Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pointless ideas

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:03 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Pointless ideas Reply with quote

With poor old GettinBetters idea of a retro fit reverse getting slated as a pointless idea, lets have a dig into the BCF mind hive and come up with the best pointless ideas that have made it, been proposed or even jokingly suggested.

Any field. Bikes, cars, women's underwear. I'm sure there are some crackers out there people have never heard of and would make great conversation stoppers!

Of course, the Crown Jewel in the biking world has to be that wonderful visor water remover that I'm not sure we are still allowed to mention.

Any others that are up there with that?

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:17 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helicopter ejector seat?
Motorcycle ashtray?
And my personal favourite the motorcycle-sidecar combination, cunningly combining the lack of speed and manoeuvrability
of a three wheeled car with the exposure to the weather and increased chance of life loss in an accident of the motorcycle.

Last edited by grr666 on 16:20 - 12 Sep 2021; edited 3 times in total

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:17 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw an article in MCN about a guy who wants to build locking vending machine type things that you can lock your front wheel to. No council will stump up for the installation cost, and they'll be vandalised before you can say 'vandalised'. Also, places like Westfield have free lockers that you can lock your bike to with your own lock, that are so simple they won't break and don't cost the rider anything.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:46 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Re: Pointless ideas Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
With poor old GettinBetters idea of a retro fit reverse getting slated as a pointless idea....

Ah, I didn't mention that I've just added a 'stand lock' to the list of requisites, for the reverse drive, so that I can still park downhill Laughing

Oh, and here's a visor wiper deluxe version Idea

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:12 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wiper for visors, we could crowd fund it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toilet roll holder?
You never know when you'll need a bit of tissue

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:42 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
Toilet roll holder?
You never know when you'll need a bit of tissue

I've already got one, it's called a pannier Laughing

virus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 12 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Helicopter ejector seat?

The general plan with a heli is to not need to evict yourself from it until it has landed, that said heli ejector seats do exist, some Russian military helis for example do side eject or blow the rotors then eject upwards into the now clean air that wont turn you into salami. Laughing
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:02 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.underwearexpert.com/blog/2012/09/horizontal-fly/

/ thread

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:02 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glass hammers?
16” front wheels on a motorbike!

My most pointless idea was thinking that my missus wouldn’t start piling up crap in my new shed Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes .

droog
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:06 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

HONDA DN-01?

Tank tops? Jumpers with no arms? WTF?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

virus wrote:
grr666 wrote:
Helicopter ejector seat?

, some Russian military helis for example do side eject or blow the rotors then eject upwards into the now clean air that wont turn you into salami. Laughing

Yeh???? Hmmm?? I think I’ll give that a miss? Shocked

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:19 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pet hate is electric handbrakes in cars. Just what was wrong with the old lever type?

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
My pet hate is electric handbrakes in cars. Just what was wrong with the old lever type?

i have one in my current car. hate the thing!
i hate the computer screen in the middle of the dashboard too.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:37 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Because you could fix it if it went wrong, an electronic one will HAVE to be repaired at a dealership (money).

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:40 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

Because you could fix it if it went wrong, an electronic one will HAVE to be repaired at a dealership (money).

Like the original Audi A2, you couldn't even open the bonnet without taking it back to the dealers, all you could do is flip the front grill down to refill the washer fluid and top up the coolant and oil

And yes, electronic handbreaks are the work of the devil, horrible things, they don't activate fast enough, and just one more thing to worry about when buying a 2nd hand car, all for the sake of adding an extra cup holder

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:05 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they never fukkin release the first time you hit the button. Always end up trying to drive off with it still on. Evil or Very Mad

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:35 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

Like the original Audi A2, you couldn't even open the bonnet without taking it back to the dealers, all you could do is flip the front grill down to refill the washer fluid and top up the coolant and oil

You're kidding! That's really taking the piss. Laughing

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:59 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

Loads of cars are like that, lots of mid engined stuff, Smart, Mid Engined vans and people carriers (Toyota Space Cruiser for example) and my very own 911. It does have a 'bonnet' as such, but you can't see anything on the engine except for the very end of the heads and all the fluid filling points. It does, however, have a manual handbrake, manual gearbox and no speed limiter, stop start, lane keep assist or anything like that.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:07 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah but the engines on most cars can be accessed without tools and removed with quite basic tools.

Tha A2 was a front engined front wheel drive car....

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:14 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Yeah but the engines on most cars can be accessed without tools and removed with quite basic tools.

Tha A2 was a front engined front wheel drive car....

You do have a valid point, but the A2 is dumpy and I reckon the engine is more under the dash/floor than it is under the 'bonnet' In fact I seem to recall that the Mercedes A class did that first, and the A2 came out afterwards.

Not saying it's great of course, but I work on my bikes and I can count on fingers of one hand the times I've needed to do work under the bonnet on my BMW 1 series in the last ten years. And I think only one of those things was on the engine (replacing a VANOS solenoid).

Some TVRs had sealed bonnets which is ironic considering they are most certainly front engined cars with long bonnets and also are extraordinarily likely to need engine work during their lifetime!! Laughing

Nope.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

I'm not sure what you've read, but you just pop the grill, twist two knobs, and the bonnet lifts off. No dealer, or even tools, required.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:29 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:

I'm not sure what you've read, but you just pop the grill, twist two knobs, and the bonnet lifts off. No dealer, or even tools, required.

Well, the motoroing press for a starters, but yes, according to Wikipedia, it is able to be opened at home (my bad), but that is certanly not how it was reported at the time of its release

Quote:
The bonnet was widely rumoured to be sealed – Car and Driver wrote: "...feature of the A2 that may foretell the future: the sealed hood". Actually, the bonnet is easily removed, being held in place by two twist-lock catches. The bonnet, weighing 8 kg, then comes away from the car altogether, unlike the usual hinged flip-up arrangement on most other cars. Due to the service hatch, the bonnet does not need to be removed frequently for access to the engine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_A2
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 193 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1