Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Static Motorcycle Collection - prep

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

instigator.
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:41 - 19 Mar 2022    Post subject: Static Motorcycle Collection - prep Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've been recently bitten by the collecting bug that seems to be a trend which is driving up the price of older, used motorcycles.

I've got 3 bikes that I bought over the last 6 months that I never intend to use. I've proven that they run fine for my own benefit (taken video evidence etc) but I never intend to use them moving forward. They will form part of a hopefully growing collection as I become an old b4stard and ride less and less.

Does anyone have recommendations on how best to prep them for not being used? The tyres and battery I am not worried about but more the oil, Fuel in the tank and carbs, and avoiding corrosion during winter months (in an unheated but 'attached' garage). Whilst I don't ever intend to sell them, life has a habit of dropping some sh1t on you at times and I'm realistic enough to know if it does, they would have to be on the first to sell list.

For those interested, the bikes are Kawasaki ZXR400 L9, Cagiva Mito Evo 2 and Aprilia RS125, all low mileage and mint examples - all the bikes I wanted as a spotty oik but never got around to.

Thanks

Bhud
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:02 - 20 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride the crap out of them dude! These are the last days. Who cares if you have to buy a new chain or some more fuel line, or unblock your carb, or whatever. Make the most of these times while there is petrol.

instigator.
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:34 - 20 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhud wrote:
Ride the crap out of them dude! These are the last days. Who cares if you have to buy a new chain or some more fuel line, or unblock your carb, or whatever. Make the most of these times while there is petrol.

Nah, I have no time nor interest for that. I don't get as much enjoyment out of riding as I used to, times have changed, I still keep one that I can use from time to time but be surprised if I do more than 600miles a year on it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 08:58 - 20 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keeping them in vaguely running order is going to be irrelevant because they'll be useless other than as museum pieces in a few years when petrol gets banned. I wonder if they'll still hold their value when they can't even theoretically be ridden? Most people collect old 2-strokes and such because they think in their head they'd like to ride them, even if they don't

One of the reasons I built a big, high compression enfield is it wouldn't take very much work to convert it to run on pure bioethanol in the future (ironic really, a 75 year old engine design and it's my future-proof bike). Just a fiddle with the jetting and ignition timing and a new fuel line would have it running on alcohol.

I disagree with what you are doing because they are meant to be rid not hid and if you leave the strokers unrun, the crank seals will go so they'd need a full rebuild anyway to put them back into service. Anyway, I'd buy a load of silica gel pouches, drain the fuel, stick a pouch in the tank and vacuum bag them with a couple more pouches in the bag. They should be perfectly clean, dry and rust free before they go in the bag, maybe wipe over the tinwork with ACF50 first.

instigator.
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:10 - 20 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Thanks for your input. I really just wanted someone to confirm the idea of using silica pouches for the tank to be honest. So thanks for that.

I'd appreciate you of all would disagree with the approach of collecting and not using but given I just don't get the time anymore, I'd rather like to keep a few as essentially pieces of artwork that remind me a lot of my youth. I've been privvy to a number of large private collections of late and know the collecting world is growing fairly rapidly hence the desire to get good condition ones now for acceptable prices. All the collections I've seen are bikes that haven't touched the road for 20+ years and never intend to, passing from collector to collector. If I can, I'll probably put them in my office when I get one.

I do still have a bike for using (new R7) so I can get out when I get those rare opportunities to without needing to maintain 4 machines that are roadworthy.

Cheers

xX-Alex-Xx
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:08 - 20 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Keeping them in vaguely running order is going to be irrelevant because they'll be useless other than as museum pieces in a few years when petrol gets banned. I wonder if they'll still hold their value when they can't even theoretically be ridden? Most people collect old 2-strokes and such because they think in their head they'd like to ride them, even if they don't

Maybe over here but more civilised countries will probably keep petrol going for a while. And just cos the UK is banning the sale of new petrol cars in 2030 doesn't mean it won't be available immediately after.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:39 - 20 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old man had LOTS of stamps, they were worth money, an investment indeed. He used to berate me for pouring money into that 'pit' of motorcycle ownership. Then all the old blokes who used to collect stamps ( when we had an empire there was plenty of choice GB and commonwealth) started to peg it , collections were sold and stamps fell in value. No one wanted them( except a few real special ones).
And hey guess what- motorcycles ( and old cars) started being the in thing to invest in with good returns possible for the right machines, an appreciating asset , and fun too.
BUT every month at our club meeting someones widow is trying to Flog freds old bikes and the comment is ' she must have got the prices off the back of classic bike magazine' No one wants them at those prices. When all the old blokes who know the difference between a Vellocete and a Vincent have all died off and all the kids that were weaned onto computers and have never had a driving licence have the all money all the old motorbikes will be worth next to nothing and early Playstations and Nintendo's will be like Gold Dust.

instigator.
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:05 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a tendency to agree because people who try to invest in them don't really know what will hold their value and what will not. But either way, I do not do it to get money back from it in 20 years time. I do it for the emotions it envokes and the memories of my youth. If they can hold their value at the same time, great. I'm relatively confident they will simply because they are not 5 figure investments like 250cc 2 strokes fetch these days.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:15 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, my brother in law will be doing an auction of someone's lifetime collection and tbh.the 8 odd bikes are worth fuck all apart from.the modern guzzi. That includes the velocette. They are all in immaculate conditioning and running.

In total maybe worth 20 grand on a good day.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:50 - 21 Mar 2022    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:

BUT every month at our club meeting someones widow is trying to Flog freds old bikes and the comment is ' she must have got the prices off the back of classic bike magazine' No one wants them at those prices. When all the old blokes who know the difference between a Vellocete and a Vincent have all died off and all the kids that were weaned onto computers and have never had a driving licence have the all money all the old motorbikes will be worth next to nothing and early Playstations and Nintendo's will be like Gold Dust.

I tend to agree with this.. there will always be a moving curve of peak value for 'trinkets'. Even fine antique furniture has had it's day. While as a sixteener I lusted after a Fizzy (got) and then a 250 LC (didn't get) my son at sixteen has no interest in wheels whatever - a stunning indifference in fact so his mid-life trinket aspirations s will be somewhat different to mine.
However some rare items transcend from mere trinkets with a momentary appeal to a higher plane.. HRDs and Broughs I guess are the notable items for us and rate alongside works of art from an old master. I mean I'd sooner pay 54 large for some actual hardware like a Rapide than some imaginary bits of binary blockchain that says I own side-eying Chloe FFS Rolling Eyes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58687070

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 2 years, 37 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1