Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

quick opinions on the 955 Sprint (injection)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 02 Oct 2021    Post subject: quick opinions on the 955 Sprint (injection) Reply with quote

Anyone owned or even ridden a 955 - specifically the EFI iteration?

Just wanted some info and opinions on these bikes.

They're not my first choice - or even my tenth. But you what it's like - one comes up cheap in good nick locally and you think, hmmm. Maybe.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:04 - 02 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not ridden one but from what I’ve heard from a previous riding buddy who owned one was they tend to have electrical problems.

Irezumi
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 09:01 - 03 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good turbine of an engine, gearbox is a bit stiff. Agricultural is an apt word.

All day comfortable (ST model). A fairly chunky wallowy bus though. Brakes even rebuilt with braided lines were ok at best. I found it good for long distance A-B rides, hard work and dangerous if you got it wrong for fun twisty stuff.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 03 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two. (1st one Id had from new until I binned it.)
2nd was used. Same model.

Replaced ignition coils at early miles on both.
1 on the new one and two on the used one.
Water ingress it the culprit.
Starter Sprag clutch early miles warranty.
And the single swing arm chain adjustment design is a massive kunt.
If you don't phaph with it every other month it will seize in the swing arm.
To fix it's a massive strip down.

And parts are relatively expensive and rare as rocking horse manure too.

I've owned BMW since and not had as many stupid issues. Unless I'm mellowing/giving up the fight with dealers and OEMs the bastirts.

Performance wise they work well and sound well. Something like 120 hp (can't bearded looking that up.)

But my BMWs out shine the shit outta the trumpets.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:00 - 03 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Tiger 955i which I presume is the same engine. Never had any issues while I had it and is one of only a few bikes I have owned I regretted getting rid of but that was because it was so comfy.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:23 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Good to know - this local bike is actually an RS though, not the ST. I think the swing arm is a more conventional two sided effort. Apparently is lighter because of that (!).

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:38 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
MCN wrote:

Good to know - this local bike is actually an RS though, not the ST. I think the swing arm is a more conventional two sided effort. Apparently is lighter because of that (!).

Yes, the dual sided swinging arms are pretty much always lighter. The Single sided models need to expend a lot of weight in preventing any twisting action which is not a problem on a dual sided one.

The Sprint RS have been dirt cheap for years, which is a shame as they are good bikes. Strong grunty engine, solid handling, good brakes. They are a touch on the heavy side, but I reckon they should compare favourably to a VFR800fi. Triumphs do have the odd electrical gremlin, but it's not like KTM where an electrical issue is expected and usually disastrous. They are good bikes, and if you can find a good one for decent money you'll probably find it does what you want and you can probably have a bit of fun on it too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:47 - 05 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was very close to buying a 955i daytona before but read enough of snapped cranks and destroyed sprag clutches from starting with not enough volts. The one I went to see had its RR burned out too. Although hard to determine exactly how prevalent those issues are.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:36 - 05 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
I was very close to buying a 955i daytona before but read enough of snapped cranks and destroyed sprag clutches from starting with not enough volts. The one I went to see had its RR burned out too. Although hard to determine exactly how prevalent those issues are.

Not very. Snapped crank is not a thing. The sprag clutch affects very early ones but the later 955i badged ones and the Sprint family don't have the same problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:12 - 06 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I

Whilst stripping it put about a can of spray on PTFE on the drum. It'll never seize again.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:48 - 06 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
MCN wrote:
I

Whilst stripping it put about a can of spray on PTFE on the drum. It'll never seize again.

Its a shite design.
Aluminininiuim and steel pals Cooncil salt and water.
Corrosion cell.
Proper sealing of the hub in the swing arm would help.
I got shot of the hoowur so it's someone else's hassle now.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 21:23 - 06 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't moved mine for about 2 years, a combination of scotoiler and covid.

Tried it today.Had no issues.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 173 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1