Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CB750 wallow on high speed sweepers or bumps

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:14 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: CB750 wallow on high speed sweepers or bumps Reply with quote

On my 96 CB750...
On high speed turns (100+) the bike tends to develop what I believe is called wallow,wherim the rear end seems to lean up and down, although sometimes looking at the front end it looks it it's the culprit weaving left and right slightly.

First I thought it was the square tyres and old shocks, now replaced with BT32 and mid range YSS with default preload and rebound in the center. Forks are from a CBR F3 dropped 1cm as they were longer than stock, the bike turns quite sharply and it was a big improvement compared to stock.

At the same time I refit the useless screen due to a cross country trip.

The wallow is still there, either when leaning at high speeds, or at lower speeds (80-90) if a slight bump is hit (those shallow things going across motorways for e.g.).

It's not an uncontrollable tank slapper, but it's not confidence inspiring and a bit butt clenching. I am going to try removing the screen before my next run but do you recon it's just a limitation of the bike/twin shock, bad setup or the screen?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:39 - 27 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 25 year old UJM, which was probably based on very similar underpinnings to your '81 CB, how good do you expect it to be?

It certainly won't be a patch on your Kwak, but it was never designed to be, it was meant to be a cheap allrounder and the passage of a quarter of a century won't have improved things.

If you want to go mad, replace every chassis bearing and bush you can think of, but you will still be left with a relatively flexible frame and swing arm.

Or just live with it and enjoy the excitement of high speed wobbles, just like we all did back then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:55 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest,
https://funerals.reassured.co.uk/funeral-4?product_id=2&channel_id=3&advertiser_id=9497ff66-d65e-4275-8dc4-a5dce624b280&campaignid=2037998309&adgroupid=77348804815&creative=377949831986&keyword=funeral%20cover&matchtype=e&targetid=kwd-2710391916&gclid=Cj0KCQjw18WKBhCUARIsAFiW7Jx2zMA0oRbAXQosLjF1hM2HrnJjbukynVKnMHbxiiU1w59iaAG4HkkaAs4bEALw_wcB

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:15 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spension/Head Bearings/Shite tyres/Wallowed road.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:21 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
It's a 25 year old UJM, which was probably based on very similar underpinnings to your '81 CB, how good do you expect it to be?

It certainly won't be a patch on your Kwak, but it was never designed to be, it was meant to be a cheap allrounder and the passage of a quarter of a century won't have improved things.

If you want to go mad, replace every chassis bearing and bush you can think of, but you will still be left with a relatively flexible frame and swing arm.

Or just live with it and enjoy the excitement of high speed wobbles, just like we all did back then.

Ahah yeah that's the kind of answer I was looking for, I wanted to know if there's something that might need fixing, or if it's just a limitation of design, which is fine.It is quite exciting Laughing

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

id try lifting the forks back up that 1cm, just to see how it affects the wobble.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:43 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that if you go under the bridge on the Keynsham bypass at 145 then the bike will pogo round the bend but that's because of the big dip in the road.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recent MoT ? If not I'd check wheel bearings and S/A bushes..

mind you not sure how many 100mph corners I tackle these days..

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:36 - 28 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

All steel framed bikes do this.

stevo123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:39 - 29 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned already there will be some frame flex to blame. You could adjust rear rebound damping a bit higher and see if it helps you as well if you have luxury.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:14 - 02 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for advice Very Happy
Mot a month ago, I had bearings checked too and no play.
I think removing the screen helped it, not sure if because it was applying pressure to the handlebars...or because without it I go much slower. B roads are much better but A and M, damn pain in the neck Laughing

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the springing and damping modified on the forks when fitted, I imagine the CB750 is a bit heavier?

If not this could be amplified by the rear end working correctly with the new tyres and YSS shock.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:05 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the use of a 1990s Suzuki 750 in South Africa.
Tons of grunt but hopeless in a corner.
Auld bikes were only made for straight roads I think.

Bru
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:51 - 07 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GPX600 makes its own bends, the twitchy little bastard.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:34 - 10 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:
Was the springing and damping modified on the forks when fitted, I imagine the CB750 is a bit heavier?

If not this could be amplified by the rear end working correctly with the new tyres and YSS shock.

Yeah 30kg heavier, I thought the CBR forks would require new springs too, but after the conversion the forks became similar to my CB400 with aftermarket springs, my assumption was it had heavier springs in already.

Bru wrote:
My GPX600 makes its own bends, the twitchy little bastard.

Laughing

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:50 - 11 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will have to change that default setting on your new shocks. Do they have enough travel to be able to do their job, is the spring rate suitable and available to you, and what about rebound damping. Cornering at over 100mph is asking a lot. Dave Moss has a lot of material on this stuff. Personally, I would just play with it, set preload so there's 30-ish cm static sag, then see if there's an improvement 2 clicks in or 2 clicks out on the rebound adjuster(s). From there, fine tune

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:59 - 11 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
I think you will have to change that default setting on your new shocks. Do they have enough travel to be able to do their job, is the spring rate suitable and available to you, and what about rebound damping. Cornering at over 100mph is asking a lot. Dave Moss has a lot of material on this stuff. Personally, I would just play with it, set preload so there's 30-ish cm static sag, then see if there's an improvement 2 clicks in or 2 clicks out on the rebound adjuster(s). From there, fine tune

Thanks, the bike felt so much better than stock in the twisties that I didn't bother with settings beyond def or sag Rolling Eyes , I'll try measuring it and playing with the settings a bit next time I take it out Very Happy

chriscrane
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:46 - 23 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest https://www.quotemeless.co.uk/funeral-plans

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 23 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chriscrane wrote:

Copy cat Rolling Eyes Read the script / replies.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 23 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirFallalot wrote:

Thanks, the bike felt so much better than stock in the twisties that I didn't bother with settings beyond def or sag Rolling Eyes , I'll try measuring it and playing with the settings a bit next time I take it out Very Happy

been there done that ..... took the honda to some one who knows what he is doin.. cost £50 .. but stopped it wallowing round corners and sweepers with undulations...

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:27 - 23 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
chriscrane wrote:

Copy cat Rolling Eyes Read the script / replies.

It takes a lot of reading to get to the third post Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 156 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1