Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

To Those Panic Buying Petrol

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:59 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My honda izy hadn't run for about 8 months - it's about 15 years old - and although it started first pull (!!), it was hunting like mad and wouldn't settle. In the end I had to get the carb cleaned (fine now). Was it all down to modern crappy fuel or just old age, or both, or what. Who knows.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:35 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
My honda izy hadn't run for about 8 months - it's about 15 years old - and although it started first pull (!!), it was hunting like mad and wouldn't settle. In the end I had to get the carb cleaned (fine now). Was it all down to modern crappy fuel or just old age, or both, or what. Who knows.

Effanknol pulls in atmospheric moisture so possibly lost a bit of it's bang.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:38 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fat Angry Scotsman wrote:
MCN wrote:
My lawnmower gets filled with Morrison's Finest Unleaded after the last cut and sits doing Hee-Haw all winter until the beginning of summer the next May-ish and it doesnt miss a beat.

Same here, mine doesn't miss a beat using fuel from the previous year. Might be a little smoky when it first lights up but I reckon that's just due to a little moisture. Not bad for something that was like £200 from ToolStation and the petrol doesn't evaporate out of it much from what I can tell. The 2-stroke petrol strimmer I have on the other hand evaporates out pretty quickly, probably because it was a £80 job from ScrewFix and shite quality.

2-smokes are a pig's bastirt to get going after a lay-overs.
Fresh-mixed fuel and plenty of chokerino will get them going. Then they seem to be ok until laid-up again. Bastirts.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:24 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the fuel 'crisis' is easing off already around MK. Yes, you still have to queue but the major garages and supermarkets are pretty well all open with fuel.

Wifie filled up her nannybus today so looks like my car and boat supplies are safe for the moment. Dance!

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:34 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

£30 limit in York - notices on pumps. Not sure how enforcible that is - but guessing "not very".

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:43 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

£30 limit in York - notices on pumps. Not sure how enforcible that is - but guessing "not very".

Can't they just set the delivery limit on the pumps?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Can't they just set the delivery limit on the pumps?

They didn’t at Shell when I was there. Signs up saying 30 quid max and I went over it by a small amount. Pump showed no signs of stopping when I let up. I think they were just on display but happy to keep charging “I’m gonna rape your wallet” pricing to anyone who would pay.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:29 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be able to - otherwise how do they enforce the £99 maximum spend on Pay at Pump?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:52 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
Must be able to - otherwise how do they enforce the £99 maximum spend on Pay at Pump?

Because the numbers don't go higher.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:55 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
arry wrote:

They must do. I've put over £100 worth of fuel in a motorhome. Not on pay at pump though.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
arry wrote:

Don't be daft Laughing

You'd struggle to fill up a Sprinter van to the brim if that were the case.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:01 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuters are reporting that the armed services will be helping out later this week.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-troops-drive-fuel-trucks-gas-stations-later-this-week-sky-2021-09-28/

What a pretty pickle.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:15 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they won't. Garages are stocked up with fuel again now all the fuckwits have run out of milk bottles to fill.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
No they won't. Garages are stocked up with fuel again now all the fuckwits have run out of milk bottles to fill.

Exactly. The fuckwits now all have full tanks, so can only replace what they’re actually using. Give it til the weekend and it’ll be back to normal.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:17 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Reuters are reporting that the armed services will be helping out later this week.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uk-troops-drive-fuel-trucks-gas-stations-later-this-week-sky-2021-09-28/

What a pretty pickle.

150 , is that a joke.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 29 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^you had me confused for a second there. Couldn’t find 150 in the article I linked to. Miscommunication is easily done.

I’m no expert in the numbers required. I just hope my back of a cigarette packet maths are good enough to get us home from Wales (they are because I bloody well made sure).

So who amongst us are convinced it’s the media at fault or the greedy sods filling up bottles and cans…. That’s a rhetorical question as I’m frankly amazed that anyone can’t see that it’s mainly a shortage of drivers.
Hence some food shops on occasion also running low.
My friends in Portugal, Spain and Italy are…. Karma

The powers that be do not deserve the steam off our piss.

I mean ‘we’ all knew that there were foreigners getting paid less doing the *unskilled jobs and it wasn’t like leaving the EU was a surprise.
Yet the leaders didn’t plan for this.

*takes skill to do good care work or plaster a wall or…oh you know if you’ve reversed a trailer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 29 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised ppl have so much free time. During the day my local Shell had a long, long, long line of semi-parked cars. Ironically they prevented the tanker from getting in Rolling Eyes

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 02 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folk are following cement waggons now FFS
Dumb bastards
A tanker driver has told how he was tailed by about 20 drivers who were dismayed to discover he was not transporting petrol.

Johnny Anderson, who drives for Weaver Haulage, was transporting 44 tonnes of mortar from Bilston, Wolverhampton, to a building site in Northamptonshire.
When he reached his destination, he saw a line of traffic backed up behind him.
"The man at the front... actually said 'You could have stopped and told us you weren't a petrol tanker," he said.

"I couldn't believe it... I just went full McEnroe and said 'You cannot be serious!'
"Then the bloke behind asked me where the nearest petrol station was. It just beggars belief."

full story:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-58767230

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/18F4/production/_120788360_mortar.jpg

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:49 - 02 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filled the van up again yesterday. Tesco Filton filling station, just 1 car on the pump in front of me, they have hiked the
price a little, was a whisker under £1.40 a litre. Same place was 1.35 last time I passed by. Got £34 worth in though and
am good for my commute for another week and a bit. I've booked some time off to go car shopping next week. Talking
of price fluctuations I had my eye on a car on Auto Trader, main dealer approved used kind of thing. When I first saw it
the price was £14,650, looked at it again about a week later and it had dropped to £13,650 which made it a bit more
appealing, decided to book a viewing and went back to the ad a week later again. Price had risen to £14,980. I Left an
enquiry asking why this was and the salesman (who has already lost the opportunity to sell to me) called me yesterday
and started blathering on about how scarcity of used cars has caused the price to rise rapidly. I asked if they got more
for it then would they be sending the guy they bought it from a little extra or were they (like everyone else seemingly)
just using the scamdemic as an excuse to fleece more cash out of people? Then he switched tack and started banging
on about a micro chip shortage making it hard for them to get new stock. 'But I don't want a new one,' I replied,
'presumably this one already has all it's microchips in place already given it's 3 years old?'. Then he switched to car
salesman mode and started on about how he could reduce the price and what would be my best offer... Sigh...
It's a car, a depreciating asset, not a bloody house. I've already nexted them and am looking elsewhere now, shame as
the car was ideal, except for their fun and games with pricing.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:28 - 02 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on this is that fuel storage at garages is s ensitive and is based entirely on having just enough to service demand and cannot cope with spikes in that.

The twat from the RHA who started all this nonsense would have been very much aware of that. He's no less of a disruptive arsehole than those Insulate Britain muppets.

Now that ever car parked on every drive in the land is filled with fuel things will go back to normal once supplies catch up and those of us who fill up regularly with the same amount every week or two can go back to doing so.

Personally I hope they all overpaid for E10 and that it gums their fuel lines up when it sits unused for the next 3 months.

Next time I change car i'm going PHEV, not because it's green but because i can commute solely on the electric part of the car without having to rely on people not being thickos. For the odd occasion the petrol part is required, it's there if needed.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:43 - 02 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It already has gone back normal where I live (unless you’re dumb and try to fill up at rush hour in the afternoon).

Rolled into the local Esso yesterday early morning, no queue at all, filled up with diesel to a full tank. No issues.

But totally agree with the above post. “Just in time” deliveries are great until the general public decide they all want the same thing at the same time and are willing to drive around wasting fuel to try and get it.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:03 - 02 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been fuel at the end of my road all this week.

The BBC tried to stir the pot again earlier in the week saying 'No improvement' then immediately giving the statistics that there was indeed an improvement Rolling Eyes Laughing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58747281

Quote:
There has been no improvement in petrol supplies at independent petrol stations since Wednesday, according to industry body the Petrol Retailers Association.

The PRA, which represents independent fuel retailers, said that more than a quarter (27%) of its members' were still out of fuel on Thursday.

That was better than the 37% which were out of fuel on Tuesday, but demand remained higher than usual, it said.

I mean honestly, throwing the since Wednesday in there is just disingenuous as fuck, isn't it?

Another way of phrasing the situation is that three quarters of petrol stations are now with fuel, whereas on Tuesday it was just 2 thirds.

But that wouldn't have the desired effect, would it.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 02 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not his best plan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsWn_w9Ffpw

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 02 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

Jesus wept Laughing

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:08 - 02 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:

Fake. Viral vid produced to shock.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 205 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5