Saddlebags, Topboxes and Trailers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty cool.

To remove a wheel, I usually use this thing on the nut, and a socket on the other end of the axle:

https://i.ibb.co/PmmS10H/adjustable.png

I suppose I should add this to my tool bag. It's very compact, and it undoes axle nuts easily. Strong enough to use as a drift, too.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:22 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you need to carry kit on your bike to remove a wheel? Do you carry a spare?

(In before Stinkwheel and cause Enfield....)

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Why would you need to carry kit on your bike to remove a wheel?

Easier to hitch a lift if you're just carrying a wheel Smile
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:41 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I posted that spanner because I think you should carry enough tools to remove either wheel or at least adjust your chain. Then if you get an unrepairable puncture, you stand a chance of getting a lift to a tyre place with the wheel. That spanner does the front and rear wheel nuts of a lot of japanese bikes

Wot he said.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:12 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

In my experience, if you are walking down the road carrying a motorcycle wheel, someone will invariably stop and give you a lift in a very short period of time. I've been there 3 times and never walked more than half a mile.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:53 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
These are a thing for motorcycle toolkits....

Hmmm, I feel like I'm having a Dragon's Den moment.

Today I used a 22mm and 27mm socket to remove my CBR6 rear wheel to put a new tyre on. The 27mm is the nut and 22mm is the opposite end of the bolt.

Turn the 27mm nut and the 22mm bolt spins too. Turn the 22mm bolt and the nut stays solid to the shaft. Honda included 22mm and 27mm spanner in their tool kit separately for this reason as you need to put a little resistance on the opposite end. Maybe if you kept kicking on it you'd eventually get it off but that negates having them both on the same tool. And for that reason, aahm oot.

The other combi spanners like 8mm & 10mm, 12mm & 14mm are nice space savers though, so I'll offer you treefiddy for 125% of the company, final offer.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:21 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The Shaggy D.A. wrote:

In my experience, if you are walking down the road carrying a motorcycle wheel, someone will invariably stop and give you a lift in a very short period of time. I've been there 3 times and never walked more than half a mile.

OMG!! You'd leave your bike on the side of the road? When you come back you'll need more than a wheel.....or am I being too much of a pessimist?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:36 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:

OMG!! You'd leave your bike on the side of the road? When you come back you'll need more than a wheel.....or am I being too much of a pessimist?

You're being too much of a pessimist. Only left it at the side of the road once. Other two times I asked someone nicely if I could leave it in their yard. They even made me a cup of tea.

I quite regularly park my bike places in the full expectation it will be there when I come back.

Most people aren't dicks, it's just the dicks stand out more.

GettinBetter
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:17 - 19 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
... Other two times I asked someone nicely if I could leave it in their yard. They even made me a cup of tea...

On the one occassion I ran out of fuel, I did just that. I explained my predicament and they very kindly agreed. Didn't get a brew though.

I agree most people aren't dicks, but wouldn't it fuck your day up if you came to nothing to fit your lovely fixed wheel on.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:25 - 19 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

GettinBetter wrote:

I agree most people aren't dicks, but wouldn't it fuck your day up if you came to nothing to fit your lovely fixed wheel on.

Same way as if I came back with a bag of shopping and had nothing to load it on...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 191 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2