Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

The next big crisis

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:39 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: The next big crisis Reply with quote

Collapse in food production worldwide as fertiliser production has all but ceased due to high gas prices.
I would say crop yields could drop between 70% and 100% i.e total loss in countries which cannot source it at any price.

Currently what is available in the UK is priced about 400% up on six months ago with no delivery date available.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38305504
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob W
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:51 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way society is going, I think we deserve nothing less than a full on extinction event at the moment.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:51 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always an element of panic mongering in these reports. With the BBC, that's even more likely.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny really, the people are there, the resources are there, we have the technology to make what we need, and yet for the sake of a trivial concept called "money" we could see thousands across the world starve.

Weisse Schlange
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:55 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spoke to a guy in agriculture this morning who said the same. Said farmers couldn't decide what to plant as they cant figure out what fertilisers they can get or what ones they can afford.

Still don't think it will be the crisis they imply though.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
There's always an element of panic mongering in these reports. With the BBC, that's even more likely.

The BBC haven't mentioned it, that's an old link describing the process.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weisse Schlange wrote:
Just spoke to a guy in agriculture this morning who said the same. Said farmers couldn't decide what to plant as they cant figure out what grants they can get.

EFA

Diggs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:30 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years of starvation and pillaging, then its a smaller population and a neo-feudal system for us.... Its time to buy some more crossbow bolts methinks.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:40 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
farmers couldn't decide what to plant as they cant figure out what grants they can get.

EFA

There aren't any for cropping or producing anything for that matter, funding is mostly focused on taking land out of production e.g. tree planting and that only covers costs of work done e.g fencing, guards.
If the cost of a major input rises massively, either the product price needs to jump up substantially too or it won't be grown.Substantial increased costs can't be covered by producers for long.
Ex farm prices now are not much higher than they were in the 70s and that means people have more money to spend on other stuff as they hardly use 25% of income for food. This will change dramatically.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:46 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wonder this place is going from strength to strength.
https://preppersshop.co.uk/

Seriously, I think it will get bad. Maybe not while I am around but some of you youngsters are going to get major shit when everything coincides. No power, dwindling food supplys, mass migration from the sub Sahara, martial law, no rum.

Get your apocalypse motorcycle built now. Store petrol because electricity will be in short supply and you won't be able to charge your Teslas.

We're doomed I say, DOOMED.
Andy Perrett This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:35 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable Tie wrote:
NASA, .... , can categorically prove the Earth is getting greener and the Antarctic ice Cap is growing, not shrinking.

Source?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:39 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

c_dug wrote:
Cable Tie wrote:
NASA, .... , can categorically prove the Earth is getting greener and the Antarctic ice Cap is growing, not shrinking.

Source?

He doesn't do sources
Andy Perrett This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:59 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done on finding 2 six year old studies.

By the way, the ice sheet one is about a single area of Antarctica, not Antarctica as a whole.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:52 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do know slowing isn't stopping?

The earth is still heating up.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:23 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. The end of 2020 was 1 degree above the average for the 20th century but the start of 2021 is .8?

Clearly no data for 2021 because no line as well

Do you understand graphs?

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
There aren't any (grants) for cropping or producing anything for that matter, funding is mostly focused on taking land out of production

We’ll be fine for golf driving ranges, petting zoos and re-wilding then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:35 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
doggone wrote:
There aren't any (grants) for cropping or producing anything for that matter, funding is mostly focused on taking land out of production

We’ll be fine for golf driving ranges, petting zoos and re-wilding then.

Well, my obnoxious cousin who owns a farm in east anglia is driving around in a 21 plate range rover and he is always moaning about how hard it is for farmers and how much the goverment need to subsidise farming. I know he certainly used to change crops to get the most out of the grants.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Well, my obnoxious cousin who owns a farm in east anglia is driving around in a 21 plate range rover and he is always moaning about how hard it is for farmers and how much the goverment need to subsidise farming. I know he certainly used to change crops to get the most out of the grants.

Aye, there’s never enough rain to wash the mud off the Mercedes.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:09 - 14 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Population of planet at end of 19th Century ~1 billion. Population today heading to 7 billion. That's over 5 billion people in just over a century Shocked Mostly due to industrial-scale production of artificial fertilisers.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 165 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2