Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stop TAMPERING with your bike/car!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:14 - 12 Oct 2021    Post subject: Stop TAMPERING with your bike/car! Reply with quote

OK, I got this from a source that isn't very popular on here, but I have checked out the consultation document. This is a disturbing development.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1021000/future-of-transport-regulatory-review-modernising-vehicle-standards-print-version.pdf

The long and short of it is, the government wants to introduce a new law that will, among many other things, make it unlawful to "tamper" with your own private vehicles. This will include any sort of unauthorised repair or modification on any component you carry out yourself, or ECU mapping work, or disabling ABS/linked brakes, etc. In short, everything.

The overall aim of these plans has been laid out rather clumsily in this document and in the consultation. The plan is to put the onus on manufacturers to install some sort of black box tech in vehicles (to include bikes) which will connect with government systems. This will report back all vehicle movements to central government, as well as enable specific orders and commands to specific vehicles. The aim is to, most likely, impose a per-mile new vehicle taxation regime, and at the same time enable a roster type of electronic system which will ban your vehicle from the road on certain days (using pollution as a justification) or from certain areas (same old justification).

What's interesting is that they're implying, in their documents, that this is a new sort of vehicle type approval, and they will only admit to "safety", "security" and the "environment" as the intentions behind these plans. Yet, they're strangely specific about the massive scope of control and surveillance (they actually use that word) that they plan to enforce. It does read rather as if a powerful lobby group connected with the car industry, a car manufacturer or a tech company has come up with a computerised device and sold it to the government/greased a few palms, to try to get this installed in every new car (and bike). A foolproof method of planned obsolescence and an authoritarian's wet dream...

Anyway, I just thought I'd mention it here, because unless my knowledge of the English language is grossly inadequate, "tampering" to me suggests doing something that ought not to be done, i.e. something illegal, or something basically wrong. For example, if I deflate my neighbour's tyres I'm "tampering" with his car. If I deflate my own tyres, I am not tampering at all, because it's my own property. If a thing is mine, I have the basic right to destroy it. If I buy a record I don't like, and break it, that's not tampering. If I repair my bike or car, adjust the fueling to get better fuel efficiency, or set it up for a trackday, that's not "tampering" either. But, according to these proposals, doing anything at all to your own vehicle would count as "tampering", and will be unlawful.

Quote:
Specifically, we would look to create:

• a specific offence for supplying, installing and/or advertising, a ‘tampering product’ for a vehicle or NRMM – this would apply where a principal effect of the product is to bypass, defeat, reduce the effectiveness of or render inoperative a system, part or component (the product may be a physical part or component, hardware and/or software)
• a specific offence for removing, reducing the effectiveness of, or rendering inoperative a system, part or component for a vehicle/NRMM and advertising such services
• a specific offence for allowing for use or providing a vehicle or NRMM that has had the operations described in the previous 2 points performed on it
• a new power to require economic operators to provide information, where a service/product they have supplied amounts to or enables ‘tampering’ with a vehicle or NRMM – this would apply in any of the above senses and include requirements to provide relevant information on the quantities of products sold or modified

(There's a lot more in the survey)

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:17 - 12 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks worrying Sad .
I’d best stick to going fishing.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 12 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "tampering" bit has already hit America (i.e. this bit looks copied/internationally coordinated), and the rest is just a surveillance/control wet dream. Note the bit about forcing manufacturers of parts to report to the government about to whom they sold "tampering" parts... It looks like it's EITHER designed to kill off the parts and repair industry, and motorsports OR is indifferent to the parts and repair industry and motorsports (collateral damage). I guess they're interested in seeing who wins in America (EPA vs car guys) before trotting it out over here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH5HjH-ZTtg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krgDM4S2hpo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kujbVL7F_6U

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:06 - 13 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

From that quote you supplied (sorry, i'm not prepared to read the whole thing), i'd read that "tampering" as more akin to fitting a cat delete, or EGR blanking device, thus "tampering" with the emisisons control devices on cars, rather than "tuning" or "modifiying"

But hey, that could just be me being naive

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:54 - 13 Oct 2021    Post subject: Re: Stop TAMPERING with your bike/car! Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
The plan is to put the onus on manufacturers to install some sort of black box tech in vehicles (to include bikes) which will connect with government systems. This will report back all vehicle movements to central government, as well as enable specific orders and commands to specific vehicles. The aim is to, most likely, impose a per-mile new vehicle taxation regime, and at the same time enable a roster type of electronic system which will ban your vehicle from the road on certain days (using pollution as a justification) or from certain areas (same old justification).

Sick

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:21 - 13 Oct 2021    Post subject: Re: Stop TAMPERING with your bike/car! Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
Bhud wrote:
The plan is to put the onus on manufacturers to install some sort of black box tech in vehicles (to include bikes) which will connect with government systems. This will report back all vehicle movements to central government, as well as enable specific orders and commands to specific vehicles. The aim is to, most likely, impose a per-mile new vehicle taxation regime, and at the same time enable a roster type of electronic system which will ban your vehicle from the road on certain days (using pollution as a justification) or from certain areas (same old justification).

Sick

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/M7gDFinIUMg/mqdefault.jpg

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:24 - 13 Oct 2021    Post subject: Re: Stop TAMPERING with your bike/car! Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

I can easily imagine being caught using that getting 10 years in prison.

Environment criminal! Rolling Eyes

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 13 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
From that quote you supplied (sorry, i'm not prepared to read the whole thing), i'd read that "tampering" as more akin to fitting a cat delete, or EGR blanking device, thus "tampering" with the emisisons control devices on cars, rather than "tuning" or "modifiying"

But hey, that could just be me being naive

It's far more wide-ranging than that, unfortunately.

Run through the online consultation to get the proposals in full. As per current nudge-istry, that consultation document doesn't contain even a tenth of the proposals. They wouldn't want them quoted in forums like this, I expect. So it's all couched in the survey.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:04 - 13 Oct 2021    Post subject: Re: Stop TAMPERING with your bike/car! Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

I can easily imagine being caught using that getting 10 years in prison.

Not if they can't find you Laughing

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:40 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two questions on reading the document:

1) Is this only intended for new designs of vehicles e.g. self driving cars or existing designs. Some sections heavy refer to "innovative vehicles" and others just talk about "road vehicles."

2) What is "tampering" as it's not at all defined in the document in clear language. In the US it's certainly been twisted into "only manufacturer approved repairers" but I don't get the sense this is the same here (although I acknowledge it could morph into that and governments certainly have form for overreach.)

If "tampering" includes doing your own oil service then this document fails immediately as it'll conflict with the new "right to repair" laws (one good thing from the EU) coming in.

Seems more like "tampering" in the context of this document is along the lines of hacking your Tesla software Thinking

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:28 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is what I was going to suggest. This is something that will almost certainly be ramped up in electric cars. No playing with the software etc. I bet by 2030 the governments will be able to track all cars and turn them off at will. No more police chases, no need, just immobilise the car.

It's going to happen and electric vehicles will make it that bit easier to implement. A bit like drink driving or smoking, once you ingraine in the population something is wrong and only selfish nasty people do it, you can get the sheeple on side.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:32 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good questions.

The consultation survey has more information on these points, including a detailed definition of "vehicle". In short, a "vehicle" for the purposes of the proposals is anything designed for use on the road, and expressly includes motorcycles and cars.

"Tampering" is supposed to include absolutely everything you could think of, to do with a private vehicle. The problem is that it's a broad definition and gives the Sec of State broad and sweeping new powers. It's to include all software and hardware. Common sense might suggest it will only be used for very limited purposes. However, the proposed powers themselves are not limited.

Lodged in the consultation form (RTF file):

Quote:

We want to ensure we have powers to introduce provisions to permit the safe introduction of new technologies and new vehicle categories that do not meet existing approval requirements.

We also want to develop consumer information schemes such as tyre labelling.

We propose to create:

- an approval scheme for automated vehicles to set requirements for safety, security and in-use monitoring – this will cover systems, sub-systems and manufacturers’ processes across the vehicle lifecycle (design, development, manufacturing and in-use operation)

- new technical regulations for road vehicles, such as approval and in-use obligations for software and cyber-security requirements over vehicle life – this will include the ability to direct vehicle manufacturers and suppliers of replacement parts to act where needed
powers to ensure the correct maintenance and use requirements, most notably for connected and automated vehicles

- improved powers for monitoring and enforcement of in-use compliance and market surveillance activities – this will include requirements for manufacturers to provide information (such as technical specifications, performance data and access to embedded software)

-powers for the Secretary of State for Transport to amend, by statutory instrument, retained EU legislation on the type-approval of vehicles and non-road mobile machinery – for example, the EU type-approval framework regulations and regulations covering engine pollutants and emissions

Quote:

We anticipate a greater range of new and innovative road vehicle designs and associated technologies.

We propose a flexible, proportionate and responsive approach to allow safe, secure and environmentally friendly vehicles to come to market. These vehicles need to be registered for use on our roads without undue delay.

At the same time, we want to ensure that we can respond quickly to address any new and emerging security threats and safety risks. Flexibility will enable us to be responsive to developments and learn from the deployment of new technologies such as vehicle automation. This may be important for maintaining safety where new and previously unforeseen risks arise.

We propose to:

- revise the existing provisions around prototype vehicles and vehicle orders to better accommodate the registration and use of innovative vehicle designs

- create a power for the Secretary of State for Transport to issue guidance covering matters which may not be suitable for secondary legislation

Proposed revisions regarding vehicle orders include:

- enabling orders to apply to vehicles operated on behalf of specified persons

- applying order-making powers to retained EU approval legislation

-extending order-making powers to allow the registration and use of small volumes/small series innovative vehicles that do not comply with all type approval requirements subject to alternative safety/environmental/security measures being included

Such provisions should allow manufacturers and system suppliers to easily place new vehicles and technologies produced in limited numbers on the market. This will be subject to controls and conditions which maintain safety, security and environmental performance.

We propose giving power to the Secretary of State for Transport to issue guidance, supplementing vehicle approval regulations. This power is considered necessary to enable the regulator to respond appropriately and in a timely manner to:

- emerging technologies undergoing rapid advancements

- the latest knowledge and best-practice

- the latest methodologies for assessing vehicle safety and security

Example applications of this power could include:

- interpreting existing technical requirements and test procedures to enable application to new technologies

- best-practice for the use of virtual testing (for example, the validation of simulation-based testing)

- ensuring consistent and safe behaviours of automated vehicles under certain scenarios  

Now for the bit on "tampering":

Quote:

Tackling tampering

We define a system, part or component as:

"software and/or hardware that impacts on: the environment; road safety; or security"
This would include examples such as those which assist or fulfil the driving task, control power, speed or emissions, protects road users or protects the vehicle from tampering.

By my reading, this covers absolutely all vehicle parts and software.

Control of speed may or not be a plan to make systems like this obligatory and non-disableable, but this is pure speculation on my part:

https://www.motor1.com/news/503466/renault-dacia-limit-top-speed/

The new powers would, in fact, require these speed limiters to be mandatory and untamperable, should the Sec of State dictate.

The survey mentions things that "protect road users", i.e. sensors, cameras, ABS. Emissions relevant: exhaust systems and fuelling.

This is why I reckon that the implications of the proposals shall be that changing anything will be considered "tampering". They'll go after the parts vendors first, and then the end users (as they will demand invoice lists, to build up the paperwork). This is what happened in America. They raided parts supply stores, then demanded inventories and full invoices and accounts. From there, they backtraced individuals who bought odd items like intakes, and in turn some individuals got the knock on the door and were quizzed on their vehicles and whether they were used on the road. This had a chilling effect on US automotive culture, and threatens to kill off their massive aftermarket parts industry. I do have a sneaking suspicion that the US is simply being seen as the hardest nut to crack and we may be next. Although I can't prove that.

Note that the UK's proposals encompass BOTH road vehicles and machinery not intended for the road. So there will be no race/off-road exemption for the crime of supplying, say, an aftermarket brake system, or an exhaust.

These is always a possibility that the government wishes to accrue to itself new powers that it does not intend to exercise. However, I, personally, do not believe that it intends to limit itself to anything at all. These proposed powers, if allowed to pass unchallenged, would give them a lot of leverage. Example: making cannabis unlawful to possess means that the police may turn a blind eye to it, unless they feel like prosecuting users one day. There's always that option there. That's why I believe these proposals would give the govt powers that are excessively broad in scope.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:15 - 15 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worth bearing in mind these would be proposals for new vehicles so it'll be in a few generations the kids will all be crying "Why's life so boring?"

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 15:38 - 21 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of already in place the Euro 5 Interceptors and Himalayan cannot be fitted with a booster plug as the bike will not accept it.

Stuart Fillingham has made a short clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKnhgBa_fNQ&ab_channel=stuartfillingham

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:52 - 21 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

om15 wrote:
Sort of already in place the Euro 5 Interceptors and Himalayan cannot be fitted with a booster plug as the bike will not accept it.

Is that the guy who said Tank Chip was a good idea?

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:11 - 21 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha wrote:
om15 wrote:

Is that the guy who said Tank Chip was a good idea?

I saw a variation on that idea at the last autojumble, this time magic beans metal beads Laughing

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:52 - 21 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So link to consultation?

Not many private individuals actually respond to these things. I actually responded to the one about insurance having to cover even vehicles being used off the road and they got back to me requesting I fill in another section because they had so few respondents who weren't in some way directly related to the industry.

If you knew about but didn't respond to the consultation, you have no right to be riteously aggrieved if it passes into law.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:21 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

om15 wrote:

Short clip, Jebus wept, i managed 5 mins in and he still hadn't said anything useful, that man needs a rocket up his arse

Could you please summarise for us

om15
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 09:04 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summary.

Motorcyclists are under threat of legislation that would stop them from fitting any accessory or component that is not produced by the manufacturer. No part can be added that wasn't part of the bike at build, and aftermarket parts will be banned, and those that sell them will be punished, as will those that fit them.

The short clip also contained observations of a personal nature about the Prime Minister.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

om15 wrote:
Summary.

Motorcyclists are under threat of legislation that would stop them from fitting any accessory or component that is not produced by the manufacturer. No part can be added that wasn't part of the bike at build, and aftermarket parts will be banned, and those that sell them will be punished, as will those that fit them.

The short clip also contained observations of a personal nature about the Prime Minister.

Well if he is talking about the same document linked in the OP, then i think he is reading far too much between the lines, as that is cetainly not the tone of the original link

But hey, we can all interpret things in different ways

Quote:
We will create new offences for tampering with a system, part or component of a vehicle intended or adapted to be used on a road. This will enable us to address existing gaps in the legislation, ensuring cleaner and safer vehicles

I read that as tampering with systems related to emissions and safety only, like removing cats, DPF's etc, or diabling ABS, linked brakes etc

It certainly does not read that replacing your stock mirrors with bar end mirrors, or fitting a softer seat will be punishable by death, which is what some folk seem to be interpretting it as

The real key here is though, what is considered "tampering", but surely if they meant replacing any part with an aftermarket alternative, surely they would have been more explicit rather than use the term "tampering"

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:28 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

It certainly does not read that replacing your stock mirrors with bar end mirrors, or fitting a softer seat will be punishable by death, which is what some folk seem to be interpretting it as

Anyone who fits bar end mirors in place of the perfectly servicable standard ones should be put to death for crimes against humanity anyway.

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:41 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:

Anyone who fits bar end mirors in place of the perfectly servicable standard ones should be put to death for crimes against humanity anyway.

Mirrors on shoes only, right?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:30 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:

How very dare you, sir, I resemble that remark!

If you want to go totally overboard how about windscreens, panniers, crash protectors...

I could see a grey area that this sort of regulation would stomp on, updating your built-in car gps with an SD card from a dubious source.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:21 - 22 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3rd (Turd) Directive was slid through with ner a second glance.
No one could stop it.

Like wise if the government want to legislate on vehicles then no one will be able to stop it.

Buy a pair of hiking boots and give up biking.
Or don't buy a new bike when restrictions come into force.

I can't see any need for angst right now and the infernal conjunction engine will be such a quirksome device by the time all the 98 R1s have been scrapped.

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:33 - 23 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh... I missed all these responses.

Interesting thoughts. I don't know any more than you guys, but I think it's generally bad.

The consultation doc is here, in case anyone wants it:

https://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/ETVHG5/

If you're going to fill it out, bear in mind it's repetitive in places, so have the last couple of responses cut and pasted.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 158 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2