Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Parking on pavement

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Parking on pavement Reply with quote

I thought I'd post this here as many new riders may not be aware of this, whereas there's a chance more seasoned riders may well be.

It's something I've heard being banded about but never actually bothered to look it up in law to establish whether it's fact or just an old wives' tale. But this video refers to the highway code and the legal legislation it relates to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO69N9G_9Iw

Skip to 09:17

In short you can park on the pavement anywhere in the UK (or possibly just England and Wales?) except in London. It's illegal to drive or ride a motorbike on the pavement so dismount and push the bike onto the pavement in order to park it.

I'm going to get a barrage of messages about pushing a motorcycle is technically being in charge of a motor vehicle now... whether that is or is not the case you're highly unlikely to be prosecuted for that by a copper and there's nothing a traffic warden can give you a ticket for in that regard. I think there's a separate rule somewhere about not obstructing the pavement so just to be on the safe side only park on a pavement that is wide enough not to cause an obstruction to potential wheelchair / mobility scooter / double pushchair users.

I hope this helps people feel comfortable in being able to park for free in more locations that they thought they were able to previously.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 17 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Greater London so goes further than some people expect, Romford, Upminster etc. It isn't just pavements either, it's anything other than carriageway, so grass verges, central reservations etc.
Here's the section that applies
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukla/1974/24/section/15

I've had two parking tickets in my lifetime, both for a motorbike and the second was for just this, I was parked on the footway at work and a warden swooped whilst I was about 150 yards away pointing at important stuff, I couldn't be arsed to run over and try and talk to him. Luckily I was able to appeal on one of the listed exemptions and after a bit of arguing got the ticket and another ticket for a colleague at the same location over turned without going all the way to the adjudicators.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 17:05 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Re: Parking on pavement Reply with quote

TravisBickle wrote:
In short you can park on the pavement anywhere in the UK (or possibly just England and Wales?) except in London.

When does it say that in the video?

At 09:17 the guy is talking specifically about what you can't do in London, there doesn't appear to be anything about what you can or can't do elsewhere in the country.

Don't parking regulations cover the whole carriageway including pavements? Of course, whether or not local authorities choose to do anything about it is an entirely different matter.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:59 - 18 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living just outside of London I can say ppl park bikes on pavements all the time, when there's plenty of space available.

DUCAUDI
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:23 - 19 Sep 2021    Post subject: Re: Parking on pavement Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
When does it say that in the video?

At 09:17 the guy is talking specifically about what you can't do in London, there doesn't appear to be anything about what you can or can't do elsewhere in the country.

Don't parking regulations cover the whole carriageway including pavements? Of course, whether or not local authorities choose to do anything about it is an entirely different matter.

Watch it again and remember the difference between MUST NOT and SHOULD NOT. MUST NOT is enforceable by law and backed up by legislation, SHOULD NOT is not and only recommended/advisory.

The legislation says you MUST not park on the pavement in Greater London, and SHOULD not anywhere else in the country.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:27 - 19 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The highway extends to the edge of the road, including the footway, the parking restriction applys to the highway. I have had parking tickets on a pavement before in Edinburgh and they weren't for parking on the pavement, they were for parking on double yellows.

Although not all footways are entirely part of the highway. Often in towns part of the footway belongs to the building and they pay council tax/rates on it. You will often see those are kind of sectioned off with a different type of paving or metal road studs or have cellar doors on them. I did successfully appeal one of said tickets because I showed I was actually parked on private property belonging to the building I was next to.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:37 - 19 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number plate held on with Velcro.
Makes life a lot easier .

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:18 - 21 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love how London has its own rules overriding everywhere else.

stupid place

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 21 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
The highway extends to the edge of the road, including the footway, the parking restriction applys to the highway. I have had parking tickets on a pavement before in Edinburgh and they weren't for parking on the pavement, they were for parking on double yellows.

Although not all footways are entirely part of the highway. Often in towns part of the footway belongs to the building and they pay council tax/rates on it. You will often see those are kind of sectioned off with a different type of paving or metal road studs or have cellar doors on them. I did successfully appeal one of said tickets because I showed I was actually parked on private property belonging to the building I was next to.

Thumbs Up

This is massively misunderstood by so many; people assume "highway" is the bit you drive/ride on, but it's actually a collective term for the carriageway (where you drive/ride) and the footway (where you walk). Knowing exactly where the boundary between private land, highway and public spaces that are not highway is not always obvious. Many verges are highway so even where there's a footway with grass beyond it before say a wall or hedge, it can all be classed as highway so any restrictions will apply. Waiting restrictions will apply to that entire side of the highway, from the centreline through to highway boundary. Zone parking is even more overbearing as there are no markings required either, but generally they're pretty obvious as they are usually only found in town/city centres or other areas where parking is particularly problematic so if something seems too good to be true, it probably is. Same rules apply though - all of the highway is enclosed (although with zones, it's the entire width from boundary to boundary).
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 208 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1