BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Fork spacers?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

PotatoHead202...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:29 - 15 Oct 2021    Post subject: Fork spacers? Reply with quote

Getting a bit sick of the front end of my CBF500 ABS. I have a YSS rear with a heavier spring on it and Hyperpro front fork springs with heavier oil (can't remember what weight, whatever came with the kit).

I was looking at linear springs for my weight but nowhere seems to do them. What other options have I got for effectively adding preload? It's non adjustable at the moment. Could I add some kind of spacer? Any idea what kind of size I'd need? Forks are 41mm.

I weigh 120ish kg in gear and no the weight isn't going anywhere nor is the bike being changed.

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 15 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to your plumbing suppliers and get some nylon pipe of the required diameter, cut into lengths and try it as a spacer.

OGR

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 22:25 - 15 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Git Racing wrote:
Go to your plumbing suppliers and get some nylon pipe of the required diameter, cut into lengths and try it as a spacer.

OGR

Spacers won't affect the spring rate though, they'll only make the sag correct, so as soon as he accelerates or brakes the bike will probably bottom out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 10:10 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why you would want to add preload, you're 10+ kilos lighter than me and the forks would be fine for me.

I don't think your problem is spring rate it's dive on braking as the forks are massively under damped and if you used it I reckon the Hyper pro supplied oil was either 15 or 20 weight so heavier than standard as a compromise to improve things.

A better choice for you would be to fit YSS PD Valves, the standard weight oil after modifying the damper rods and adjustable fork tops after trimming the spring spacer by 50% of the preload adjuster travel.

I did a lot of this work on my ER6.

If you just fit longer spacers the forks will bottom out quicker which will really give you handling problems.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:45 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen people use old valve springs of an appropriate diameter as spacers.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 161 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1