Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Camping mat to fit on the bike.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:07 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Camping mat to fit on the bike. Reply with quote

I'm due to go on my first camping trip on the bike next weekend.
Is it possible to get a decent sleeping mat for around £50?
Can anyone recommend one to buy.
Thanks.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:21 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are millions out there for much less than that.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:51 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thermarest self inflating mats for the win.

Other brands are also available but the self inflating ones are approximately twenty five point three seven billion times better than the foam ones or inflatable ones.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:10 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Thermarests, Pacific Outdoor mats and others. But my favourite was the cheap ones you used to get in Millets for a very low price, where you individually inflate 6 mat-length 'cells'. Light, packed down small, easy to inflate to the firmness you want.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:40 - 16 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decathalon have a good selection of different types, most of their gear I've had performs pretty well.

However to echo the above, I'm still using the therm-a-rest I got 21 years ago.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:42 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above really, I have a Thermarest I bought about 15 years ago and it's had a LOT of use over the years. Always performed flawlessly.

Mrs Thunderguts has a cheaper Vango branded one - it's not as comfy and is bulkier when packed away, I suspect is less insulating too.

Foam ones have a massive advantage; they don't puncture and it's impossible to get cold spots (an inflatable one can "collapse" locally if you put pressure in one place, e.g. sleep on your side, although I've never knowingly had that problem myself). They are cheap, but they're also very bulky (and on a bike will act like a sail) and not particularly comfortable.

Not everyone necessarily has the money to invest in something like this up front, but if you can afford it and are likely to use it, it's worth splashing out on a good Thermarest.

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 07:52 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers i'll look at thermarest ones then.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:32 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

thermarest are great but fuck me the one i got was really narrow - i must've thought small was best, and when camping off a bike it is - however, you can find yourself waking up in the night because you've rolled off it in your sleep and got really uncomfy, and the fourth time that happens is a bit shit

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:17 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Vango Trek 3, cost £28 and it's small and light enough.

I do find adding some additional air by blowing in the valve does improve the comfort somewhat to allowing it to just self-inflate.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:52 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
However to echo the above, I'm still using the therm-a-rest I got 21 years ago.

Do you store yours unrolled with the valve open?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:37 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Do you store yours unrolled with the valve open?

I do. Also keep my sleeping bags in a large net bag to help stop the feathers from collapsing.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:26 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs stinkwheel uses a thermarest under one of those minimalist tubular blow up mats. She's a real cold-arse and this apparently works very well.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:24 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
thermarest are great but fuck me the one i got was really narrow - i must've thought small was best, and when camping off a bike it is - however, you can find yourself waking up in the night because you've rolled off it in your sleep and got really uncomfy, and the fourth time that happens is a bit shit

That's why I like the multiple mat-length cells - you can inflate the outer cells a bit more, helps to keep you in place, although a little more width on those ones wouldn't go amiss either.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:06 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's really cold/wet, you can put one of those mylar space blankets under the tent groundsheet. Prevents water strikethrough because they are properly waterproof, reflect heat back, fit in a pocket and cheap enough to be disposable.

Perfect if you pitch up on snow.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
If it's really cold/wet, you can put one of those mylar space blankets under the tent groundsheet. Prevents water strikethrough because they are properly waterproof, reflect heat back, fit in a pocket and cheap enough to be disposable.

Perfect if you pitch up on snow.

I can't imagine there being much radiated heat with a groundsheet in direct contact with the ground, but yes I agree with the waterproof element. I have a waterproof tarp cut to the shape of my inner (less an inch, so runoff doesn't get caught) for this reason. Also keeps the groundsheet clean and dryer which is better for packing the tent away, plus will offer limited puncture protection if camping on rougher ground. My Terra Nova tent has a "proper" OEM footprint; it is better but I think it cost £40 or something. That said, that tent is 11 years old and has probably been camped in for around 80 nights over the years and the groundsheet still looks like new.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:13 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thermarest are great, and at the time I got mine theirs seemed to be the only choice for that type of self-inflating mat. Nowadays there are any number of cheap copies which will do just as well for occasional use, e.g. I picked up a Gelert one for £20 about 10 years ago that's still going well.

If it's going to get well used, though, then I will say that Thermarest do honour their lifetime guarantee - one of ours delaminated so that a big air bubble formed between the foam and the outer skin. It had originally been bought for a year-long trip to New Zealand 20 years earlier and had seen plenty of use after that, but I received a new one about two weeks after sending the old one back for inspection Thumbs Up

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:45 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thermarest is what I use.
But don't buy the fecking 1/2 body length. Your kneesshins and feet will not speak to you in the morning. Stupid bastirt things.
A good sleeping bag is worth having too. It late in the year for camping so you need a thick bag. Or sleep in clothes. I prefer a thick bag and go skidder less.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:54 - 20 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

A good sleeping bag is worth having too. It late in the year for camping so you need a thick bag. Or sleep in clothes. I prefer a thick bag and go skidder less.

I have a one season and a three season. I also have an epically warm 4-season but it's total overkill unless you know you'll be in sub-zero conditions.

So I use the one season in the summer, three season either end of the year and if I'm not sure if it'll be too cold for the three, I take both and use one inside the other if necessary (still packs smaller than my 4-season).

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:25 - 21 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be aware that if your a side sleeper you will need at least 4" of thickness.
any less and you will wake with cold aching hips n ribs.

obviously I'm basing this assessment on me, and i weight roughly the same as an adult silverback with slightly less hair..... just Very Happy

id recommend the "Trekology" mats you can find on Amazon.
they even have raised sides to stop you rolling off, which is always a bonus Smile

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:28 - 23 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnoe wrote:
Just be aware that if your a side sleeper you will need at least 4" of thickness.
any less and you will wake with cold aching hips n ribs.

obviously I'm basing this assessment on me, and i weight roughly the same as an adult silverback with slightly less hair..... just Very Happy

id recommend the "Trekology" mats you can find on Amazon.
they even have raised sides to stop you rolling off, which is always a bonus Smile

Yeah I wouldn't like to be pissed drunk, roll over too far and fall out the sleeping mat onto the groundsheet. Shocked

Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 208 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1