BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Grunge bands

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 07 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable Tie, I really think you're picking at minor points. Are you telling me that every track a grunge band writes has this formula you're talking about? As an amateur musician myself, I think they'd pretty soon get tired of having to stick to rules. For me, and I think probably for most people, grunge is about an overall sound. But let's agree to disagree, that's ok. It's not worth an argument Smile

I'd be happier if you'd post some YouTube links to tracks from bands you like in the genre, or similar, see if there's anything I like there. How about a couple of your favourite Pixies tracks for e.g.? It doesn't really matter to me if your definition is different to mine or anybody else's. I'm sure you have an idea of the kinds of music we're talking about here.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:37 - 07 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:

Yes, really like this. Not my favourite vocalist but ok, but love the layered guitars which never quite descend to just a mess of noise, all seems to work well. Enough changes to hold the interest. Again, nice and powerful.

The Artist wrote:

Not my favourite of the ones you've posted, but it's ok. I like the heavier guitar parts.

The Artist wrote:

Can't decide about this one on a first listen. It doesn't repel me in any way, and I think I'd get into it hearing it a couple more times, but would be interested to hear something a bit faster from them.

chickenstrip wrote:
I heard a Soundgarden track the other day and quite liked it, having never knowingly heard their stuff before, and this is what made me think I might be missing out on something I might like.

The Artist wrote:

And this is the very track I heard!
Love the use of the National steel guitar in this. Nothing I don't like about this track.
Oh, and edit: Saab Draken! Sleek-looking aeroplanes Smile
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Last edited by chickenstrip on 23:00 - 07 Oct 2021; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:52 - 07 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paw: Jessie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzJz9TIbjv8

Soundgarden: Rusty Cage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBZs_Py-1_0

Soundgarden: Superunknown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwdjreJKggg

Hammerbox: Trip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYsH6Q_Um9Q

(OK I'm just cribbing from the Road Rash 3DO soundtrack now!)

Therapy?: Screamager

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zZ44S3ZIJM

L7: Shitlist

https://youtu.be/VCZVRQ3z5qE

Helmet: Milquetoast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEnMb4m9lu0

Helmet: Unsung

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBfygUiS50g

Stone Temple Pilots: Plush

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5UOC0C0x8Q

Velvet revolver also has some good tracks, they are basically Guns N Roses without Axl, but with Scott Weiland from Stone Temple Pilots. Mind you, they got the only singer in the whole world more of a f*ckup than Axl! Shocked

It's not really classified as Grunge per se, but it's clearly influenced by it as it has the ex STP lead singer.

Velvet Revolver: Slither

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKz2U4fvA4U

Not sure if it's 100% grunge but I also like Janes addiction which is sort of this style:

Janes Addiction: True Nature

https://youtu.be/eu68ilk_l2I

Also some Stoner rock for you:

Nebula: Full Throttle: https://youtu.be/ElSPdDgNl1w

Nebula: Rocket https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtnwapIJn_o

Fu Manchu: King of the road https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvnwTM0ll9Y

Kyuss: Green Machine https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-MSfd2S7lo

Getting a touch more ethereal but heavy we have Kyuss: Asteroid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu7TnU9DZKM

I'm told Kyuss is the top tier of the Stoner Rock scene, but I happen to really like Nebula personally. Kyuss are worshipped though and I can see why.

From the more extreme ethereal end of Stoner rock I have Causa Sui: Lonesome Traveller:

https://youtu.be/iyCnEylKM70

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:57 - 07 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best way to classify Grunge is a movement like Punk was. It occurred on the cusp of a new decade, it blew away the bloated formulaic music previously (prog for Punk and Hair metal for Grunge) and it was grass roots and based on attitude more than style.

I don't think there is specifically a 'grunge' sound, other than it being rocky and having heavily overdriven guitars. I think Grunge was more of an attitude in the way that punk was. Punk had a bit more of a distinctive sound maybe, but the similarities are there.

So saying XYZ is and is not Grunge is not really useful, especially when the music comes from outside of the 1991-1995 era.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:02 - 07 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers MarJay! I'm enjoying this trip Very Happy

Yeah, I think of grunge in much the way you do I reckon.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:06 - 07 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the lefties and SJWs knew what I was listening to now between music videos they'd freak! Twisted Evil Laughing

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 07 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's a band I missed, The Misfits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgSLz5FeXUg&t=0s

I missed them, but it fits...in the imaginary playlist.
More punk than grunge.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:51 - 07 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

Velvet revolver also has some good tracks, they are basically Guns N Roses without Axl, but with Scott Weiland from Stone Temple Pilots. Mind you, they got the only singer in the whole world more of a f*ckup than Axl! Shocked

Lol.
Yeah, I've got two albums of theirs (which may be all they ever did?) and like it. I similarly like Slash's Snakepit, also nice 'n' rough at the edges.
I like a lot of Slash. The stuff he's done with Myles Kennedy I love, but it's not in this genre, doesn't fit.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:30 - 08 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I'm told Kyuss is the top tier of the Stoner Rock scene, but I happen to really like Nebula personally. Kyuss are worshipped though and I can see why.

Kyuss defined stoner rock IMO.

Josh Homme the lead guitarist for Kyuss who then went on to found Queens of the Stone age is responsbile for a lot of that. Check out the first self titled album by QOTSA and you will feel the Kyuss vibes but with a bit slicker production. Those early QOTSA albums are very good and much better than the newer ones.

On Nebula, I remember one of my first acid trips and listening to "To the Center" and being entranced with those guitars. Bad ass.
Andy Perrett This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Andy Perrett This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:05 - 08 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable Tie wrote:
MarJay wrote:

Always liked this Jesse video, if only because they were hooning around on 90's sports bikes. I seem to remember an RGV and maybe a slow 600 ish Ducati.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSdeqwO6FHA&ab_channel=Flyboy

That's not the official video, that's the one included on Road Rash 3D/ 3DO. You should watch all the videos from that game, loads of 90s bikes and good music too.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:10 - 08 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:

Kyuss defined stoner rock IMO.

Josh Homme the lead guitarist for Kyuss who then went on to found Queens of the Stone age is responsbile for a lot of that. Check out the first self titled album by QOTSA and you will feel the Kyuss vibes but with a bit slicker production. Those early QOTSA albums are very good and much better than the newer ones.

On Nebula, I remember one of my first acid trips and listening to "To the Center" and being entranced with those guitars. Bad ass.

I think I might have a couple of Queens Of The Stone Age albums somewhere. I particularly remember a track called 'Lost Art of Keeping a Secret'.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:42 - 08 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I think I might have a couple of Queens Of The Stone Age albums somewhere. I particularly remember a track called 'Lost Art of Keeping a Secret'.

I've got three albums of theirs that I just haven't got around to listening to properly. I've put them in a mix now, so I'll start to get familiar with them. I know there's a fair bit on there I'm not keen on, but heard one I liked earlier, so I'll stick with them a bit longer.

I love the Them Crooked Vultures album with Josh Homme, John Paul Jones (Led Zep) and Dave Grohl. Pity they've only done the one.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:49 - 08 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the links Cable Tie (and everyone who has posted some). I'll continue to work through all the suggestions in this thread, so I'll get to them and comment when I do Thumbs Up

With further investigation from the suggestions, I'm discovering a few other things for myself too. Just seem to be in one of those music exploration moods lately.

I think I'm looking for loud with attitude, but always appreciate some good musical skills intermixed too. As always, guitars need to be prominent, and vocals not just total screaming, which is why I think grunge and similar is working for me.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:39 - 08 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable Tie wrote:
Some other crackers from the era.

Kim Deal's (former Pixies) spin off, The Breeders.

Ah, now I know where the Dandy Warhols "Cool As Kim Deal" comes from!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 08 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:

I wouldn't put this on to listen to specifically, but would sit ok in the mix.

The Artist wrote:

As above. Ok, I think I get the stoner rock though. I don't think hearing a couple of picked out tracks is the best way to sample it. Needs headphones (check), turn it up (check), put on a whole album, close the eyes and go with it (not check tonight). Wouldn't be my first choice of music if I was actually getting stoned though.

The Artist wrote:

Not for me, this one.

@The Artist, thanks for taking the time to post all those. So I've got a couple of new (to me) bands to investigate more there, that are very likely to become favourites, certainly for this style of music Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:26 - 08 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:

No, that didn't do anything for me. Sorry Shifty

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:34 - 08 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable Tie wrote:

Again, not doing a lot for me, this one. I won't write them off on the basis of this track, but I'm looking for something a bit more lively, a bit more energy.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:03 - 08 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard Temple of the Dog. Ok, so this is Chris Cornell again and Eddie...Vedder? Is that the guy from Pearl Jam? Sounds like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUb450Alpps

Not energetic particularly, but I like it anyway Smile

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:00 - 09 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've got this album by Graveyard - Innocence and Decadence.

Here's a track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WPEu08lOzQ

How do we place this?
It goes in mixes every now and again, and each time I hear something from it, it grows on me more and more.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 171 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5