BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Angle grinder proof D/U lock

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:39 - 01 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show me how it resists a diamond cutting disc. They are less than £4 to buy and I've cut mild steel, stainless steel
ceramic and and cast iron with them with little or no wear to the disc.
https://www.toolstation.com/general-purpose-concrete-stone-diamond-blade/p21172?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:28 - 01 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

EuropeanNC30Rider wrote:
It’s not the first time they’ve done it, iirc.

Yeah, that's how they launched the Hiplock and I totally get that because they were a brand new company then and they didn't have any reputation to trade on.

Them doing it now makes me wonder why, I mean their goal of £20k has been reached in one day and they've actually got £80k so I don't know. Laughing It must be something to do with extra publicity even if they'd have got the same publicity from approaching cycling weekly, road.cc, etc etc etc.

Quote:
Spend £1000s on a 'weight weeny' push-bike to save the last gram then spend £200 more on a 2kg lock which you have to carry around with you..

You can blame bike thieves for that because it's insurance companies who specify what rating locking you have to use to lock up your several grand pushbike.

Ayrton
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:44 - 01 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes sense to do a Kickstarter and get your customers to fund everything instead of paying for it yourself. I wonder what they will do with all the extra money now it's passed £20k though, since it's already finished development.

Looks like a good lock, but I cant see how you could use it effectively on a motorbike without having to also use a chain or use it as a fancy wheel lock? No tests seem to mention the key yet either so it would be interesting to see how secure that is.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 01 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Show me how it resists a diamond cutting disc. They are less than £4 to buy and I've cut mild steel, stainless steel
ceramic and and cast iron with them with little or no wear to the disc.
https://www.toolstation.com/general-purpose-concrete-stone-diamond-blade/p21172?

That's exactly what I was thinking when I watched this.. why aren't any of the testers using a diamond cut-off wheel?

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:06 - 02 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll get through any lock, diamond wheel, hydraulic ram, oxy acetalyene torch, wait for the owner to arrive and throw acid in their face and snatch the keys.

The aim is to slow them down, make it noisy, or force the casual scrote to covet somebody else's shiny. They don't seek confrontation and want to do the deed quick and easy. Higher value bikes they'll risk a bit more time and effort, but the risk to reward ratio is what they're weighing up ultimately.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 178 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2