Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

UK jobs, fuel shortgages etc. Brexit dividents?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:26 - 31 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Economies of scale are cost savings that one combined EU army can reap as a result of efficient procurement and standartisation.

It will be easier to maintain and supply one army with say one or two main battle tanks then 27 separate armies with 30 different types of tanks. It is about less military spending which will be more effective and stronger military power too. This will help NATO and the UK defence too unless you say you want to leave NATO.

Trust me, this will never happen.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:55 - 31 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
If an EU army is based on the German model -which let's face it, it will be- it will have no remit for executive action. The deployment of such a force will be at the behest of, under discussion by and under the control of the parliament.

As such, in any situation where such an army would be useful, it would be tied up in interdepartmental bickering and micro-managing to such an extent that any threat would have either gone or become unmanageable by the time it gets the go-ahead to act. Even when it does, it's remit would be restrictive and inflexible.

Worst of all situations when it comes to military action.

But then there's what happens if you DO have a remit for executive action. Will member states be comfortable with their troops being deployed on the say-so of whomever is given that remit?

US is federated state why the EU federation with army will not have remit for executive action? EU federation army will have a joint command governed by decisions of EU Parliament. Member states will have no say. The same way Florida or Texas has no say when US deply the army. All EU citizens will have democratic say via Parliament.

Much more democratic then bombing people based on unelected PM decision like the UK.

Execuative action is when someone makes the decision to issue a command to deploy the troops to carry out a task. This order is then carried down the chain of command and executed. They generally stipulate what they want to happen and some rules of engagement, the fine details are then left to the military mechanism.

This is what happens in the UK and the USA. The executive (in these cases, ultimately the Prime Minister on behalf of the soverign or the President) makes that call. They are answerable to parliament/congress for that decision but it is their call. Classic example being Thatcher ordering her submarine captain to sink the Belgranno during the Argentine war.

They will consult parliament in advance if possible and operationally appropriate but have the mandate to act when needed. So when Huthis fired a missile at one of our warships, the PM ordered the RAF to strike a Huthi missile base. He didn't wait until after the weekend when parliament was back in session and argue the toss. But he is responsible for those actions to parliament.

What you describe is the situation they have in Germany, where parliament debates the issues at hand and decides how they should act. This results in compromise, delayed action, micromanagement of the situation and an ineffective response. Nothing gets done because nobody can agree on the details. Not exective action.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 31 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Member states will have no say.

You don’t seem to understand the concept of democracy.

Ursula von der Leyen was the European Council’s only nominee for the Presidency. Parliament had to vote her in. When she was Germany’s defence minister she was a disaster.

Fighter jets and helicopters that don’t fly. Ships and submarines that can’t sail. Severe shortages of everything from ammunition to underwear.
-the army’s standard-issue assault rifle, Heckler & Koch’s G36 scrapped after discovering that the gun misses its target if it’s too hot.

In that scenario the ‘economies of scale’ argument leaves the whole of Europe defenceless.

Besides, the EU Army would spend more time quelling ‘revolt’. It’s hard to get the Hungarian army to batter its people and politicians into line, but you can send the North Western battalion to restore your “democracy” because those soldiers have no affinity with Magyars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:33 - 31 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Economies of scale...

How many civil servants was it on >€500,000 a year?

EU bureaucracy can destroy value quicker than the member states can create it.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:53 - 31 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all good going for a single platform until you realise that single platform is now a generic thing that has made a load of compromises in it's design so the single platform can do everything barely tolerably rather than building something that fits the particular environment.

A good example is the Gripen and the Typhoon. The Typhoon will be fucking great in a dog fight and has been rated suitably for ground support but has a heavy support requirement including dedicated airfields.

The Gripen isn't as good where a dogfight is concerned, I'm unsure of it's ground support ability but if Typhoon can, it can, but it can be supported by mobile technicians and can operate out of any suitably long piece of tarmac.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:56 - 31 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not entirely sure why we built the Typhoon, It was a prime bit of Eurofuckery too. Supposed to be a multinational European collaboration/project that contributors gradually pulled out of.

It's a banging interceptor right enough, I'm just not sure an interceptor is really what we needed but presumably enough of the collaberators convinced themselves that's what they wanted. We need a few interceptors to chase Bears out of the North Atlantic but you could do that with a 1950's fast jet, any multirole fast jet capable of carrying an air-to-air missile would be up to the job. You could turn one around with a Hawk.

I still think what we needed for the UK was effectively a Harrier reboot. Same idea, same field deployment ability, more everything else.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 23:13 - 31 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Nobody wants to double the 27 armies.

You say nobody wants to double their armies but what you're proposing is that countries give away control of their military!

NATO members are meant to spend a minimum of 2% of their GDP on defence to continue to ensure the Alliance's military readiness. If countries don't have control of their own military forces, do you think that could complicate the Alliance's military readiness?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 23:39 - 31 Jan 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harrier wasn't supersonic. For that matter the design brief for F35 didn't include supersonic and thats why it keeps breaking it's invisibility when it goes supersonic.

An interceptor needs to be fucking quick. Thats what Typhoon was designed as and does. German, Italian, Spanish and British. Qatar, Austria, Oman, Kuwait and Saudia bought it as well.

Interceptors are to shoot down bombers flying in from Russia, dogfighting is a bonus, so you want them in the air and shooting them down as quickly as possible.

Harrier and F35 don't meet that metric.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:20 - 01 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Val wrote:
Nobody wants to double the 27 armies.

You say nobody wants to double their armies but what you're proposing is that countries give away control of their military!

NATO members are meant to spend a minimum of 2% of their GDP on defence to continue to ensure the Alliance's military readiness. If countries don't have control of their own military forces, do you think that could complicate the Alliance's military readiness?

And can't deploy until the EU parliament gives them the go-ahead. Russia would take Europe with three men and a pointy stick.

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 08 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said before, What would an EU army be doing about Ukraine?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:13 - 08 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:

Making the situation worse.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 09 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhinso wrote:

Nothing. EU army will be part of NATO. NATO is doing nothing about Ukraine.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 09 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
NATO is doing nothing about Ukraine.

LMAO! That's the daftest thing you've ever posted.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:59 - 09 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:

NATO may not be doing anything in Ukraine but it has deployed a lot more troops closer to the boarder between Russia and NATO countries because of Ukraine.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:05 - 09 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Val wrote:

NATO may not be doing anything in Ukraine but it has deployed a lot more troops closer to the boarder between Russia and NATO countries because of Ukraine.

One more reason to have EU army doing the same innit?

I mean realisticly it will take 5 to 10 years until all needed EU laws changes are done and the actual army is created. Until then the Ukraine war should be won by Ukraine with the help of west.

Unless Trump wins, leaves NATO and betray Europe. Then EU army will need to be created much faster.

Val
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 09 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Val wrote:

LMAO! That's the daftest thing you've ever posted.

Last time I have checked NATO is refusing to have any involvement with the war

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:18 - 09 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Last time I have checked NATO is refusing to have any involvement with the war

Oh, so now you're changing the subject from "Ukraine" to "The War in Ukraine." Wink

https://www.google.com/search?q=nato+ukraine seems to turn up quite a few results!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 12:44 - 09 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
EU army will be part of NATO.

Why would NATO want that when 22 EU countries are already members?

Why would NATO want to deal with layers of EU bureaucracy?

bhinso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 09 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, what exactly does 'divident' mean?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 09 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

So according to Val it is important that those soldiers shuffling about near the border wear the EU brand, not NATO badges, and the decisive, military and financial might of the USA isn’t wanted. Where’s the advantage?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:31 - 11 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Val wrote:
Unless Trump wins, leaves NATO and betray Europe. Then EU army will need to be created much faster.

"Trump says he would 'encourage' Russia to attack Nato allies who do not pay their bills"

https://i.imgur.com/5eb5xlm.png

Donald Trump has said he would "encourage" Russia to attack any Nato member that fails to pay its bills as part of the Western military alliance.

At a rally on Saturday, he said he had once told a leader he would not protect a nation behind on its payments, and would "encourage" the aggressors to "do whatever the hell they want".

Members of Nato commit to defend any nation in the bloc that gets attacked.

The White House called the comments "appalling and unhinged".

Addressing crowds during the rally in South Carolina, Mr Trump said he had made his comments about Russia during a meeting of leaders of Nato countries.

He recalled that the leader of a "big country" had presented a hypothetical situation in which he was not meeting his financial obligations within Nato and had come under attack from Moscow.

Mr Trump said the leader had asked if the US would come to his country's aid in that scenario, which prompted him to issue a rebuke.

"I said: 'You didn't pay? You're delinquent?'... 'No I would not protect you, in fact I would encourage them to do whatever they want. You gotta pay.'"

A White House spokesman said the former president was "encouraging invasions of our closest allies by murderous regimes", and labelled the comments "appalling and unhinged".

He added that the statement "endangers American national security, global stability and our economy at home".

Mr Trump, the favourite to run again as the Republican candidate in this year's US presidential election, has long been critical of Nato and what he sees as an excessive financial burden on the United States to guarantee the defence of 30 other nations.

Russia launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022, after Mr Trump left office. He has since bemoaned the amount of US money sent to Ukraine, which is not a Nato member.

The US has provided Ukraine with more financial support than any other country - totalling more than $44bn (£34bn) since the 2022 invasion, according to White House figures from December.

However, Republicans in Congress have since the turn of the year blocked all new funding - demanding tough measures to restrict migration into the US on its southern border, and then refusing the amended bill when it was presented earlier this week.

Mr Trump celebrated that rejection during Saturday's rally, saying the proposals made by President Biden had been "disastrous".

The two issues have now been successfully separated, meaning that senators are now able to debate the aid money separately.

https://i.imgur.com/tKBiZSh.jpeg

Sauce.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:09 - 11 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reasonable. Very Happy

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:13 - 11 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Reasonable. Very Happy

If it was a simple business transaction; money for services. It’s an interesting insight into how Trump thinks.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:55 - 11 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
It’s an interesting insight into how Trump thinks.

It's an interesting insight into how desperate the mainstream media are.

"You don't pay, why should we defend you, do I look like a charity case to you?"

Translates to:

"Trump encourages Russia to attack NATO members!"

Inductive logic Sad

Still, it's the same Trump theme of reducing spending on external conflicts the USA has no business getting involved with. The man is pure evil!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:11 - 11 Feb 2024    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I said: 'You didn't pay? You're delinquent?'... 'No I would not protect you, in fact I would encourage them to do whatever they want. You gotta pay.'"
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13