Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

ER6-F - Questions on the replacing Flywheel/ Magneto/ Rotor

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: ER6-F - Questions on the replacing Flywheel/ Magneto/ Rotor Reply with quote

QUESTIONS AND GENERAL NOOBERY IN POST FURTHER DOWN

Hi all,

Trying to determine whether I need to actually change the flywheel on my ER6-F. Visually it looks in > 95% condition. A small skliff of the magnet surface was ablated off from the looks of it, but since the magnet runs deep in the rotor, I would guess 99.99% of the magnets volume remains. Would it be ok just to smooth it up again using some sandpaper and clean it off?

Someone mentioned checking the run-out on the rotor to see if it needs placed. Is there a way to measure it without removing the rotor from the bike? If I do have to take it off the bike, would I just be putting it in my lathe and using an indicator gauge to measure the run-out?

Finally, what is an acceptable run-out?

Thanks all!

Last edited by Fat Angry Scotsman on 14:22 - 13 Sep 2021; edited 3 times in total

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would measure it in situ, so put it in gear, rotate the rear wheel on the centre stand or paddock stand.

The runout would need a dial test indicator, just brushing the part to be measured. Can't help you with the required tolerances.

Generally if you can feel any axial or radial play in the system, that would indicate a bearing needs to be replaced, or something has broken.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:45 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hong Kong Phooey wrote:
You would measure it in situ, so put it in gear, rotate the rear wheel on the centre stand or paddock stand.

The runout would need a dial test indicator, just brushing the part to be measured. Can't help you with the required tolerances.

Generally if you can feel any axial or radial play in the system, that would indicate a bearing needs to be replaced, or something has broken.

Thanks, I will take the gauge and a magnetic clamp/arm home with me tonight and check it. I saw a flywheel on eBay for £40 with free P&P, if the tool required to pull the existing one off is cheap I might just replace it anyway given that I will be replacing everything else around it.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK to update the thread, I decided to just go ahead and buy the used rotor from eBay, it should turn up at the end of the month with all the other parts needed for the 100% rebuild.

I was able to get everything that was on my schedule in the other thread for £312.55, admittedly most parts are used with the exception of most of the hardware (some hardware was included in certain parts - the generator cover I bought comes with all hardware, the sprocket cover comes with the screws for it, etc, etc). The only thing I have not bought yet is an oil filter and 4 litres of oil so I can do that at the same time.

So I am looking for a tool to pull the flywheel off, but do I need anything special to put the replacement one on the bike? The one I noticed online, is this the right one? Does anyone know of any good write-ups/ tutorials on how to do it?

https://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/workshop__and__tools/motocross_tools/motocross_engine_tools/motion_pro_flywheel_extractor_puller_tool_-_m35x1.5_rh_internal_thread?gclid=CjwKCAjw7fuJBhBdEiwA2lLMYRY4XhOmNdcSb1mljY51mWyCHJe9NMyPHgEoKSEuRraOsrHcmniEgBoCwMwQAvD_BwE

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:25 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No special tools to put one back on, just watch out that you don't damage any windruff key on it.

Don't know whether it has one but there will be a mechanism to keep the rotor still in relation to the crank's rotation.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:43 - 13 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Don't know whether it has one but there will be a mechanism to keep the rotor still in relation to the crank's rotation.

I don't know if it helps, but here are the parts diagrams for the rotor assembly:

GENERATOR ASSEMBLY:
https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/main/img/assemblies/large/f45dec1b3115770a95e56d13aaf73b3b.png?6

STARTER MOTOR ASSEMBLY:
https://www.fowlersparts.co.uk/main/img/assemblies/large/ad58d9e18bb04cf382df33cdcc11ef24.png?6

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 15 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update on this, I measured the run-out on the rotor is was within +/- 0.5mm when measuring at the centre of the rotor, when I moved to the edge it was hard getting a good reading because of the surface smoothness at the part where the bike hit the ground.

It was a bit of a mute point as I already bought a used rotor on eBay, it was more for curiosity sake.

I've been watching videos on YouTube of people taking off various rotors from different motorcycles and it seems to literally be a case of using a special tool to take it off, it just pulls straight off and replacing it is a case of aligning the new part so that the key recesses match up and you put the key back in position and push it on.

I guess I will just need to hammer it on with a rubber mallet and then use the retaining bolt to snug it back down? Any need to Loctite it or anything?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 15 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:

I guess I will just need to hammer it on with a rubber mallet and then use the retaining bolt to snug it back down? Any need to Loctite it or anything?

Yes. No - just use the correct torque setting.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 15 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

I can't find the correct torque setting for it, I was thinking of just doing it as tight as possible with the long breaker bar since I don't think I will ever be doing this again on a 12 year old bike.

I will go hunting for the correct torque again now though.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 15 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

I can't find the correct torque setting for it, I was thinking of just doing it as tight as possible with the long breaker bar since I don't think I will ever be doing this again on a 12 year old bike.

I will go hunting for the correct torque again now though.

Don't go mad with it - strip the thread and you're in deep trouble. I'm guessing it's on a tapered shaft so it needn't be too tight.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 15 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a bit of a mute point

Moot.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/moot-point/

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:09 - 15 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:

It was a bit of a mute point

Moot.

https://www.grammarly.com/blog/moot-point/

Fuck Crying or Very sad

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:42 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of just doing it as tight as possible with the long breaker bar.

Don't do that. Why it even crossed your mind is dangerous. Look at the current one and if you happen to have a torque wrench, just set it low and work up till it no longer clicks, set that as the torque for doing up the next one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:07 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I was thinking of just doing it as tight as possible with the long breaker bar.

Don't do that. Why it even crossed your mind is dangerous. Look at the current one and if you happen to have a torque wrench, just set it low and work up till it no longer clicks, set that as the torque for doing up the next one.

Thanks for the advice, I know the correct torque settings for the bolts holding on the generator cover as well as the ones that retain the stator now.

I'll do what you recommended taking the rotor retention bolt off. It will take away the risk, I feel like a dolt for not thinking of it myself.

Regarding my initial idea, I thought it would take incredible torque to strip the thread as the bolt is M12 x 45 so assuming it's a Grade 8.8 bolt or equivalent it would take roughly 608 kN of force to strip out the thread (roughly 808 Nm) with a thread engagement of 45mm and 40% reduction due to lubricity of the oil.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/torque-lubrication-effects-d_1693.html

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need some more advice, I was able to find a service manual here:

https://mototh.com/files/kawasaki/Ninja-650R/Kawasaki-Ninja-650R-Service-Manual-EN.pdf

The procedure is noted on pages 520 through 522.

Do I need that big holder tool? It's insanely expensive online. Is there another option?

Also I noted that it says the puller tool is "Special Tool - Flywheel Puller Assembly, M38 × 1.5/M35 × 1.5: 57001-1405", so will the tool that I bought work? It's an M35 x 1.5 RH tool.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to stave off buying the rotor holder 57001-1658
by using a strap wrench on the outer surface of the rotor
I suspect many of us have devised impromptu and ad hoc versions of this
tool in similar situations
You cant/shouldn't use a 3 legged puller because of the toothed starter gear wheel inboard of the rotor
although I have seen people try and get away with it, its not recommended practise.

I cant any pics but a wee scuff on the rotor would not have me rushing to change it, only say worn sprag clutch rollers would have me pulling the rotor off unless it's off axis
If it aint broke.........

M38 is the inside thread for the rotor while M35 is bolt size that works against it to draw it off the taper where a WOODRUFF key holds it in position.

(or is it Woodbine key? Windrush key?)

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:
I cant any pics but a wee scuff on the rotor would not have me rushing to change it, only say worn sprag clutch rollers would have me pulling the rotor off unless it's off axis
If it aint broke.........

M38 is the inside thread for the rotor while M35 is bolt size that works against it to draw it off the taper where a WOODRUFF key holds it in position.

(or is it Woodbine key? Windrush key?)

Bollocks to it, I am going to have a hard look again at the rotor that's still on it and if I can get away with keeping it on then I will and punt the replacement rotor back on ebay and return the tool.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:17 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the early 90's, kawasaki had big problems with magnets coming off rotors then getting chewed up and spreading magnetic swarf throughout the engine.

If you're proposing to re-use the old one, bear this in mind. If it's not immediately obvious, magnetic swarf circulating in your engine is a total disaster. Even with a full strip-down, it's near impossible to remove all of it. I seem to recall reading in one of your posts you had damaged one of the magnets anyway?

In terms of locking the rotor to undo the bolt without a holding tool, a trick I use is to insert a piece of folded denim between the teeth of the primary drive sprockets (or chain and sprocket if it has a primary drive chain). Note there is a risk you could damage the teeth and it'll put a fair bit of force on the bearing seats but I've never done it yet.

The really easy way is using an impact wrench to remove it.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears to be a quite common system there
Basically you've got 3 thread sizes involved.
The holding bolt of say M25/M28? at a guess to hold the rotor on the shaft/taper
M38 cut inside the rotor body which in normal use does nothing

Once the holding bolt is removed
The M38 outer removal tool screws in to the rotor until it butts up against the shaft.
then the M35 runs inside the tool until it too meets the shaft
its diameter too big to damage the inner threads
and when tightened up jacks against the rotor body and shaft/taper
(often assisted by a whack wiv a nammer)

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I remove a rotor I want to use again
I have 2 clean carrier/freezer bags ready to immediately drop the rotor into and seal up.
Left on the floor those feckers will pick up any ferro magnetic debris and dust within a 50 mile radius it seems and getting them clean is almost impossible.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:45 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
In the early 90's, kawasaki had big problems with magnets coming off rotors then getting chewed up and spreading magnetic swarf throughout the engine.

If you're proposing to re-use the old one, bear this in mind. If it's not immediately obvious, magnetic swarf circulating in your engine is a total disaster. Even with a full strip-down, it's near impossible to remove all of it. I seem to recall reading in one of your posts you had damaged one of the magnets anyway?

In terms of locking the rotor to undo the bolt without a holding tool, a trick I use is to insert a piece of folded denim between the teeth of the primary drive sprockets (or chain and sprocket if it has a primary drive chain). Note there is a risk you could damage the teeth and it'll put a fair bit of force on the bearing seats but I've never done it yet.

The really easy way is using an impact wrench to remove it.

OK, I will clean up the rotor tonight with a rag and take better pictures then you guys can tell me if it's OK to use or if I should just buy the other tool and get the replacement rotor in it.

I have this impact wrench, do I just need to jam some denim in the gears and rattle it out with the wrench?

https://www.dewalt.co.uk/products/dcf899n-xj--18v-xr-brushless-high-torque-1-2-impact-wrench-bare-unit

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:21 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this impact wrench, do I just need to jam some denim in the gears and rattle it out with the wrench?

https://www.dewalt.co.uk/products/dcf899n-xj--18v-xr-brushless-high-torque-1-2-impact-wrench-bare-unit

With that, it'll probably just rattle off without locking anything due to the inertia in the crank/flywheel. Sometimes adding a little more resistance with a gloved hand helps it along. Remember if it's in gear and you rotate the crank, the bike will roll forwards off its stand!

One trick I've used before is to mark the position of the bolt head in relation to the key (file a small score on it level with the key) before removal then tighten it back to the same position when re-fitting. This should achieve the same stretch on the bolt providing you're not a full rotation out. I did that for the huge 48mm nut that holds the rear axle on my VFR because I don't have a torque wrench that goes up to 140ft/lb.

Oh yeah, check which direction the bolt is done up. The sometimes use reverse threads to preven precession.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:52 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

a case of aligning the new part so that the key recesses match up and you put the key back in position and push it on.

Push and hammer are rather different- just lightly offer the flywheel up to the crank- visually aligning the key way slot with the key in the flywheel. As you engage the slot in the key , the flywheel will slot into place and fit very snugly ( unless you've knocked the key out of its slot) I use the word snug because the flywheel will locate on the taper and sit there, it just feels right , the taper holding in alignment. The nut there just to lock it in place , rather than do any of the holding. No hammers ( rubber or otherwise) please.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:45 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put her back together yesterday and she once again lives ... well, maybe.

The hardest part of the whole job was getting the bolts that hold the clutch mechanism to the back of the rotor off the rotor. I had to use the same screws, coupling, washer and one-way bearing as was on the old rotor.

I just couldn't get a grip on the rotor body to get enough torque on the bolts by hand. The way I did it was to put the puller tool back on the main thread of the rotor and then a big set of gland clamps on the flat spots of the puller and just turn them in opposite directions.

Now that I have 20/20 hindsight I would have just clamped the rotor to a workbench Rolling Eyes

Anyway I got it all back together, I ripped the first cover gasket I tried to put on but luckily I had a spare.

I took her out a spin, some town streets then onto the dual carriageway and she was riding nice for about 20 miles. You could tell there was a bend in the handlebar though.

Then last night I took her to fill the tank and on the way back at a mini-roundabout I took a very hard right and leaned round and I heard a horrible grinding noise coming from the bike and a slight shake. It didn't sound like it was coming from the alternator though it sounded as if it was coming from the right hand side of the bike.

Guess when it stops raining sometime this week I am draining the oil back out of her, buying a new gasket and opening her up for a look inside to make sure Crying or Very sad

https://i.imgur.com/McstwWo.jpeg

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you just touch a peg down or part of the exhaust?

Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 204 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2