Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

To Those Panic Buying Petrol

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:03 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it is spot checked but mainly on commercial vehicles. Nobody is going to look twice at some old dude (Sorry PB...) in a Jag.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:10 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only station of the eleven within 4 miles of me that is shut is a Texaco station, a few Shell have reduced pumps, but still in stock all the rest have plenty of fuel, only two stupid queues, but the rest are slightly busier than normal, but nothing special.

The same old story, if you just filled up with your normal shopping style then all will be fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
It is spot-checked.

But like drunken driving, you only need to to get hit by some other drunken bastirt and it's game over for both.
(If they suspect foul/fowl play on the fuel front.)
If you look like a pikey....
Just sayin'.

Red Diesel dye leaves a trace. It depends on how hard the custom and excise get over it.

Years ago I was working on a building site in Cumbernauld and the main contractor had bowsers of red diesel for the huge earthmovers and some of the guys there were filling their cars, vans and 4x4s from them. HMRC and Strathclyde Police obviously got tipped off because they came to the site one day and checked every single vehicle in the site car park and I am pretty sure the ones caught got massive fines based on the mileages of the cars instead of numbers of litres used, etc.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:23 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I agree it is spot checked but mainly on commercial vehicles. Nobody is going to look twice at some old dude (Sorry PB...) in a Jag.

AFAIK dipping is intelligence led as the plod are focused on ppl selling red diesel.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from work related trip to Whitby and it seemed normal there, no more than 4 or 5 waiting to get to pumps at bigger ones anyway.
Traffic less than normal it felt like mild stages of lockdown.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's prices like around your way guys? Just had to pay £1.60 a litre (30 quid max) for diesel here Evil or Very Mad

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diesel was 135p in Whitby which is always a bit dear being a touch remote. They haven't put it up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:08 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

We travelled down to Wales on Thursday. Our local stations were closed or had big queues. The ones on the M56 and A55 had some diesel pumps closed and queues.

Found a small place in Wales and filled up as the Toyota hi lux beside us was also filling up… a 1000ltr container (the type in a metal cage).

I’m sure it’ll sort itself out when they’ve relaxed working visas and made the HGV licences easier plus an extension of driving hours.
So long as it’s sorted for Christmas I’ll be happy.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:27 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should sort itself out pretty quickly, given that most people can't hoarde huge supplies of it (unlike spare bedrooms full of bog roll) coupled with the fact that there isn't actually a supply problem - I would think that it [stupidity] will stabilise by the end of the week, people will have full tanks and the queues will subside.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:42 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I blame the media, but also the haulage bosses who set up this story. They’re not happy about having to increase wages and promote driver training. Brexit is working.

Interesting to note that BP who started the ball rolling are due Q3 figures at start of November.
Cynical people might take that as they wanted to boost sales to make them look a good bet..

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:51 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I blame the media, but also the haulage bosses who set up this story. They’re not happy about having to increase wages and promote driver training. Brexit is working.

Interesting to note that BP who started the ball rolling are due Q3 figures at start of November.
Cynical people might take that as they wanted to boost sales to make them look a good bet..

So how does boosting figure for at best 5 day and then having a slump in sales for 5 day because everyone has a fucking glut of fuel and need to use it up before they buy any more show anything more than a tiny increase in sales over 3 months

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

Petrol is a tiny part of an oil giants portfolio. Shell often said in house that the only reason they bother with the retail/franchise end is the brand image. It won't make an iota of difference to their figures.

Grant Shapps is blaming the hauliers association for manipulating this to force the gov into letting the eastern drivers back in. Looks like it's worked. Rolling Eyes

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:
What's prices like around your way guys? Just had to pay £1.60 a litre (30 quid max) for diesel here Evil or Very Mad

£1.39 per litre of petrol at ASDA in Blantyre (Glasgow) when I filled up the Kwak.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conspiracy theory doing the rounds is that BP were sat on "old" fuel and wanted it gone. Hence causing this "Fuel shortage".

I get oil companies are shitty, shitty entities, but I don't think they have that much sway... yet. May well have given them ideas though.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I love the e10 conspiracy theory!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:35 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that scientists had discovered an isotope of two molecules in petrol/gasoline can be utilised to manufacture a new covid 19 vaccine.

37% of U.K. supplies were diverted to a lab someplace just North of Southampton.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:41 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Counting the days till "...and investigators believe the alleged thief was smoking while syphoning the petrol. The inquest continues..."

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I read somewhere that scientists had discovered an isotope of two molecules in petrol/gasoline can be utilised to manufacture a new covid 19 vaccine.

37% of U.K. supplies were diverted to a lab someplace just North of Southampton.

I heard the same but it was just south of Northampton.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 19:37 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

in B4 videos of people filling plastic bags with petrol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:50 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

E10 came in about a month ago.
Petrol lasts at least 6 months even not in a sealed container.
Theres barely 2 months storage for fuel in the uk.

The whole thing about fuel going off is more bollocks than the covid/5g thing.

EDIT: Last year I didnt use a tank full for the best part of 9 months. I had no issues with fuelling in that time but my battery died.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:31 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those panic buying petrol ,, You are all wankers.

And the slimey cum stains in the press need to take blame as well, fucking aresholes.
Makes me wonder who's pocket the news editors are in.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:28 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
E10 came in about a month ago.
Petrol lasts at least 6 months even not in a sealed container.
Theres barely 2 months storage for fuel in the uk.

The whole thing about fuel going off is more bollocks than the covid/5g thing.

EDIT: Last year I didnt use a tank full for the best part of 9 months. I had no issues with fuelling in that time but my battery died.

Hairs needing Splitting.

Winter/Summer Diesel could be an issue.
Summer Diesel can become slushy due to wax crystals during sub-zero °C.

But like you say, petrol might take years to 'go off' when stored at our UK temps.

Probably loose lid allowing moisture into the container would be an issue.
But most kunts won't notice any drop off in performance.
It's only those kuhnts in White Lab Coats using science equipment that could measure that.

Hot weather (really hot 28°Centipede >) will affect petrol and Diesel fules more, due to evaporation. If it changes colour then perhaps the efficacy is reduced.

My lawnmower gets filled with Morrison's Finest Unleaded after the last cut and sits doing Hee-Haw all winter until the beginning of summer the next May-ish and it doesnt miss a beat.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:31 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't do the summer/winter diesel thing now it has additives all year round as it was too easy to have fuel mixed and only good to say -5 rather than -10 for UK

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:35 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

My lawnmower gets filled with Morrison's Finest Unleaded after the last cut and sits doing Hee-Haw all winter until the beginning of summer the next May-ish and it doesnt miss a beat.

Best advice now is run it dry, power tools used seasonally are a particular concern with E10.
Cold weather actually increases the tendency to separate water out and it won't recombine.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:53 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Same here, mine doesn't miss a beat using fuel from the previous year. Might be a little smoky when it first lights up but I reckon that's just due to a little moisture. Not bad for something that was like £200 from ToolStation and the petrol doesn't evaporate out of it much from what I can tell. The 2-stroke petrol strimmer I have on the other hand evaporates out pretty quickly, probably because it was a £80 job from ScrewFix and shite quality.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 204 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5