Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Consumer rights and the CycleScheme

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:21 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Consumer rights and the CycleScheme Reply with quote

Does anyone know these two things interact? I have something I got on the CycleScheme but 7 months in and it's defective. Sent back to the retailer who in turn sent back to their supplier (a UK distributer, not the manufacturer) who claimed there's nothing wrong, but there clearly is. If I'd bought it myself, it'd be a shot across the bows with the Consumer Rights Act 2015 which is usually sufficient to make a retailer realise I'm serious, but am I actually "the consumer" in this situation, or is it actually my employer or even CycleScheme?

I've tried googling this and haven't really found anything conclusive.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 11:26 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly stating the obvious but have you phoned the Cyclescheme people to see what they have to say?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did, they're a bit hopeless though. However, thinking about it, a consumer is the person who buys the goods. The journey with cyclescheme is the employer pays cyclescheme the value of the products, cyclescheme then generate a voucher which they send to the employee (me) and I then use that to purchase the goods. To my mind, this would make me the consumer as I've exchanged a method of payment for goods? The only slight issue is the hire agreement states the products belong to the employer while in the hire period . . .

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:21 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on teh fault it often quicker/simpler just to fix it yourself.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:45 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

This is an Ortlieb "100% waterproof" bag which is more like a colander. I could attempt to fix it with slathering silicone everywhere, but I'd rather they sorted it - it wasn't cheap!

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
A100man wrote:

This is an Ortlieb "100% waterproof" bag which is more like a colander. I could attempt to fix it with slathering silicone everywhere, but I'd rather they sorted it - it wasn't cheap!

Oh right.. tricky one especially if the manufacturer doesn't (!) admit fault.

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Last edited by A100man on 15:40 - 04 Oct 2021; edited 1 time in total

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:10 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
it wasn't cheap!

Just looked them up. Holy mac n cheese balls Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:25 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

arry wrote:
ThunderGuts wrote:
it wasn't cheap!

Just looked them up. Holy mac n cheese balls Shocked

Yeah I know, but it gets used twice a day every day of the week to carry my stuff to and from work - plus on the scheme there's a tax saving so not full price. Still, it's not cheap and at that price point I expect quality!

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:27 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those bags are meant to be submersible aren't they?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:38 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Those bags are meant to be submersible aren't they?

As good as. When a marketing statement says "100% waterproof" and even the bag has a "Waterproof" mark on it, I expect it to handle a 40 minute cycle in the rain.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 13:49 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of their bags are IP67 rated and some of them aren't. IP67 rating means it's submersible in 1 meter of water for something like half an hour.

You say it's more like a colander than being 100% waterproof, the UK distributor say there's nothing wrong with it and I'm guessing that the simple way to test an IP67 rated bag is to submerge it and see if it leaks.

With that in mind, maybe it's worth speaking to the UK distributor ( https://lyon.co.uk/cycle/ortlieb-cycle ) directly to see if something has been lost in communications or there's the possibility that you're making an embarrassingly basic and obvious n00b error and if that's the case then please could they give you some tips or advice on how to make the bag work properly.

Thumbs Up

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:05 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Some of their bags are IP67 rated and some of them aren't. IP67 rating means it's submersible in 1 meter of water for something like half an hour.

You say it's more like a colander than being 100% waterproof, the UK distributor say there's nothing wrong with it and I'm guessing that the simple way to test an IP67 rated bag is to submerge it and see if it leaks.

With that in mind, maybe it's worth speaking to the UK distributor ( https://lyon.co.uk/cycle/ortlieb-cycle ) directly to see if something has been lost in communications or there's the possibility that you're making an embarrassingly basic and obvious n00b error and if that's the case then please could they give you some tips or advice on how to make the bag work properly.

Thumbs Up

The bag came back directly from that distributor with a note saying "no fault found". The leak occurred along where the exterior loops are sewn into the bag, but only there - it's definitely not an operator error! It's idiot proof to use anyway, only way to not seal it would be to ram it so full of stuff you couldn't roll the top down, but that wasn't the case.

Just checked the blurb; apparently it's IP64, but cycling in the rain easily falls within "splashes from all directions" standard. It does say it must be rolled over 3-4 times to satisfy this, but it was.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:04 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their note says no fault found but we've no idea what the shop told them.

I'd give them a call to ask for their help and advice about how to stop there being a leak along where the exterior loops are sewn into the bag.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:50 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could just get a more.waterproof bag for 30.quid.and save yourself hassle over an accessory which came with you cycle.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:51 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not an accessory that came with the bike, it's a £100+ bag.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:56 - 04 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 05 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some further info; apparently they tested it by filling it with water and suspending it for a day to see if it leaked but apparently not. Neutral I find it bizarre that it didn't, although it is the reverse of how it's designed to hold water so I guess possible the seals might hold against internal water but not external. I will stuff it with some old shirts or something tonight, roll close it and shower it in the bath and see what happens.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:55 - 05 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderGuts wrote:
Got some further info; apparently they tested it by filling it with water and suspending it for a day to see if it leaked but apparently not. Neutral I find it bizarre that it didn't, although it is the reverse of how it's designed to hold water so I guess possible the seals might hold against internal water but not external. I will stuff it with some old shirts or something tonight, roll close it and shower it in the bath and see what happens.

if water can't get out, then it can't get in unles is a special mebrane thats designed like that and they've made the bag inside out.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 174 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1