Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Replacing kickstart on a cg125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

boredatwork
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:35 - 17 Oct 2021    Post subject: Replacing kickstart on a cg125 Reply with quote

tl;dr: i cant reseat my kickstart and its stoppng my putting my engine back together!

Hi
I have a cg125, and wierdly the internal crankcase broke meaning the gear shift was super "wobbly" and unable to change gears. On dismantling, the 'hole' that held the back of the gear change lever had litterally broke.

After much seaching got a new 'bit'. Start rebuilding the engine and get to the bit where i need to put the starter in. It clips in with a spring and has two "bits" that brace against the case to allow the mechanism spin the engine and then retract out of the way.

I simply can't do it. I rotate everything into place, the spring is holding and the minute i go to line it up, it clicks out of place, or falls out. I've watched some youtube videos and im essentially doing what they are - but it works for them and not for me!

I know its not much info to go on, but anyone had to do this and had similar issues? Any hints gratefully recieved because I'm at my wits end and have cut my hands to shreds on the spring

thanks!

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:56 - 17 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance you could post some pictures?

boredatwork
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:54 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
Any chance you could post some pictures?

of course, i was covered in oil and gasket sealant yesterday (dont ask) so didnt touch my phone i'll take some when i get in from work, thank you!

boredatwork
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pics I've tried to show the kickstart mechanism and then where it fits in the casing - hopefully you can see wherethe mechanism braces itself against the casing to hold it all in place.

it all goes in fine, and if i hold the outer bit of the mechanism firmly i can lline everything up but as i go to lower onto the rest of the engine...pop it jumps out.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:56 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, where's the locator pin for the other end of the spring?

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:54 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're pulling on the shaft* would that be enough to keep it in place while you put the engine case back together? Might need a spare pair of hands to assist you.

*Fnarr, fnarr

boredatwork
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:09 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
So, where's the locator pin for the other end of the spring?

the spring locks into a hole in the shaft, with a holding locator piece over it. then coils round a bit until breaking out into the bit that pokes thru the case. I've checked and the holes as lower on the shaft the locking mechanism has to line up and so has another aligning hole...

boredatwork
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:12 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy-X wrote:
If you're pulling on the shaft* would that be enough to keep it in place while you put the engine case back together? Might need a spare pair of hands to assist you.

*Fnarr, fnarr

lol, fnarr indeed. infact i had my girlfriend helping me, though I kept her hand off unusual shafts! The issue is i think the faff of getting the end into the hole in the crankcase invariably loosens the mechanism. that and the shaft is fighting to twist all the time (which I dont think it should be ) makes it feel like its impossible but ive watched people do it on youtube!

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:19 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y
So you need to make sure the shelf is as far cl9cmwosenas you can get it and then I use a screw driver or similar to locate the.crank case bit.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 162 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1