Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Energy suppliers going to the wall

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Energy suppliers going to the wall Reply with quote

So ours has gone bust. Doubtless others to follow.

Apparently Ofgem will "transfer us in due course". Who knows who'll want to take on new customers and we were only a matter of months into a good fixed price deal. Bugger.

Tempted to go running and finding a better deal, but I suspect in reality there isn't such a thing and I'd be better off sitting tight to see what happens.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:07 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do we blame it on Brexit?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:18 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
How do we blame it on Brexit?

Easily.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:49 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you explain?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:17 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually Russia reducing produ tion which increases wholesale price. Supply a d demand etc.

A bit like opec when they reduce how many barrels of oil are produced to increase the price of oil.

In addition an interlink from the national grid to France is borked increasing demand for.electicity generated in the UK.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was the Norway supply of gas this time?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:31 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A problem brought about by state intervention in the market (price caps)... So obviously the solution is more state intervention.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:55 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

More a case the smaller supiers didn't hedge to ensure they could afford their cheap deals despite the vagaries of the market.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fixed price deal with Octopus ends this week.

I currently pay £120 per month, new quote £240.

Double.

Great

The irony was I was emailed early August and if I had swapped then, it would have been £600 per year cheaper.

No fecking way i'm working from home anymore.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:16 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

H
Meh my heating has been turned off completely for the last six months and as wife will be home anyway working from home saves me money in travel costs.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone paying a set amount monthly could be in credit at this time of year but it will be fun trying to get that back.
I *think* we just set up a new three year contract about a month ago - it was up a bit on previous one but now seems like a good deal (provided SSE don't go bust too Laughing )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 22:44 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The replacement supplier buys the debt so your overspend is safe.

JackButler
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:48 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Anyone paying a set amount monthly could be in credit at this time of year but it will be fun trying to get that back.
I *think* we just set up a new three year contract about a month ago - it was up a bit on previous one but now seems like a good deal (provided SSE don't go bust too Laughing )

Any positive balance you have in credit is protected in law. If/when you are transferred to a new supplier that positive balance will follow with you.

I'm not 100% sure this applies to any debt. If you are in debt to a supplier that has gone bust it might be down to the administrators to recover that debt.

Trust me on this one, I have rental properties & I've spent the past 2 days reassuring myself this won't cost me £10's 000's . . . .

I'm heavily into Bulb Energy, they're in serious shit but if they do go under it won't affect us too much. I have zero knowledge of how stable SSE is, but if they do go under the worse that can happen is your new tariff is the price cap.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:53 - 22 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're assuming any of the other suppliers will actually bid on the new "customers" because they are currently selling gas at a loss because aqs far as i'm aware, the capped price is lower than the cost to supply. Then the fun really starts because the government will have to step in and the British Gas name is already taken.

I can see them having to set up a temporary state-owned holding company.

My oil tank is 3/4 full.

Last edited by stinkwheel on 12:13 - 23 Sep 2021; edited 1 time in total

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:05 - 23 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont just blame it on brexit.

Islam has a lot to do with it too you know.

The Saudi regime and it's stranglehold on Islam and their repeated attempts at control of world energy prices.
(They keep getting things wrong though on pricing their hydrocarbons glut. Shit at poker and governance in general.)

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:15 - 23 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackButler wrote:

Any positive balance you have in credit is protected in law. If/when you are transferred to a new supplier that positive balance will follow with you.

This seems rather naïve, how long are you prepared to wait on hold listening to apologies for not answering due to unusually high demand interspersed with lift music.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:30 - 23 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Avro who have just gone bust, their website states this and it's been on the news but otherwise I wouldn't have known a thing.

Ofgen advice is to just sit tight until a new supplier has been found, I'm fully expecting to be completely bummed and find my energy prices going through the roof very quickly.

I need to urgently start chopping down trees in the local woods and storing the logs in my garden, buy out all the real fire stoves I can find and in a years time I'll be a millionaire from my business of supplying cheaper home heating...
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).

Tracey Suntan-King
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:00 - 23 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s important to take meter readings, backed by photos as soon as you hear your supplier has gone bust.

Edit: Because you may end up in a dispute about how much you owed/were owed at the point of switching to a new supplier.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:08 - 23 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
A problem brought about by state intervention in the market (price caps)... So obviously the solution is more state intervention.

Not really, there's a lot more to the crisis and potentially more of a squeeze to come if asia has a bad winter. https://www.worldoil.com/news/2021/9/17/europe-faces-a-winter-energy-crisis-years-in-the-making

As for state intervention, the french are weathering it better than we are as domestic gas is largely supplyed by a a state run supplier GRDF.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:12 - 23 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting if you look on French version of Gridwatch - not only are they often near 90% nuclear but have a much higher total power consumption than the UK presumably because gas is far less used for domestic hot water and cooking.
https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/france/

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:13 - 23 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Dont just blame it on brexit.

Islam has a lot to do with it too you know.

The Saudi regime and it's stranglehold on Islam and their repeated attempts at control of world energy prices.
(They keep getting things wrong though on pricing their hydrocarbons glut. Shit at poker and governance in general.)

Falling out with Putin doesn't help, if we're happy enough to be in an alliance with the Salafist Whahabist Qataries who look after Taliban leaders then we should be cool with Vlad no matter he's a dictatorial tw@t.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:24 - 23 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was with Tonik - bust. Moved to Green a few months back - now bust.

Traditionally we've had relatively cheap energy compared to some in EU..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 23 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
It's interesting if you look on French version of Gridwatch - not only are they often near 90% nuclear but have a much higher total power consumption than the UK presumably because gas is far less used for domestic hot water and cooking.
https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/france/

And they have those wacky robot-style pylons.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:35 - 23 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

God forbid anyone ends up with the gang of pirates that is Scottish Power. I’m just about to change supplier away from them

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:50 - 23 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracey Suntan-King wrote:
It’s important to take meter readings, backed by photos as soon as you hear your supplier has gone bust.

Edit: Because you may end up in a dispute about how much you owed/were owed at the point of switching to a new supplier.

So much this.

A friend got stung just changing suppliers and ended up paying both. I wouldn't trust them as far as I can spit, and thats before the present shenanigans.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 209 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2