Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pandora Papers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:42 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Pandora Papers Reply with quote

Nice to see the Labour holier than thou party aren't quite as holy as they seem..

Tony and Cherie Blair did not have to pay £312,000 in stamp duty when buying a £6.45m London townhouse, leaked documents show.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58780559

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:36 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is a hypocrite of the first water...

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:19 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A guy named in those papers, involved in a $220 million bribe, donated £500,000 to the conservative party! .. I wonder what he gets out of that?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:38 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiwiBob wrote:
donated £500,000 to the conservative party! .. I wonder what he gets out of that?

As it so happens, a few days ago the BBC had an article about what people get for their donations.

Conservatives: Who funds them, and what's in it for them?

Welcome to the One Million Pound Club.

To make the top ten donors to the Conservative Party since Boris Johnson became prime minister, you need to have stumped up a seven figure sum.

At the top of the chart, by a considerable margin, the providers of one of the most memorable political images of the last few years.

Boris Johnson at the wheel of a JCB, a polystyrene wall smashed, his 'Get Brexit Done' slogan in the mechanical shovel.

JC Bamford Excavators Limited has given just over £2.5m in the last two years. Lord Bamford, the chairman of the family owned company, has personally given £100,000 since 2010, when the Conservatives returned to government. He became a Conservative peer in 2013.

I've been trying to find out what motivates people to give money to the Conservative Party, how do they choose how much to give and how do they measure if it is worth it?

Incidentally, I put all these questions to JCB, but Lord Bamford didn't want to talk to me. That, of course, is his prerogative - what he chooses to do with his own money is his own business.

But collectively, these are important questions to explore - for they offer an insight into how our governing party is bankrolled, and by whom.

It is also a window into the world of the super-rich, what motivates them to donate, and the context of some stark and big numbers you might occasionally read about.

So who is willing to talk publicly?

"It is a perfectly reasonable thing to ask about."

Meet Alasdair Locke, a veteran of the shipping and oil and gas industries, and a multimillionaire.

"They will put you in everything you want," he says, when I ask what he gets in return.

Mr Locke has agreed to talk to me on the record, where others said they would speak to me, but only if I protect their identity.

He has donated £280,000 to the Conservative Party since Boris Johnson became prime minister.

Electoral Commission rules mean any donation over £7,500 to a party has to be reported by that party, and the figure and the donor will be published.

"I can get access via the Leaders Group. It is usually senior ministers and 15 or 20 people. Sometimes in person. Sometimes on Zoom. The last thing I attended was a lunch with Michael Gove in July. It was all donors who were there."

To become a member of the Leaders Group, you have to have donated £50,000 in the last year.

Two to three lunches a week are arranged, to which around a dozen donors are invited.

Groups don't tend to be bigger than this, to ensure all those who turn up get a chance to feel part of something that isn't impersonal.

Some donors are very regular attendees, others don't come to any.

Does this amount to buying access, and influence?

"It is interesting, but I'm not sure we are that influential. Politicking doesn't really interest or excite me. I would reckon I do get heard, but I don't expect it to be acted upon," Mr Locke says.

"Politicians are always cautious, in any case. At the lunch with Michael Gove, I asked about trade relations with the US. There was no attempt by any of us to influence policy."

Mr Locke was drawn into political donations by a "strong conviction" for keeping Scotland in the United Kingdom.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-58721596

It's a long article so I haven't posted it all here.

I say it's a long article however I'm not really any the wiser as to what they actually get in return for their donations. Laughing

KiwiBob
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:58 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacob Rees-Mogg's wife is named too!

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does this amount to buying access, and influence?

"It is interesting, but I'm not sure we are that influential.

When you’re that loaded those amounts of money probably don’t seem much. If you win the lottery big-time you’re probably not going to send your niece a £20 book token for her birthday, even though that might have seemed very acceptable before.

It reminds me of;
Quote:
Marcus Rashford has donated £20m to charities,

Yes that’s generous, but he gets paid (I didn’t say ‘earned’) over £10 million per year (!), paid for by ordinary football mugs fans. Will he even miss it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:37 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiwiBob wrote:
Jacob Rees-Mogg's wife is named too!

And why is this a surprise to you?

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:35 - 07 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diggs wrote:
He is a hypocrite of the first water...

He's the ultimate Tory.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:56 - 07 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two to three lunches a week are arranged, to which around a dozen donors are invited.

Explains a few political waistlines. Rees Mogg must be doing the head down the toilet thing for afters though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 191 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1