Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New Speed Triple RR

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:33 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: New Speed Triple RR Reply with quote

New Triumph Speed Triple RR

https://mcn-images.bauersecure.com/PageFiles/691320/615x405/Triumph-Speed-Triple-RR-01.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LltKnXiYmLs

Oh my! That's pretty!!

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:57 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s all good except the headlight. Sick

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:07 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not pretty at all.

You know I'm a Triumph fan and I love what they are doing with a lot of their bikes. The thing is though, their retro aesthetic only goes so far. This 'retrofuturist' thing has to end soon, and when it does we'll end up with some very dated looking bikes. I think this honestly looks like a lash up that someone has built in their shed.

I think what this is, is that they built the Speed Triple RS and realised they've removed most of it's decent road focus, and turned it into a top endy hard suspended track machine. So what do you do with a naked you've made super uncompromising and great on track but not so good on the road? You build a sportsbike.

Ah... slight issue... All current litre class sportsbikes have 200bhp+ and we only have 178. Also sportsbikes don't sell. Oh Sh*t, what do we do? I know! We'll make it a cafe racer!

Jeez. You know I love Triumph but what the hell are they doing? Mind you, they seem to get a lot of sales out of their strategies, so I wouldn't be surprised if it sells by the boatload to people who need to be told what is cool? *shrug* I don't get it.

I was looking forward to this, but I'm so disappointed with it. It looks like a Bandit, honestly. A Bandit with one of those bullet fairing stuck on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:42 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this exact same photo on a Striple FB group, and had some very mixed replies, it seems the stying is very much Marmite

Personally i love it, and would seriously consider buying one if they did a Street Triple version

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:05 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Re: New Speed Triple RR Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

Agreed. A refreshing change from the ghastly transformers/ preying mantis styling that does nothing for me. 'Only 178' HP? Respect if you can use those extra 22 horses to good effect.
If they did that fairing on the new Trident I reckon middleweights would take off again.

PS I say all this with the caveat that the last new/nearly new bike I bought was a Fazer 20 years ago, so my opinion may not count for much.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:24 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
I posted this exact same photo on a Striple FB group, and had some very mixed replies, it seems the stying is very much Marmite

Personally I love it, and would seriously consider buying one if they did a Street Triple version

A cowl faired Street Triple would indeed be attractive, ideally a twin headlight jobbie.

I quite like the approach, cowl on a naked for some wind protection, would make it more functional for sure, no side fairings etc, but the single headlight is a bit Hal 9000.....

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:16 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm carefully considering some what (brand new) bike next choices at the moment which is why this popped up on my radar.

On my short list are the Street Triple RS which I really like but worry it's a bit too similar to the Spacker which I aim
to keep as well although I may part ex or sell it to keep the costs down on the next bike. Or the MT10 which is a very
marmite bike looks wise although should say that I kinda dig the Decepticon mass forwards look. I certainly
enjoyed riding one a few years back. With the MT I worry that a revamped one is about to drop anytime soon
and I'll have bought the old model just before the new one comes. It's certainly due a facelift about now.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
It’s all good except the headlight. Sick

Seems to be a running theme with Triumph. All their bikes have (in my opinion, anyway) minging headlights that look like a "that'll do" afterthought,

Even my ST looks like Dame Edna with an extra eye.

Zen Dog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:49 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to say I like it. Not sure I like it more than the standard one, but I do like it. And if someone really wants a speed triple, but they don't buy bikes without screens (for practical or aesthetic reasons), now they have the option.

MarJay wrote:
It looks like a Bandit, honestly. A Bandit with one of those bullet fairing stuck on it.

Oh come on, it looks way classier than a bandit.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:02 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming at it as a neutral observer... at a glance it would make more sense if the Street Triples were all naked bikes and the Speed Triples faired or half-faired Thinking

TBH I dislike their whole naming system. For example, the Street/Speed Twins have zero to do with the Street/Speed Triples. For the former I would have stuck with some variation on T100/120/140 etc.

I suppose it's 'cos I'm now a Yammie fanboi - the progression from MT125 > MT03 > MT07 > MT09 (and the parallel XSR line) all make perfect sense.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:42 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Coming at it as a neutral observer... at a glance it would make more sense if the Street Triples were all naked bikes and the Speed Triples faired or half-faired Thinking

TBH I dislike their whole naming system. For example, the Street/Speed Twins have zero to do with the Street/Speed Triples. For the former I would have stuck with some variation on T100/120/140 etc.

I suppose it's 'cos I'm now a Yammie fanboi - the progression from MT125 > MT03 > MT07 > MT09 (and the parallel XSR line) all make perfect sense.

Indeed.

BTW I just seen how much it costs, so I'm out, well out. Who pays that (18k) for a toy!!??

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much prefer the MV

https://2yrh403fk8vd1hz9ro2n46dd-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/2020-MV-Agusta-Superveloce-800-Serie-Oro-First-Look-sport-motorcycle-2.jpg

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Re: New Speed Triple RR Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

for me it's either got to be fully fared or naked - one of the few exceptions I can call to mind is the old tuono 1000s; that styling worked very well

but in any case, if there must be a cockpit faring it will need a better light than that - or it will need to be more consciously retro at the very least, otherwise it looks like an uncomfortable clash of faux retro and not-quite-contemporary

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:

If it's the same as most MV's you'll spend more time admiring it from the roadside waiting for the AA than riding it, but it is a thing of beauty.

I like that new Triumph. I thought they had lost their way a bit but that's a refreshing change.

One thing though, aesthetically under seat exhausts look much better filling in that big gap between wheel and seat.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:59 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

Indeed.

BTW I just seen how much it costs, so I'm out, well out. Who pays that (18k) for a toy!!??

Unfortunately, £18k is nothing these days. And it used to be you'd let some other mug pay it and let depreciation do its work, pick it up nice and cheap second hand in a few years time. That's not the case, either Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:17 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zen Dog wrote:

Oh come on, it looks way classier than a bandit.

Does it though? I think I've put my finger on what is wrong. The Street Triple and Speed triple live on the fact that they are sportsbikes with the fairing ripped off. We all make allowances for the looks because they are nakeds, and Triumph have done a decent job in making them work like that.

Then, you add a fairing. Even a weird bullet fairing and it takes the bike into a different league. It's a league where the stand up engine with the weird fake castings, the girder iron frame and the weird parallel but not-one-single-line lines of the tail, tank and fairing seem to clash. To my eye anyway. Maybe in the metal it will be better looking? But to me this bike looks like the top half is nearly coherent, whilst the bottom half is not. A well judged full fairing might have made it work? Even a Belly pan might have softened that squareness just behind the front wheel. Either way I'm not a fan. Either stop pussy footing about, take a brave pill and build a superbike, or stick to your niche for road biassed nakeds. Trying to be all things to all people will just end up going down a dead end IMO.

If this had upright flat bars then I might get it as a sports tourer, but I just can't see the point of this bike. Will people go to Scotland on it? Will they do trackdays on it? I don't think they will do either...

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

If it's the same as most MV's you'll spend more time admiring it from the roadside waiting for the AA than riding it

Is that based on your experience? Or pub waffle?

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:31 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:

My only experience of an MV was test riding a Brutale 990 which was all of 10 years old, 10k miles ridden with lots of history. There were bubbles in the paint on the tank and I think the clocks had misted up a bit despite it being inside the showroom.

Starting it up was.....challenging... almost as challenging as keeping it running until it warmed up a bit and settled into a far from settled idle. On the test run it was fluffy as hell down low but I have to admit, glorious on the throttle giving it the beans - oof....

But I couldn't help but think it was a bit hit n miss and it wasn't something I was going to take a punt on.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:33 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm done with modern bike styling. if I was in the market for a new bike now, I wouldn't be too concerned about the looks. This looks...alright, doesn't grab me in any way, so all that's left is to wonder what it's like to ride. But I preferred the days where my interest was piqued first by how a bike looks. A 1200cc Triumph Triple engine sounds interesting, to a degree. Bet with a decent exhaust it'd sound pretty mean anyway.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:01 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:

I have a friend who bought a brand new 1000 Senna in 2016. It's never worked properly and it's mostly because MV used parts from the parts bin to build it. The Engine is one thing, and the ECU is for a different model of engine and has the wrong mapping (and apparently can't be remapped). There has been a consistent and impossible to trace coolant leak, and it overheats if you ride it within the speed limit. The parts for things like indicators and trim parts are unique to this bike, and aren't stocked by MV in Italy let alone obtaining them in the UK. My friend seems to be wanting to stick with it and won't hear a word against it, but is also clearly frustrated than the thing can't be used, keeps breaking, costs him a fortune each time it does and can't realistically be repaired with multiple failed attempts in the years he's owned it.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it doesn't ring my bell. Same ergonomics as the earlier one, too small for me, dont really care about a fairing. Having said that Triumph make a great range of bikes, something for everyone and in my opinion they are good quality. Quality of the finish on the Yam MT's is dogshit compared.

OGR

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:20 - 29 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

If it's the same as most MV's you'll spend more time admiring it from the roadside waiting for the AA than riding it

There were 2 MV's in the group of friends I have ridden with for years, an F4 and an F3. Both beautiful bikes but both unreliable, more the F4 than the triple. Both owners had second bikes and these were mollycoddled more than their kids. F4 regularly overheated and both used to decide to misfire at any random moment. The F3 stopped on a run to Stratford one Sunday and then spent weeks at a dealer while they tried to fix it.

I would never buy one but I do lust after the looks of an F4.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 12:19 - 29 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure the round headlight works too well on this one, something like daytona 675 nosecose and tail following those lines would have been a lot sharper. This seems like it cant really decide what it wants to be.

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:

is that silver circle on the seat a fart filter?

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:09 - 05 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thruxton RS currently on my radar, will be checking one out.

OGR
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 175 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2