Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

K1300S, best sport touring bike

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:11 - 11 Oct 2021    Post subject: K1300S, best sport touring bike Reply with quote

Not that my repertoire is that great, but this is the best bike I've ridden.

The engine has power everywhere, produces an absolute howl when you rev it, it's like if the zx9r was at 8krpm, all the time. The brakes feel like they stop the world. Comfortable 1 or 2 up all day. Excellent range. The only downside was the inertia and handling, but it doesn't feel too heavy.

If I had a frequent pillion on trips I'd trade my zx9r for it.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:48 - 11 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent a few weeks on a fully specced up K1300GT which really impressed. Power screen, power adjustable suspension, cruise control... all things I never thought I'd want or enjoy but ended up using a lot.

I'd love an R or S for commuting on, but I don't think I could stomach the reliability issues, corrosion, or servicing costs.

I agree though, the noise they make on wide open throttle is pure bliss, and so so much power. The 1300GT seriously shifted for a big barge of a bike - deep into 3 figures without even trying. Zoom!

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:50 - 11 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the displeasure of owning a K1200r Sport and then a K1300GT.

WHEN (and I do mean WHEN) they work, they're a brilliant bike in many ways. They have a lot of toys, quite comfortable, stable, powerful yet also managed to return almost 60mpg at times.

However, they were also the absolute most appallingly unreliable, badly made, terribly finished pieces of shit I've ever ridden. So much so that I'll never again buy another BMW. I've had lawnmowers with better metallurgy and paint finish. My GT had previous BMW services running into the thousands. Howwver the TMPS, front ESA, front wheel bearings, clutch, battery, heated grips and oil lines (catastrophic corrosion on the ending casing that required welding!) all failed on mine within 6 months of ownership. The 1200 was losing its second gear, esa failure, clutch and abs failure. They were so, SO bad that it started to ruin biking for me. I used my old cbf500 more as I just knew it would work.

As soon as I fixed it I ended up chopping in the K1300GT for a Honda VFR1200F. Ok, I lost a lot of toys and mpg but good god the Honda is in a different universe when it comes to component, build and paint quality. It is a FAR better bike to ride and own.

Oh and both k bikes radiators were on their last legs as well.

Hateful fucking thing.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:27 - 11 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh damn your ownership experience really is a shocker, and made me chuckle too... When I did the RBLR1000 on the old CB my friend wouldn't shut up about how it could break down and modern bike reliability, but then his engine blew on the way back Laughing

I guess I'll have to wait for the horror stories as it was a recent purchase Very Happy I'd expect bmw to do a better job if that's commonplace though hm

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:47 - 11 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you swapped the Honda for it?

Oh, it also had new coils, Injectors, front brakes and a final drive rebuilt prior to me getting it.

Couple of my friends have them. Both had esa fail, ones header pipes rotted, ones clutch burnt out and the others clutch basket exploded spreading debris all through the engine. Oh and I think at least 1 radiator needed replacing on them.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:32 - 12 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

PotatoHead2020 wrote:
Have you swapped the Honda for it?

Oh, it also had new coils, Injectors, front brakes and a final drive rebuilt prior to me getting it.

Couple of my friends have them. Both had esa fail, ones header pipes rotted, ones clutch burnt out and the others clutch basket exploded spreading debris all through the engine. Oh and I think at least 1 radiator needed replacing on them.

Nope, friend's bike, I rode the Honda to Portugal for holiday use and was considering swapping the zx9r for it, but without a permanent pillion I thought I'd rather modify mine to suit, if I can sort some comfort and brake upgrades, I don't think there's a better bike for my needs.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:34 - 12 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

PotatoHead2020 wrote:
I ended up chopping in the K1300GT for a Honda VFR1200F. Ok, I lost a lot of toys and mpg but good god the Honda is in a different universe when it comes to component, build and paint quality. It is a FAR better bike to ride and own.

K1300S vs VFR1200 has been a question I've asked myself a fair bit, I'm really keen one or the other as a next all year around commuter. VFR12 always ends up winning in my head for all of the reasons you've gone through.

I loved riding the K13GT around, but I couldn't own one.

SirFallalot
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:48 - 12 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
PotatoHead2020 wrote:
I ended up chopping in the K1300GT for a Honda VFR1200F. Ok, I lost a lot of toys and mpg but good god the Honda is in a different universe when it comes to component, build and paint quality. It is a FAR better bike to ride and own.

K1300S vs VFR1200 has been a question I've asked myself a fair bit, I'm really keen one or the other as a next all year around commuter. VFR12 always ends up winning in my head for all of the reasons you've gone through.

I've read the Blackbird was the absolute standard (although dated by now).

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 12 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the lack of shaft that puts me off of the blackbird (and the age), I do currently have a chain drive bike, but shaft is by far my preference.

GTR1400 is another option but it seems very lardy by comparison.

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:36 - 12 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
It's the lack of shaft that puts me off of the blackbird (and the age), I do currently have a chain drive bike, but shaft is by far my preference.

GTR1400 is another option but it seems very lardy by comparison.

I also have a soft spot for Blackbirds, the only thing that would put me off having one as a main bike is the lack of ABS (even my carbed cbf500 has it).

I just never really gelled with the GT. It was and looked like an old mans bike - typical BMW RT esque styling etc. Those few times it did work without issue I did enjoy it but I just couldn't ever trust it. It was always in the back of my mind of what would fail next.

The fuel economy (or lack of) on the VFR is really the only thing that annoys me and that can be changed by a remap or just not using it on silly short journeys. I currently average about 42mpg where the BMW was around 50 ish. However, I'd rather pay more for fuel than be spending far more on parts every month. I have had to upgrade the suspension as at 124kg in gear I was way over. The bike was more flickable than the K beforehand but now it's like an 800! I don't really understand the weight comments from journalists on it either, it's FAR less than the GTR and only 9kg heavier than the K1300S. Not to mention it carries it fairly low.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:17 - 12 Oct 2021    Post subject: Re: K1300S, best sport touring bike Reply with quote

SirFallalot wrote:
Not that my repertoire is that great, but this is the best bike I've ridden.

The engine has power everywhere, produces an absolute howl when you rev it, it's like if the zx9r was at 8krpm, all the time. The brakes feel like they stop the world. Comfortable 1 or 2 up all day. Excellent range. The only downside was the inertia and handling, but it doesn't feel too heavy.

If I had a frequent pillion on trips I'd trade my zx9r for it.

yeah I test rode one and really liked it, but, I had such a bad experience with a GS Sertao build quality, that put me off. Illogical, considering Honda have made some crap at times, and I like Honda's but
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

myvision
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:41 - 13 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
PotatoHead2020 wrote:

I was looking at getting either a K1300s or a VFR1200 all the expensive electronic stuff on the K13 put me off as i wouldn't be able to fix it myself so went with the VFR glad i did now.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 167 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1