Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

2 stroke twin electronic ignition system

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

andyday271
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:29 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: 2 stroke twin electronic ignition system Reply with quote

Hi All, Newly signed up hoping for a little help. I have a73/74 Gt250 barn find project which I aim to club race, I have stripped completely as engine was seized and rusted after being left in a shed for 20 years, I have re-built the engine and gearbox and modified it to run on pre-mix removed oil pump and kick start baffled pre-charging chamber blocked off all oil ways in caseings - I'm looking for help with the ignition system looking to get electronic poss cdi or Ecu has anyone made this mod on a 2 Stroke twin any ideas welcomed, Many thanks Andy.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:33 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually very simple because they don't have an advance curve. Two main types. One of them replaces the points with a pickup that you dial in the timing on. Generally a trigger that you fit in polace of the points cam and a hall effect sensor that produces the spark in response to the trigger.

The other sort is integrated and replaces the whole charging system with the ignition integrated into it.

You usually need a kit specific to your bike unless you're good at fabricating the bracketry to attach the pickup and trigger.

I have experience of vape systems, these are very good. High output generator and integrated points. Looks like they make one for your bike. Not cheap.
https://www.vape.eu/suzuki

EDIT: Just noticed you're racing it, so no charging necessary, the race ones are a bit cheaper because they are spark only. Elextrex also do a race system for them.
https://www.electrexworld.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=gt250&PN=STK%2d250%2ehtml#SID=942

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:55 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Zeeltronic might be worth a look, you can map it and they are well regarded.

When you say you've blocked off the oil ways in the casings... is that a good idea? I personally would rather run a pump than premix unless I REALLY knew what I was doing too... if you can get the fuelling right with premix then that's OK... but it's not straightforward as premix will make the fuelling a bit lean so you need larger jets to accomodate the fuel AND the oil.. and I'd be concerned that the oilways in the crankcase target specific parts in the bottom end. This might be nothing but I have no idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:13 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty sure Blau races a 350 one.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 14:33 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
I'd be concerned that the oilways in the crankcase target specific parts in the bottom end. This might be nothing but I have no idea.

This is a good point, don't suzuki use sleeved cranks on some models? So the main bearings are directly oiled?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 14 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
MarJay wrote:
I'd be concerned that the oilways in the crankcase target specific parts in the bottom end. This might be nothing but I have no idea.

This is a good point, don't suzuki use sleeved cranks on some models? So the main bearings are directly oiled?

Correct both. You can't run a GT250 on Premix as there's direct feeds to the crank bearings..

It might last one race though Wink

WRT ignition I read one guy who had made his own stator plate to mount the bits form a fiat 500 pointless Hall-effect system - didn't look that tricky and only about 30-40 quid

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:13 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can’t run any Suzuki 250 twin pre X7 on premix without a lot of modification to both the cases and crank webs to encourage intake charge to flow to the main bearings. If you’ve just removed the pump and blanked off the lines expect frequent crank failure.

As regards ignition, it’s not 1973 anymore, you really want a programmable curve to make a tuned engine perform properly.

andyday271
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:59 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Gt250 race mods Reply with quote

Many thanks to everyone for the views and advice, anyone who has raced one of these any more information will be helpful, my engine number is GT250 28687 can anyone tell me what year it is from?

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Re: Gt250 race mods Reply with quote

andyday271 wrote:
Many thanks to everyone for the views and advice, anyone who has raced one of these any more information will be helpful, my engine number is GT250 28687 can anyone tell me what year it is from?

Hey guess what happens if you google 'gt250 engine number year' ?

https://www.ozebook.com/compendium/suzi/engine-nos/page1.gif

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 190 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1