Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Saddlebags, Topboxes and Trailers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:43 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Saddlebags, Topboxes and Trailers Reply with quote

I want my bike to tick all the boxes, but most of all I want to be able to carry all the day to day stuff I need, plus extra capacity to carry extra stuff for the occassional trip to god knows where, on a whim.

My 125 had saddle bags and a large top box which made shopping a breeze, and I find myself longing for the same on my latest bike.

What do you guys use to make your bike more useful, or do you just have a blip about with no luggage, or do you bungee everything to the back when you need to.

I'd love to see some trailer options.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:47 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I need to carry anything more than a laptop then I just use my car.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Re: Saddlebags, Topboxes and Trailers Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:
I want my bike to tick all the boxes, but most of all I want to be able to carry all the day to day stuff I need, plus extra capacity to carry extra stuff for the occassional trip to god knows where, on a whim.

My 125 had saddle bags and a large top box which made shopping a breeze, and I find myself longing for the same on my latest bike.

What do you guys use to make your bike more useful, or do you just have a blip about with no luggage, or do you bungee everything to the back when you need to.

I'd love to see some trailer options.

Top box racks for my 125 were not a thing until recently, so I am getting a top box for it just to make it more useful. It's a 125 so it was never a sporty bike and I use it for it's utility.

The Kwak I bought already came with a top box, I just bought a bigger top box that can be removed by unlocking from its baseplate for the times I am just going out on a blast.

I never need to carry that much on the bike anyway, anything bigger than what a top box can handle and I will just use my car instead.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

For years I just used a backpack most of the time, and bungee'd everything on for trips. But the VFR800 came with a topbox and I'm sold on them now, even if it's just for keeping random things (disk lock, couple of bungees, sidestand puck, visor wipes) and to have somewhere to stick your lid when you go in the shops.

Panniers tend to be a bit less useful generally, they increase the width of the bike, and space in them is limited and usually an awkward shape (though there are exceptions).

A trailer is just going to be a massive pain though, both to fit and set up, and to use. If I needed a trailer I'd take the car.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:18 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I had a trailer on my 1500 Goldwing trike Embarassed Very common with the Goldwing brigade with both solo bikes and trikes.

Wifie loved it. She could take her portable makeup box when we went on rallys and I could get lots and lots of beer in it. Thumbs Up

Edited to add a photo, the only one I can find. It;s the white trailer just behind the trike. Obviously I was looked down on by other Goldwing owners as it wasn't colour matched. Crying or Very sad

https://i.postimg.cc/hPJVHPbR/P1160011.jpg

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:22 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a sports rack, throwover panniers and I strap big drybags to the pillion seat and rack over the top of the panniers. My soft panniers are narrower than the bars so know if the bars fit through, so will the rest of the bike. Tank bags are convenient too for everyday stuff but I don't really like them, not sure why.

Trailers are a double edged sword. They fuck up the handling. You can get monowheel trailers which tend to track with the bike better but attention needs to be paid to where they are mounted or they'll lift or compress the back end under braking. They are a bastard to park, monowheel ones in particular have a lot of trail and are nearly impossible to back-up without jacknifing. They never hold as much stuff as you think they will.

That said, a magna is a heavy beast so shouldn't struggle too much with a trailer.

Lomo are doing waterproof throwovers for £50.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:07 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this:https://www.bikechatforums.com/files/topbox_112.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use throw-over panniers. Then I had a loan bike with a topbox and it was awesome, then got a bike that came with factory panniers. Added a topbox - all three together will swallow all of my camping kit including food, clothes and everything I need. Keeps it all dry and secure too.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:40 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Hows that attached MarJay?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:44 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
MarJay wrote:

Hows that attached MarJay?

I bought a top box with plate and a spare pillion seat off ebay. I then drilled 4 holes in the pillion seat and put long steel bolts through the plate and through the seat. 3 of the bolts go down from the plate through the seat and one comes up through the bottom of the seat to the plate due to clearance issues. Seeing as I still have the original pillion seat, I just swap the whole seat when I don't want to use the top box.

The strength of the seat mounts concerns me a bit, so I ran a couple of webbing straps under the rear subframe, one short one over the top box mounting plate, and one long one with quick release clips to go over the box itself. It seems secure so far, although I've not yet carried my whole work bag in it, nor gone at any particularly high speed, but I have done 70+ with a little bit of weight in it and it seems secure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:10 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I did this:

And made your bike into an SUV. Laughing

https://i.imgur.com/TzFgrLU.png

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small rack instead of pillion pad. Use either Swagman throwovers, or topbox.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=104374

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=101823

Just added Givi Monorack & plate to the ER5. Have a 30L and 47L topbox I can swap between if needed, but in reality the 47L stays on the bike.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:59 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Small rack instead of pillion pad. Use either Swagman throwovers, or topbox.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=104374

https://www.bikechatforums.com/download.php?id=101823

Just added Givi Monorack & plate to the ER5. Have a 30L and 47L topbox I can swap between if needed, but in reality the 47L stays on the bike.
Every time I see a wicker picnic type basket at a boot sale I immediately say to myself, ahh, perfect top box for a very old or classic looking bike. You could keep food in it OR three pigeons, one to send with a message to the RAC that you have broken down, one to send when they are taking longer than they should and one to eat if they really are late.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

40 year old project bikes are full of surprises, so I never go anywhere without a basic set of tools in case of emergency. I also have a recovery policy, of course, but if all I need is a screwdriver or something then I don't want to spend the rest of my day hanging around waiting for a flatbed.

I carry them in this:

https://i.ibb.co/CPY4Kq8/toolbag.png

I got this from a random Ebay seller. If you see it for sale, I do recommend it. Surprisingly cavernous... Not great but not bad quality. I carry this stuff in it, and it has room for more - much more.

https://i.ibb.co/s2crkyR/tools.png

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:20 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a proper kick in the nads just.because of that adjustable nut ruiner.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:28 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true. Nut ruiner is an appropriate name. In my defence, it's just for emergency use. I have a full socket set for working on bikes at home.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:51 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
I have a full socket set for working on bikes at home.

No you don't....

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice collection. I suppose everyone collects/hoards something. Did you get those second-hand at a car boot sale, because I'm sure an engineer like you wouldn't let his tools get so rusty. Wink

By full socket set I mean all the socket sizes (just for hex nuts and bolts, and metric only) I need, and more. And yes, I do have one. It would have been kind of hard to complete 2 project bikes this year alone (and have sold one) if all I had to use was an adjustable plumbers wrench from Wilko. In fact, that would be quite an achievement, so thanks for the compliment.

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:09 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve got a topbox on my Er6 it’s dead useful but looks cack.

I’d like a nice bike, but the topbox is so useful and I wouldn’t want to ruin the look of a nice bike with one.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used to do all that carry on camping shit
I'd often go off loaded up like this

Rally mode:

https://imgur.com/EpHqlO2.jpg

Local mode for local people:

https://imgur.com/GJDeAjh.jpg

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:28 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
, because I'm sure an engineer like you wouldn't let his tools get so rusty.

I do accountancy btw, not engineering.

The rusty stuff I inherited from my father and I've not tried any of it to see if it's any good apart from the surface rust on the hex set which are mine and solid.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:02 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are a thing for motorcycle toolkits....

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:01 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fair point. However, my recommendation only goes as far as the bag. It's a pretty good little bag.

The bike is pretty well sorted, and I don't expect to do anything serious with that wrench - just would rather have it available than not. It wouldn't be too bad as a means of adjusting/tightening mirrors (mine aren't precious) or removing sparkplugs without carrying a spark plug socket though.

I bought that tyre weld canister after having read your review. I do have a set of open-ended spanners but I just carry that 12mm one there because so many nuts are 12mm. Same goes for the Allen keys - those are the only sizes used on the bike.

The bike was a total junker and it certainly didn't look like that when I got it. I did a number of non-standard things to it to get it to work, and I'm hoping I won't need to carry out any roadside repairs.

I remember the days when lawyers used to buy Mont Blancs as a way of conveying professionalism. If you're seen to use a Mont Blanc, then the things you write or say are more weighty, serious and professional, went the reasoning. By implication, conversely, if you use a biro then you don't know how to write? Whatever, but I just get the same vibe of "Bahco not Wilko" from engineers, and I tend to ignore it. I mean, Bahco is probably overkill for a hobbyist although a semi-decent CV set of sockets isn't. I put that thing back on the road with my socket set and I keep an adjustable wrench for emergencies, and I just don't feel that connected to the bike/engineering tradition to agree 100% that it's such a bad idea. I mean, it might be, and I'll continue to learn what I can, but will make my own evaluations as I go.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:37 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted that spanner because I think you should carry enough tools to remove either wheel or at least adjust your chain. Then if you get an unrepairable puncture, you stand a chance of getting a lift to a tyre place with the wheel. That spanner does the front and rear wheel nuts of a lot of japanese bikes

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Bahco adjustable spanner somewhere
and it's definitely handy at times
But
There are situations where they are a bad choice and can make things go bad.
Usually on smaller head sizes and high torque
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 193 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2