View previous topic : View next topic  

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:44 - 29 Sep 2021    Post subject: CFmoto, who? Reply with quote

Yer yer , I know I’m behind the times Crying or Very sad

However enlighten me please?
I was wandering around YouTube and found this,
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BMUqyYd4ax4

I thought that CFmoto were manufactures/importers of little Chinese 125’s with a few single 400cc’s ??

Are Chinese built bikes about to start appearing on racing grids?
Are we witnessing history repeating itself? ie how the Japanese started off in the sixties?

Or is this just someone going off on a tangent?

stevo123
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:37 - 29 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure the 44Teeth lads are participating in this. I assumed CF Moto were sponsors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 29 Sep 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone local in a wheelchair has a big orange quad bike from them it seems OK, I think it's 800cc
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:00 - 01 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully CFMoto didn't make any of the mission critical bits... I've worked on a few Chinese shitters fitted with their engines, and they really did have to be seen to be believed. By way of an example, I fixed a Honda clone engine from a YY250 scooter by fitting a 50000 mile Honda camshaft in place of the shagged 4000 mile Wensleydale original that had gone through the white metalling.

I wouldn't ride to the end of the road at 5mph on anything that had their name on the tank.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:53 - 03 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like be be open minded when it comes to new brands.
There are a few China riders around here and from what I’ve seen, the newer Chinese bikes appear to be good bikes (for what they are, 125 & 250cc).
My Honley (Zongshen RX3) isn’t bad, I’ve had worse.

We used to have someone on here who had a bigger CFMOTO bike and he loved it.

Are we still at the stage where Chinese is a by-word for shit or have things moved on ??

Are Japanese bikes the only way to go if you’re buying an oriental bike?
I personally don’t think so.
My mighty Hyosung GT250r (not Chinese, it’s Korean) has been a great bike and I’m keeping it.
I’m not sure I’d want to race it though Shocked Shocked Laughing

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:07 - 03 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Linuxyeti. He had the 650 plus other Chinese crap and used to get very upset if you used said term. Laughing

He seems to have disappeared.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:43 - 03 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Linuxyeti. He had the 650 plus other Chinese crap and used to get very upset if you used said term. Laughing

He seems to have disappeared.

Hmm? I think I can guess what camp your boots are in Laughing Laughing

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
I like be be open minded when it comes to new brands.
There are a few China riders around here and from what I’ve seen, the newer Chinese bikes appear to be good bikes (for what they are, 125 & 250cc).
My Honley (Zongshen RX3) isn’t bad, I’ve had worse.

Are we still at the stage where Chinese is a by-word for shit or have things moved on ??

I personally don’t think so.
My mighty Hyosung GT250r (not Chinese, it’s Korean) has been a great bike and I’m keeping it.
I’m not sure I’d want to race it though Shocked Shocked Laughing

I actually like my little Chinese 125.

I think it's done well, I've put thousands of miles on it in it's first year and rode it through a winter as a daily commuter. If I am honest, I think the hardware (specifically bolts and fasteners) should have had a better coating or could have been made of stainless for pennies more. That's it though. It's quite a charming little bike, I got a new appreciation for it when I had to ride it again after my ER6F was out of action for a while.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:15 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iirc there's an 800(-ish) twin lump in an adventure styled bike on the way from CFMoto - apparently it's already being sold in Australia (and presumably other markets). One source said the warranty is going to be quite generous - three years, or something. All in with the ticket price.

The engine is something to do with KTM - guessing some sort of derivation of their 790. Again, this would need checking, but I believe CFMoto plants and tooling etc. manufacture the KTM790 (now 890?). The CRMoto 800 adventure or whatever it is also comes with full ally luggage - three cases. One suggested price came in an appreciative chunk cheaper than the Triumph Tiger.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:56 - 05 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
Iirc there's an 800(-ish) twin lump in an adventure styled bike on the way from CFMoto - apparently it's already being sold in Australia (and presumably other markets). One source said the warranty is going to be quite generous - three years, or something. All in with the ticket price.

The engine is something to do with KTM - guessing some sort of derivation of their 790. Again, this would need checking, but I believe CFMoto plants and tooling etc. manufacture the KTM790 (now 890?). The CRMoto 800 adventure or whatever it is also comes with full ally luggage - three cases. One suggested price came in an appreciative chunk cheaper than the Triumph Tiger.

One of the biggest problems with Chinese bikes is they haven't (hadn't?) got a dealer network so the people selling them weren't interested once the bikes were out the door. You can have a 20 year warranty but it's not worth jack shit if you can't get someone to do the work. Like a lot of name brand things, it's not just the name you are paying over the odds for.

I got bit early on with Chinese crap bikes. I bought my son one when he was 17 thinking it was cheap and wouldn't matter too much if he bent it. The one thing I didn't expect was the drive chain to snap and put him in hospital with a mangled leg. A chain snapping on a probably 10hp 125. Evil or Very Mad

I don't care how good they have become and I know it's probably idiotic but I would probably never buy another Chinese motorbike. (Except for maybe a Benelli Tornado as I think they look great with the underseat cooling fans Laughing ).

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:59 - 05 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

One of the biggest problems with Chinese bikes is they haven't (hadn't?) got a dealer network.

This ^+1 so much this.
I genuinely believe that ANY motorcycle brand from wherever MUST have support from dealers and the manufacturers if they are going to be a success.

Even if the original product is good, it will eventually need service and support.
No support network = no second sale and a bad reputation.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:21 - 05 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Not at all... I've run a couple of Daelims down the years, they were OK but at the time there was effectively no dealer network and therefore no spares, which was a bit of a ballache as you'd struggle to get even basic servicing parts.. I believe that situation has changed in recent years though.

A mate of mine had a Malaysian step thru for a while (Manja? A Honda Wave clone anyway) and that was reliable enough. And a mate's son used to deliver pizzas on a Taiwan Golden Bee, that's a thing with a single seat and a massive heated box on the back. The only failure I know of with that was seizure due to operator error (pizza riders don't know where the dipstick is, apparently). A top end kit cost about the same as two pizzas, though, and it's still going.

Based on mine and friends' (and friends' offspring) experience I avoid Chinese stuff like the plague. All I ever hear is people telling me that they've come on a lot in the last few years - people seem to have been saying this for the last 20 or so - but I doubt it. Last year I rode over to see a mate of mine in North Wales, there was a really fucked up looking Sinnis 125 round the side of his shed... apparently a kid had ridden past and broken down (my mate lives in the middle of nowhere). The lad rang someone to pick him up and asked if he could leave it there for a couple of days. Three months later it was still there. The thing was five years old and looked like it had been in the sea for most of that time. Every bit of rubber on it was perished and cracked, the frame was red rusty, fork stanchions pitted and leaking etc. etc. Even if it hadn't been broken it would have been worth sod all. In the end he took a gas axe to it and weighed it in.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:48 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowly taking over the world Shocked
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aWmI3wAxFN0

Prawny
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 14:07 - 15 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Saw a motors for the masses YouTube video of that. Part of it anyway.

Looks a nice bike, more powerful than the Er6 engine it’s copied from according to the specs.

Only thing that puts me off (other than the unknown quality) is the mudguard/tail assembly. I think it looks cool, but I reckon you’d end up with a massive brown stripe up you back on the way to work.

slowasyoulike
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:57 - 15 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:

Same old, same old innit... "improving every year"... "looks like something that costs more"... I'd be more interested in hearing what matey thinks when (if) he's done 20000 miles on it.

I'm more than happy to be proven wrong; ATEOTD the availability of more cheap, capable 2nd hand bikes would please me greatly but I'm not holding my breath.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 15 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw one at Seaways this week and tbh, looked decent. Gary Johnson sponsors 44 teeth on them and they get decent results in supertwins

OGR

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:04 - 16 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

CfMoto already manufacture the LC8c engine for KTM.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 182 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1