Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Charging a battery

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:30 - 17 Oct 2021    Post subject: Charging a battery Reply with quote

Got the GSX battery off and have put it on this Optimate thing.
I managed to connect it correctly without blowing myself up.

There was a bit of an incident when some "water" splashed up out of the battery while I was pulling off those stopper things with a flat edged screwdriver
(Q: is there a proper tool to do that with?)
Immediately realising that this "water" was more likely to be acid, I mopped up a bit and washed my hands thoroughly.

That was about 9 this morning and now (at around 11 pm) its started to make funny noises which I guess must be the charging up process.

(Q: But how long does it have to do that for before its fully charged? Is it like brewing wine when you have to let it do all that wet-farty thing for a week or two?
and more to the point:

(Q: If I left it overnight, would it set fire to the house?

I'm not sure I can get the poppers back in the holes, cos the distilled water level is quite high. Is it okay to syringe some out, so there is space for the poppers to go back in? Or I could just use a wick of kitchen roll to soak up some of the distilled water... Thinking

I'll be wanting to go to bed soon. I'll have to turn it off, can't risk leaving it plugged in.

Easy-X
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:52 - 17 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, careful with that acid. I've got some jeans with a neat line of holes where some splashed on Shocked

As to how long to charge it it's only a bike battery so should only take a few hours, depends on how flat it was to start with. For example I'd left my XSR for a few weeks and the charger started at 11.7 volts and it got back to full strength in ~3 hours. YMMV as they say.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:18 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the voltage after disconnecting everything and leaving it to settle for 10 minutes?

I would just push the poppers back in and rinse off any acid with water.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 08:34 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washing it off on your hands immediately is recommended but it is very diluted so it shouldn't cause you too many issues.

if you get any on your cloths you find a load of holes in them after you wash then next....

The popping sound is hydrogen and oxyden being split out of the water so a well ventelated area is recommended.

A multimeter is your friend for checking the voltage, you can usually get cheap ones for less than a tenner. I think mine cost about 6 but that was a fair few years ago.

Put it on 20 v DC and it should be registering about 13 volts when fully charged. Anything abouve about 12.5 should be fine.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some chargers a light will change colour or something but essentially no need to worry especially with a lower amp charger designed for bikes.
The charger is pushing power into the battery and as it gets close to full the battery effectively pushes back as if trying to charge up the charger then they reach an equilibrium where nothing much is happening.

A trickle charger could be left hooked up for weeks with no real risk of damage let alone more extreme stuff like explosions.

Charging batteries is not without risk as hydrogen is produced and sparks are often caused if you take the clips off 'live' or they somehow accidentally got yanked off.
So charging best done in a well ventilated space and always clip and unclip with charger turned off.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:22 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes its one of those variety which just changes colour when ready.
No idea what the voltage is, but I will buy a cheap multimeter, thank you Nobster, as I have heard men muttering in their beards about such a thing before, so they must be useful at some point.

So I reckon the battery is as done as its ever gonna be, cos the appropriate light was green on the Optimate.

FYI, it was in a well ventilated space (on my dining room table) cos I did know I should be wary of where I done it. But said table is cluttered with office and general hellkat crap - and the risk is that cats will jump up there.

So I put the caps back on to avoid having the cats jump up and melt themselves.

Used a bit of absorbent blue paper to soak up a bit of the acid out of the holes - stuffed wick of paper in hole, poked gently with screwdriver, just to reduce the level of liquid so that I could get the caps back on without splashing myself - and it turned the paper yellow almost immediately Shocked Shocked - which was sufficient reminder that I was dealing with acid, so I carefully soaked up a bit more and then replaced the caps.

Haven't taken the clips off yet, but I did switch it off at the wall, before I started all this dicking about, so no extra danger going on there. Might have to put it on top of the fridge, which is a reasonably cat-free zone.

I'm working at home the next two days so hopefully I will find some time to go out there and see if the bike starts with the battery charged.

If not, off I go to buy a new one Laughing
Thanks chaps! Cool

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:35 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q: If I left it overnight, would it set fire to the house?

It shouldn't but leaving any electrical device unattended is unwise unless you know for sure it can be trusted

A meter is always a good investment and one use is to check
chargers are doing their job properly.
I always check mine from time to time just in case.

The day after being charged the battery should have a standing voltage of 12.75V if its all tickety boo.

If it reads significantly less say 12.3/4V
this indicates its past its best.
Less then 12V its knackered

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:42 - 18 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was messing with mine on the snarly I was swapping between 'continuity' (do the wires connect to earth) or 20v DC (is there power there).

I have used the 240v AC side but that was messing with my cooker and ste's lights in his house.

Aside from that most of its functions haven't been used. If I'd needed to, I woul have bought a much more expensive one and would also have an oscilloscope.

There again I'm not an electronic engineer.

As it stands I only ever need to check continuity, 12v DC and 240v AC...

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:52 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I haven't had a battery in years that's needed topping up (car or bike), as they've all been sealed at birth - isn't it unusual these days? Or is HK's battery just old?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:39 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you were typing in SPAMish when I saw all the red letters.

Really... youo should charge outside or in a place that has plenty of fresh air flow to blow away the gasses produced by charging a lead acid battery. But probably your hoose is all over the street by now so no point in moving the charge station now.

Battery charge depends on many things.
Size of battery. (Size matters)
Level of charge.
Type of charger.
(Ambient temperature.)
How desperate you are for 12volts.

A couple of hours on a 'booster' charger. Optimate/Ctek etc. won't provide that sort of charge do to their specialized charge management circuitry. An auld fashioned charger will usually have a High-Low switch. It just pumps more amps into the battery in the high mode. Which causes more gas and heat in a shorter time.

Very depleted lead acid batteries will never be the same after a couple of deep discharge cycles. They become fcuked chemically and physically. Five or six arse whuppins like that and a new battery would be a better option than a battery with <50% reserve capacity wot will let you down more than a cancelled flight to Lanzarote in December.

I like to see girls busy in the workshop.

When you get a minute, go put the kettle on Pet. Laughing
Battery Science is quite fascinating

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drifting off topic I've had some success with epsom salts to give failing batteries a few more months.
There are some youtubes about it but basically make up a strong solution with water and top up with that even if you have to take some acid out.
It seems to desulphate(?) the plates.

I tried it on an infrequently used mini digger and old tractor - the digger battery must be 12 years old so not got much to lose with an experiment.
Both were needing regular charging but worse the charger said they were 'full' in a few minutes so clearly pooped - but since treating they seem almost normal nearly a year on
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:18 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I thought you were typing in SPAMish when I saw all the red letters.

No, I just wanted to make sure my questions got answered rather than have people rattle on well-meaningly and enthusiastially, but in a way I didn't understand, or wander off the subject when I desperately needed simple answers.

When I'm actually standing/squatting there watching someone and listening to the explanation, I take it in very easily, such as the time I spent in Amesbury with that consort was actually very helpful. He's gone and found himself a local girlfriend now - so I don't get down there much any more, but he was very good at explaining stuff.

When I'm reading stuff, there are times my brain is extremely capable and able to take in long or complicated stuff, but at other times it's all I can do to comprehend a single line of text.
I'm very worried about this brain fog. I didn't even have covid, it must be hormonal Crying or Very sad

I'll put the kettle on then, shall I ... Shifty
Mr. Green Middle Finger

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:18 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any special storage instructions for distilled water? I am now the proud owner of 1.5 megatonnes of the fucking stuff (i.e., 5L).

It's currently stored under some shelves in my hallway. I'd like to say it's a cool dry place, but this fucking flat is riddled with damp. Rolling Eyes

Does it have any other use? It says for putting in irons as well, but I never fucking iron anything Rolling Eyes

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:20 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not off topic, that's "tangential" and very interesting.
Cool

doggone wrote:
Drifting off topic I've had some success with epsom salts to give failing batteries a few more months.
There are some youtubes about it but basically make up a strong solution with water and top up with that even if you have to take some acid out.
It seems to desulphate(?) the plates.

I tried it on an infrequently used mini digger and old tractor - the digger battery must be 12 years old so not got much to lose with an experiment.
Both were needing regular charging but worse the charger said they were 'full' in a few minutes so clearly pooped - but since treating they seem almost normal nearly a year on

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:24 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Are there any special storage instructions for distilled water? I am now the proud owner of 1.5 megatonnes of the fucking stuff (i.e., 5L).

No, just keep the lid in it. it's just water.

hellkat wrote:

Does it have any other use? It says for putting in irons as well, but I never fucking iron anything

Some people put it in their cooling systems with undiluted coolent but I never bother.

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you live in an area where the kettles gets furred up regularly
de ionised/distilled water or premixed coolant is advised for the cooling system when filling or topping up.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:38 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that often that you should be swapping out the water in the coolent. It's not like my kettle when I change the water 15 times a day....

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:55 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but there's always that crispy stuff at the bottom
*ptah!*

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:11 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Yeah, but there's always that crispy stuff at the bottom
*ptah!*

Meth?

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:20 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calcium. London's riddled with the stuff Laughing Vile!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 160 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1