Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Car Roof Tents?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:00 - 13 Oct 2021    Post subject: Car Roof Tents? Reply with quote

Spotted a car with a thing call tent box or summat which piqued my interest.

Seems like they're a thing.. but why? What's the big advantage and why would I spend a grand on one that still only sleeps two? Where do you cook - in another tent?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:02 - 13 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

For safaris where getting eaten by large animals is a possibility. Otherwise I think they are a waste of money.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:04 - 13 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
For safaris where getting eaten by large animals is a possibility. Otherwise I think they are a waste of money.

Pretty sure they wouldn't really protect from a fucking lion...

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:32 - 13 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

But they keep you off the floor, away from snakes, scorpions, zombies etc. I don't make the thing, I just know the vague application for them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 13 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
But they keep you off the floor, away from snakes, scorpions, zombies etc. I don't make the thing, I just know the vague application for them.

well, yes I can see how that might be of benefit in some inhospitable territories but this lot seems to be pitching them (pun unintended) at the European 'adventurer'..

https://rooftentutopia.com/

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 13 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly it, they're mainly aimed at "overland" adventure types, often to be seen on the roof of jacked up 4x4s and so forth. They're OK to use for a weekend away but I find them hideously uncomfortable in UK weather, because they're atop a tall vehicle they sway enough to make motion sickness a real issue and opening your tent door to be greeted by a face full of horizontal rain isn't something I'd recommend to anyone.

On the flip side, they're convenient because it's basically a caravan tent, you just unfold to use. They leave the rest of the vehicle free for stuff and makes it possible to fit out a middling large (think Hilux Surf or Discovery) competent off roader as a rough camper for longer trips.

These days it's more the 4 (or 4x4) wheel equivalent of a BMW adventure bike with the full Charlie&Ewan™ options package.
Andy Perrett This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.
Andy Perrett This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:11 - 13 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM the Back Scuttler.
I'm sure he's probably fought off lions from his air bed in a roof tent.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 13 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet they're good for watching herds of Wildebeest
sweeping majestically across the plain.......................

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:34 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

Youtube performs that function admirably without the travel feck on / being eaten by lions thing.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:19 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable Tie wrote:
WD Forte wrote:

They just look a bit daft on the top of a Berlingo on a campsite in Bournemouth.

how about a Porsche Boxster on Dunstable Downs?

https://rooftentutopia.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Femkes-Khosi-on-Porsche.jpg

..only £2550

Andy Perrett This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weight is unlikely to be an issue if the mounting points are half decent; roofs are designed to hold the weight of the car these days so they don't collapse if a vehicle flips onto it's roof. The reason you see low load limits on car roof systems is due to dynamic forces, i.e. braking/cornering etc. - you can put a lot more load on them when they're not moving.

Back to the tents themselves;

Pros: they're probably better at preventing condensation as you're not on damp ground, nothing crawling in, no worry about finding smooth flat grass and possibly (ironically) greater privacy, depending on the height of your roof. Might even get a good view from campsites next to the sea/mountains etc. as you will probably see over walls.

Cons; I imagine they're cold as air can circulate underneath them, no shelter, ladder access for a 3am toilet break could be interesting, access back into the tent after returning from the pub at 2am could also be interesting, I imagine they're generally small and I wouldn't want to cook in one as if the thing caught fire, it's both going to be more painful than average to escape and it'll probably take the car with it when it burns down. You're also not going to be able to "set up camp" for a weekend then go out somewhere during the day, unless the car isn't moving.

I saw a lot of these in Iceland on top of Jimnys; I imagine to enable easy exploring of the F roads without having to worry about finding luggage space for a tent. Seemed popular so I assume they're acceptable, even in harsh Icelandic weather conditions (if you've not been, it redefines what we call "windy" in the UK).

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So let's say you've wined and dined a Tuscan beauty and you head for the hills in the boxster (or whatever model that is..)

..you arrive at a panoramic location and gaze at the view while engaging in some pre-coital fumblings.. At which point you toss her the camp chairs and say 'stick these up will you luv I'm just going to set-up the roof-tent..'

..right.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
So let's say you've wined and dined a Tuscan beauty and you head for the hills in the boxster (or whatever model that is..)

..you arrive at a panoramic location and gaze at the view while engaging in some pre-coital fumblings.. At which point you toss her the camp chairs and say 'stick these up will you luv I'm just going to set-up the roof-tent..'

..right.

I guess the alternative is fiddling around trying to get your pole through the opening? Question

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 14:12 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're warmer because you're not on the ground.

They're warmer because the tents have built in mattresses and are built more solidly than normal tents.

They can be put up really quickly.
Andy Perrett This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:13 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:

how about a Porsche Boxster on Dunstable Downs?

https://rooftentutopia.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/Femkes-Khosi-on-Porsche.jpg
..only £2550

Cool Thumbs Up , how about a tent on a Fiat Panda?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UEVDZBVPvwI

Last edited by pepperami on 18:14 - 14 Oct 2021; edited 1 time in total

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:14 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Boxster

*cough* Cayman *cough.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:53 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just say "HOW MUCH" Shocked

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

why can't we have bike roof tents that's what i want to know

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:53 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

* paging aaron adams *

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off-topic but there seems to be a vogue round here for black sheets over rear passenger windows. At first I thought it covered vandalised glass but now they’re so common I think it’s a commercial sunshade for the little treasures.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 165 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2