BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Grunge bands

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:04 - 06 Oct 2021    Post subject: Grunge bands Reply with quote

Recommendations please, want to check out this genre further. Guitars up front stuff preferably. Cheers.

EDIT: THE OPINIONS I GIVE ON ANY SUGGESTIONS POSTED ARE JUST THAT - MY OWN OPINIONS, SUBJECT TO MY OWN MUSICAL TASTE, GOOD, BAD, OR INDIFFERENT IN ANYBODY ELSE'S EYES. IT DOESN'T MEAN I THINK YOU'RE SOME KIND OF TWAT FOR LIKING THE MUSIC YOU LIKE! I might, however, think you're some kind of twat if you get all uppity about it all Wink Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Last edited by chickenstrip on 14:43 - 09 Oct 2021; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:11 - 06 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

To kick you off ....The Melvins https://youtu.be/Py2fG-NgfkA

I don't want to hear if you like them or not...I don't give a sh1t Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:17 - 06 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

I don't want to hear if you like them or not...I don't give a sh1t Very Happy

I judge people by the content of their character, not their taste in grunge bands Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 15:46 - 06 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally am a big fan of Paw, but I also like L7, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots and some more Grunge adjacent bands like Soundgarden, Alice in Chains etc. Some people say they are grunge, some not? It's a difficult one as the narrow categorisation of music like that is divisive.

Also if you like grunge, it's worth checking out a little subgenre called 'Stoner rock' or 'Desert rock'. It's something I've just recently discovered in the last few years, and bands like Kyuss, Nebula, Fu Manchu etc.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:23 - 06 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not actually sure what a grunge band is, so I shall follow this thread with interest, in the hopes of discovering whether I like grunge or not Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:46 - 06 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Pat and MarJay, will check out all recommendations.
I heard a Soundgarden track the other day and quite liked it, having never knowingly heard their stuff before, and this is what made me think I might be missing out on something I might like. Pearl Jam I know and like.
Grunge/garage bands with emphasis on the guitar sounds let's say, towards the rock end of the spectrum. Don't be shy in mentioning stuff if you think everyone should already know about it, cos I think I've really missed out on some big names as well as lesser known stuff.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:47 - 06 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nirvana made it more mainstream, and are definitely grunge-ish.
Pearl Jam, Chilly Peppers and Faith no More are sort of there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:49 - 06 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
Nirvana made it more mainstream, and are definitely grunge-ish.
Pearl Jam, Chilly Peppers and Faith no More are sort of there.

Nirvana yup, although I should probably listen to more than a best of collection.
Chilli Peppers I only know "Dani California" which I like a lot. Is this track representative of their work, cos somehow I got an idea it wasn't?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 06 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where would people class Foo Fighters, whose work I know well?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:58 - 06 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Where would people class Foo Fighters, whose work I know well?

Foo Fighters are a bit more generic rock, but Grohl was made famous by being in Nirvana, so I'm sure it has plenty of grungy influences.

Personally with Nirvana I'd listen to Nevermind and skip the other albums. Pearl Jam: Ten is excellent, Soundgarden: Badmotorfinger and Superunknown, also not sure if it's grunge, but Therapy?'s album Troublegum is a similar era and also excellent.

Basically anything on the Road Rash 3DO soundtrack will see you right! Laughing (I jest, but it's a f'in great grunge compilation).

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 06 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder who else used to record Crusher on Raw Power/Noisy mothers as it was the only terrestrial TV you could see this stuff.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:05 - 06 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, does the category take in anything that might be considered more as punk? I always liked some of the 'traditional' punk bands like Sex Pistols, 999, SLF, Undertones, The Clash etc, and also some of the New Wave stuff that followed on from that, The Pretenders, Stranglers etc being notable. Thinking about a playlist of all these styles, they all seem to fit together quite well.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:08 - 06 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
I wonder who else used to record Crusher on Raw Power/Noisy mothers as it was the only terrestrial TV you could see this stuff.

I wonder if any YouTube channels have maybe picked up the gauntlet?

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:12 - 06 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it rocks yer girdle doesn't matter really.

Britney Spears Toxic is excellent as is Betty Boo Doin' the do.

An old friend (Dead Dave) likes Green River https://youtu.be/GcK4J_iOPGY

*He doesn't move much

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 06 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
doggone wrote:

I wonder if any YouTube channels have maybe picked up the gauntlet?

There some snippets on there Nine Inch Nails!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYgToqV9t0g

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:20 - 06 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, you know what I'm mainly into. Blues, heavy rock (not so much modern metal, but I'll dip in now and again, as long as it isn't outright screamy), classic rock, blues/rock. Good guitar playing is my thing, but sometimes just an overall sound does it for me. Just feel there's a bit of a gap in the grunge (and related) area that needs some filling/topping up.

Thrash is right out btw! Looking for something 'looser'.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:23 - 06 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Pat, you know what I'm mainly into. Blues, heavy rock (not so much modern metal, but I'll dip in now and again, as long as it isn't outright screamy), classic rock, blues/rock. Good guitar playing is my thing, but sometimes just an overall sound does it for me. Just feel there's a bit of a gap in the grunge (and related) area that needs some filling/topping up.

Then if you can get past the production of that Green River LP I think it'll tickle yer bits.

Play it real loud usually helps

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:25 - 06 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, production is another question. It can make or break.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:35 - 06 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's importance yet it's good to think about production as you would a gig.

Feedback flucking up the vocals...Bass player drunk and entering the chorus a bar to early.

Energy and the actual songs ...priceless.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:29 - 06 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but poor production can lose much of that energy. But you're right - turning it up loud helps! Very Happy

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 06 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily all grunge but people that like grunge tend to like this sort of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NZsCYOM4j0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vujMy_r5NsY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE5f561Y1x4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDMvN45sjo4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2K2hSB4fEU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kdnki7XBzPE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6dlgtH8ZtE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td5AqtSn9OU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmIqIVxUuKs

Of course the Alice in Chains unplugged:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EKi2E9dVY8&list=PLclODpQJhNz7vm19Ab3k31tUX7dncoup4&index=1

And for the stoner rock fans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01VjnTfpOC8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtrL4E9BVjE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGMeXeH2sqc

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:11 - 06 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pixies, surely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiUNDeuBbi8

to v or not to v
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:23 - 06 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

a Geordie lass i used to date a few years ago was in to that stuff, not sure if its grunge, but some of the noise she used to inflict on me included-

the Ramones
Greenday
Smashing pumpkins
Slipknot.

i remember she went to see slipknot live and got knocked out in the mosh pit quite early on.
that was a mercy blow if you ask me Mr. Green

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 07 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

great but definitely not grunge

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Andy Perrett This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 173 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5