Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

TV recommendations please

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:49 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: TV recommendations please Reply with quote

This is definitely not my area so I'm hoping for some expertise from the knowledgeable types on here Smile

Currently redecorating the living room and the TV in there is ~14 years old, so it's - umm - well overdue a little upgrade.

50 inch screen is the preferred size. Samsung is preferred brand - but wouldn't be precious about it.

Budget wise no more than £800, ideally.

I'll be looking to buy a Sonos Beam to go with it, if that makes any difference to the recommendations.

Any help appreciated Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

We I guess were in a similar position a few years back. We needed a new TV to replace the outgoing 28" CRT (!) but of course flatscreens don't have brilliant speakers typically (although I think they're a lot better than they used to be). We went for a 50" Samsung MU6100 (so 4k smart TV basically). It was around £500. Got a surround system to go with it, Canton active sub/surround system and Yamaha receiver/amp. Total cost for the lot was around £1k with some discount applied (Richer Sounds are good for this sort of thing). The built-in speakers are passable for documentaries etc.., but if you want to watch a film they're lacking bass and power.

It does everything well and picture quality is superb, although 4k broadcasts are quite rare still. Surround is a good idea if you listen to music as well as watch films as receivers these days have bluetooth connections so I quite often stream music onto it from my 'phone. Sounds fab even though technically it's still stereo, i.e. two channels, but you get the sound around you. I'd say it's worth getting such a system over just a sound bar.

I imagine TVs have advanced again since 2017 when we got ours so you should get comparable or better for the same budget we had.

Fat Angry Scotsman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:20 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Re: TV recommendations please Reply with quote

arry wrote:
This is definitely not my area so I'm hoping for some expertise from the knowledgeable types on here Smile

Currently redecorating the living room and the TV in there is ~14 years old, so it's - umm - well overdue a little upgrade.

50 inch screen is the preferred size. Samsung is preferred brand - but wouldn't be precious about it.

Budget wise no more than £800, ideally.

I'll be looking to buy a Sonos Beam to go with it, if that makes any difference to the recommendations.

Any help appreciated Smile

I was a Samsung fanboy and stuck rigidly to them for years. Then I saw a Hisense in a deal in the build-up to the last world cup where John Lewis were doing some big deals as Hisense were a sponsor.

I got a Hisense H65N6800UK for £899.00, it was the flagship TV in 2017 and to be honest I loved it replacing my outgoing Samsung. My 50" Samsung was a 4K TV and it replaced the 32" 1080p Samsung before it. I didn't notice a big difference in the jump from HD to 4K.

However, the Hisense had HDR and the Samsung didn't. You definitely notice the difference between SDR and HDR, the jump is huge.

Anyway, the only reason I am bringing the Hisense up is to show that an upper-end Chinese TV has got some hands. I was perfectly happy with the TV until my mate got a Phillips Ambilight TV. I always though Ambilight was a massive gimmick, but honestly it's amazing, I was blown away by how vibrant and immersive it makes watching movies and gaming. I had to buy one. So I sold the Hisense, bought a 55" Ambilight. I loved the Phillips but going down from 65" to 55" annoyed me so last year I bought a 75" Phillips Ambilight TV and moved the 55" to bedroom duty.

This is the exact TV that I bought (0% APR - 12 Months Finance on Amazon):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B089NDJD9C

TL;DR: Fuck Samsung, all hail Ambilight! Trust me, go check it out.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:34 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtings.com. I was told by various 'goldeneye' types that their reviews are the most accurate for quality telly.

The LG OLED's are well regarded...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:50 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 65 inch Samsung QLED a while back and am very happy with it, especially for the £849 it cost me.
It’s like playing GTA in life size in my small sitting room with my sofa and TV about 8ft apart. That said it works
at its best when the input signal is 4k. I recently rewatched Breaking Bad on netflix in 4k and it was epic. Some of the
cinematic scenes in the desert looked amazing!!

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:35 - 19 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sky Glass? https://www.sky.com/glass

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 00:12 - 20 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Projector and screen. Why settle for a piddly 50" screen? Mine measures up as 84" and it's zoomed in as far as it goes. I'm considering buying a bigger screen, should get up to about 120" without moving the projector and an added bonus there's no TV to be tripping over, when the cscreen is rolled up, you don't know it's there. Got all the tech in an old-fashioned hi-fi cabinet in the corner.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:47 - 20 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Projector and screen. Why settle for a piddly 50" screen?

Quality over size every time.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:21 - 21 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:

Well that all depends on the projector.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:08 - 21 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

xX-Alex-Xx wrote:

Sky going into TV's on the never never to lock people into their system, clever. I wonder if we are seeing the end of sattelite TV and everything being streamed.

I have free sat in the main room but all the other tv's have firesticks which work fine. If the freesat went down it wouldn't really bother me but wifie likes the simplicity. She is female after all. Cool

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:13 - 21 Oct 2021    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Paddy. wrote:

Well that all depends on the projector.

I've run some very expensive projectors, you'll never get the quality of a TV. I have bad eyesight too so quality matters not but no projjector will beat a TV
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 178 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1