Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Beginner Track Advice

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

MattE
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 01:18 - 25 Aug 2021    Post subject: Beginner Track Advice Reply with quote

Been riding on road 4 years now and I've ended up buying a track bike off a friend. Always wanted to ride on a track but I've no idea where to really even start, if anyone could give some pointers or recommendations it would be much appreciated. Track bike I have is a 1999 Kawasaki zx6r (shown in picture). Just want to know how everyone else started out and what I would need to do to get into it myself. I've passed an A2 license and I am located in the Buckinghamshire area so nearly track is probably Silverstone.

t121anf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 25 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start here - https://www.silverstone.co.uk/track-days/bike-track-days

Just book it, turn up, ride, go home.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:15 - 25 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad luck, Silverstone is super boring.

Personally I'd go somewhere like Snetterton for my first trackday. It's more fun than Silverstone but it's also easier to learn.

Make sure the bike is in a good state. You want working brakes, decent recent tyres in good condition at the right pressures and you want everything done up, no leaks, decent chain, sprockets etc etc.

You'll need a way of getting the bike to the track. Either a van or a trailer. That bike (I'd guess) is not road legal.

Don't overthink what to take except the bike and protective gear. You'll see people with all the tools, tyre warmers, awnings, gazebos, generator etc. You don't need any of that really. Just maybe a couple of screwdrivers, a fairly meagre socket set and a jerry can of petrol if you want. Back in the old days we used to ride to the track, ride around and ride home so none of it is a big deal.

Book a normal trackday in novice group, read the bumf they send you and just go and do it. Listen to the tannoy announcements and go out on circuit when directed. You'll generally form up in two queues in the pitlane, which you normally access by going through the garages at Snetterton.

Then, just relax and ride. If people are faster than you ignore it unless they are just a touch faster than you, and then try to see if you can keep up but don't have any expectations about your speed. Look at the instructors and how they do it, and if you think you need it ask for instruction on one of the later sessions in the morning or an afternoon session.

There are loads of threads on here existing about what to do on your first trackday, but the key thing is to have fun. If you can, go with someone who has done a trackday before but it's not essential. Most of the people doing trackdays who aren't in the fast group are very nice friendly people who will help out and chat between sessions. A lot of fast boys think they are racing these days, with £20k superbikes, all the gear and a race face... it's sad in a way because having fun is what it's all about.

Here's the FAQ from the sticky in this very forum. It's an old thread, but by and large still valid.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=57514
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:17 - 25 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah and MSV circuits won't let people on A2 ride... So that's Donnington, Snetterton, Cadwell, Bedford Oulton and Brands Hatch... That might put you out of contention.

Mallory will let you ride on an A2, and I think Lydden Hill will as well, but I have no idea about the rest?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MattE
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:23 - 28 Aug 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Bad luck, Silverstone is super boring.

Personally I'd go somewhere like Snetterton for my first trackday. It's more fun than Silverstone but it's also easier to learn.

Make sure the bike is in a good state. You want working brakes, decent recent tyres in good condition at the right pressures and you want everything done up, no leaks, decent chain, sprockets etc etc.

You'll need a way of getting the bike to the track. Either a van or a trailer. That bike (I'd guess) is not road legal.

Don't overthink what to take except the bike and protective gear. You'll see people with all the tools, tyre warmers, awnings, gazebos, generator etc. You don't need any of that really. Just maybe a couple of screwdrivers, a fairly meagre socket set and a jerry can of petrol if you want. Back in the old days we used to ride to the track, ride around and ride home so none of it is a big deal.

Book a normal trackday in novice group, read the bumf they send you and just go and do it. Listen to the tannoy announcements and go out on circuit when directed. You'll generally form up in two queues in the pitlane, which you normally access by going through the garages at Snetterton.

Then, just relax and ride. If people are faster than you ignore it unless they are just a touch faster than you, and then try to see if you can keep up but don't have any expectations about your speed. Look at the instructors and how they do it, and if you think you need it ask for instruction on one of the later sessions in the morning or an afternoon session.

There are loads of threads on here existing about what to do on your first trackday, but the key thing is to have fun. If you can, go with someone who has done a trackday before but it's not essential. Most of the people doing trackdays who aren't in the fast group are very nice friendly people who will help out and chat between sessions. A lot of fast boys think they are racing these days, with £20k superbikes, all the gear and a race face... it's sad in a way because having fun is what it's all about.

Here's the FAQ from the sticky in this very forum. It's an old thread, but by and large still valid.

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=57514

Thanks for such a comprehensive reply, I'll see if I can get one in before the end of the summer. I might see if I can go with someone that used to race professionally just for the first time as I know he would be interested. The zx6 is road legal (just on a daytime MOT) however I can't ride it on current license but I do have a way to get it to the track. I started with road bikes in early 2017 and since then I kinda got hooked lol so this is the most logical next step to me as I enjoy riding them so much.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 213 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1