0AAOSwoYZfYM68

That was until I came across this...

https://e-quipfix.co.uk/wheel-balancing-101-static-vs-dynamic-wheel-balancing/

So now I'm thinking about this...
Balancer

Thing is, does every body balance their wheels? or do some not bother?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 11 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I fit my own tyres I don't bother but I might do a rudimentary check it's not seriously heavy on one side with the rear wheel on a rod or front wheel in place.
If it's seated 100% it is unlikely to be far out unless you dislodged any existing weights usually opposite the valve.
At lower (legal) speeds you might not notice much unless it was miles out.

Last edited by doggone on 13:15 - 11 Sep 2021; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:11 - 11 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the first item shown but with a different makers name, probably comes from the same factory. I don't usually balance tyres when I fit them, especially if they have a balance mark on them. Some Avons I was fitting the last few years had no mark at all so I did balance the front wheel after fitting those. Doesn't take long and I have got the wheel off anyway to put the tyre on, so thought I might as well.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 11 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I could go into the intricate details behind wheel balancing, but let’s be honest you’re not interested in sitting in a City & Guilds lecture are you.

Quote:
if the simplicity of the following article annoys you then tough! …. It has been written in this manner for a reason, please refrain from becoming a keyboard warrior and sending emails pointing out some random technicality

Quote:
if you are still here, then big kudos to you for wanting to learn something new (it says a lot about your character)

Quote:
I am sure there will be the purists out there that are spitting feathers over this article for not being scientifically or technically accurate

Umm, yeah, OK. I remember now why I decided to learn to work on my own bike and to replace my own tyres.

Anyway, I don't balance my wheels at all because I don't currently have a bike that could be termed "fast". It seems fine.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:48 - 11 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I had to skip over that crap. I'm only interested in the science, or his version of it. More to the point the up and down centrally was pretty much a no brainer, but the side to side interested me. I used my electric bike for a couple of days last week seeing as my Honda was wheeless, and about 18mph < Laughing when I take my hands off the handlebars it starts to wobble, and very quickly gets too bad to leave, replacing my hands recovers it. Using the theory in the vid, I quicly realised I'd added some reflectors to the spokes at 180 degree intervals and on opposite sides. It didn't cancel out as I first thought, but summed together to make it quite bad.

Bhud wrote:
Anyway, I don't balance my wheels at all because I don't currently have a bike that could be termed "fast". It seems fine.

Fair enough, I was just wondering.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:48 - 11 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always balance wheels.

Much simpler to balance the wheel when the tyre is fitted than having to take the hoowur off to balance it after you found out it needs balanced.

The cost is negligible versus the hassle and phaph of a re-do.

And most tyres will need balancing.
They use natural products and density consistency can cause some out-of-balance. Or out-of-roundness.
The tyre manufacturers even give you a big clue by testing after production and painting part best matched up with the tyre valve. Wink

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:10 - 11 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
...The tyre manufacturers even give you a big clue by testing after production and painting part best matched up with the tyre valve. Wink

Really!!, Shit didn't know that. I'll go and have a look...

UPDATE: can't see anything, what does it look like?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:52 - 11 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red triangle

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 11 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The yellow dot on my Bridgestone marked the lightest side of the tyre, so it is supposed to go next to to the valve. You can see it still needed some weights on the opposite side. All done at the bike shop, not by me. That dot wears off quite quickly.

https://i.postimg.cc/vBTC7bFb/ED5-EA6-CD-BFEF-43-E5-AD51-7457-D53-A1513.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:16 - 11 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, cool.

No triangles but got a yellow 'o' on the back one, so will keep that in mind when fitting.
Too late for the front, which has a red dot, although its about 50mm from the valve.
Thanks for the info guys. Thumbs Up

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:34 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, a yellow dot is a mark suggesting that it should be placed where the tyre valve is located.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:39 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some tyre are marked with two dots.
Different colours.
One mark shows the highest part of the tyre.
And another shows the lightest part.
Some tyres dont have all the marks.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:41 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the first item, before I bought it I supported the spindle of the bike between two chairs to balance.

I always balance, as I do high speeds. Even at 70mph, if the front wheel is 5 to 10g out this will transmit to your hands through the bars and make long journeys less comfortable. You might not notice it on shorter runs. But if you can feel it, your wheel bearings and other components can too.

Much more speed than that, and you can get the bounce of the tyre amplifying the imbalance as a harmonic feedback, push through that and the jack hammer can go away.

I fitted and balanced a front tyre the other day, and it has vibration about 90mph, It'll need to come off and re-checked. This is why tyre shops use better equipment.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:36 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never bother,

But in the case of one bike if I stand on the footrests, and look over the front- the front wheel shifts side to side at least half an inch so i've got bigger problems.. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add, it also helps when you're balancing tyres to check for where the manufacturer marks the light spot with a red dot.

But not all need or have it.

I find what helps the most though, is not to lose any rim protectors as they fall inside the tyre Embarassed

I'd had trouble balancing the front recently, noticed the rim protector had gone missing. Put two and two together eventually, took the sliced up pipe out of the tyre, all good Laughing

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:27 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dots on the tyres are great but only if the fitter pays attention to them, most seems to just chuck the tyre on however they want and hope that the balance machine can sort it out.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If red dots are for light spot I guess if a tyre has any at all, there is usually only one- does the colour of the spot signify anything, or just the presence of the spot being there at all tell you which way to put it?

What is yellow spot for? Heavy side?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:23 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

blurredman wrote:
If red dots are for light spot I guess if a tyre has any at all, there is usually only one- does the colour of the spot signify anything, or just the presence of the spot being there at all tell you which way to put it?

What is yellow spot for? Heavy side?

Car tyre explanation but I imagine the same applies to bike tyres and other brands

https://blobs.continental-tires.com/www8/servlet/blob/554548/e3119edf9831c33103e5a771a0fe5717/download-coloured-dot-markings-data.pdf

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take my loose wheels to a local shop, fitted free if you buy 'em there and balanced, why would you bother?

OGR

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:39 - 29 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
I take my loose wheels to a local shop, fitted free if you buy 'em there and balanced, why would you bother?

OGR

Typical cost of fitting is £20-30 per tyre (maybe a little cheaper for loose wheels), plus any mark up they add on supplying tyres too, means ordering online and fitting yourself can save at least £40. Usually it's £50-60 cheaper to go this route.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 29 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason Michelin do not indicate on the sidewall of any tyre that I have bought from them.So it makes balancing them more important,especially on the R1 front wheel

https://i.postimg.cc/WbwmGLtL/20170401-160527.jpg

I also make an effort to get it right on the Exup

https://i.postimg.cc/tJJTYMS6/2014-11-15-16-36-56.jpg

Back wheels are not so critical,but is also worth checking.Otherwise the rear shock will have more of a problem keeping it in contact with the road surface.

Always have a 'Plan B'

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:51 - 30 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
For some reason Michelin do not indicate on the sidewall of any tyre that I have bought from them.So it makes balancing them more important,especially on the R1 front wheel...

Back wheels are not so critical,but is also worth checking.Otherwise the rear shock will have more of a problem keeping it in contact with the road surface.

How sensitive would you say this method is, less than 5g. ?

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 30 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 5g and 10g weights. I can add or remove 5g and get a different result on where the heavy spot lands.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 201 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1